What is 1+2x3?

What is 1+2x3?

53 posts
20 July 2013
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisaster
It's 7, but any sensible learning aid (human or book) would have put brackets round the 2x3.

Posted 21 July 2013
Photoimager
Photographer
Photoimager
Socialdisaster
..  but any sensible learning aid (human or book) would have put brackets round the 2x3.

Nope, brackets are not required. If you fully understand brackets then BIDMAS would also be understood making the brackets redundant. KISS principal.

Posted 21 July 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
Photoimager
Nope, brackets are not required. If you fully understand brackets then BIDMAS would also be understood making the brackets redundant. KISS principal.
Clearly that's not true. Brackets clarify the expression, they are much more easily understood than the precedence of operators. In the real world the meaning of the expression would generally be clearer E.g I have one pound and can save 3 ponds a week so in two weeks time I will have 1 + (2x3) = £7 Or each week mum gives me £1 and dad gives me £2 so in 3 weeks I will have (1+2) x 3 = £9.
Posted 21 July 2013
Edited by stolenfaces 21 July 2013
hhoa
Photographer
hhoa
1 + 2 x 3 = 7 due to the order of operations in mathematics as i learnt at school.
1 + 2 x 3 should be the same as 1 + (2 x 3). Brackets should be unnecessary.

Posted 21 July 2013
NATKINS
Photographer
NATKINS
Andy_B

While (1+2)x3 is always 9
and
1+(2x3) is always 7

1+2x3 is always 7 and never 9.

I hear what you're saying, but apparently a basic calculator and Nokia are wrong too...

cf. 'On my basic calculator, the answer is 9. On my Nokia phone in Portrait it is also 9'

Oh well, there goes my education - good job I'm a photographer...

Nick
Posted 21 July 2013
jes
Model
jes
This is not my type of post...I'm outa here!  *leaves in a cloud of dust!*

Posted 21 July 2013
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
NATKINS

I hear what you're saying, but apparently a basic calculator and Nokia are wrong too...

cf. 'On my basic calculator, the answer is 9. On my Nokia phone in Portrait it is also 9'

Oh well, there goes my education - good job I'm a photographer...

Nick

A calculator is just a tool, you have to know how to operate it. A basic calculator can only work with two numbers at once - if the calculation has more then it's your job to enter them in the right order.

Saying the calculator is wrong is like blaming your car for being 'wrong' if you drive it the incorrect way up a one way street. It's not the car/calculator, it's the operator!!
Posted 21 July 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
hhoa
1 + 2 x 3 = 7 due to the order of operations in mathematics as i learnt at school. 1 + 2 x 3 should be the same as 1 + (2 x 3). Brackets should be unnecessary.
It's not mathematics - it's arithmetic
Posted 21 July 2013
hhoa
Photographer
hhoa
stolenfaces
It's not mathematics - it's arithmetic
Thanks
Posted 22 July 2013
ChrisVS
Photographer
ChrisVS
Andy_B

A calculator is just a tool, you have to know how to operate it. A basic calculator can only work with two numbers at once - if the calculation has more then it's your job to enter them in the right order.

Saying the calculator is wrong is like blaming your car for being 'wrong' if you drive it the incorrect way up a one way street. It's not the car/calculator, it's the operator!!

Yup.... it's the operator.

You should have entered the calculation into the calculator thus (to force it to do the multiplication first, as it doesn't know what's coming next): 2 x 3 + 1

Posted 22 July 2013
Er .............. did you all have a boring weekend then?
I had a shoot with a fabulous new model  -  after all, we are photographers, are we not?

sad
Posted 22 July 2013
mikethefoto
Photographer
mikethefoto
stolenfaces

Clearly that's not true. Brackets clarify the expression, they are much more easily understood than the precedence of operators. In the real world the meaning of the expression would generally be clearer E.g I have one pound and can save 3 ponds a week so in two weeks time I will have 1 + (2x3) = £7 Or each week mum gives me £1 and dad gives me £2 so in 3 weeks I will have (1+2) x 3 = £9.

In a month you will have enough ponds to make a lake!

Posted 22 July 2013
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
Why not use Reverse Polish Notation - no parenthesis needed!

Posted 22 July 2013
Edited by tonycsm 22 July 2013
StreetModel
Photographer
StreetModel
tonycsm

Why not use Reverse Polish Notation - no parenthesis needed!

Now THAT one you'll have to explain because I bet very few people have HP calculators...
Posted 22 July 2013
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
StreetModel

Now THAT one you'll have to explain because I bet very few people have HP calculators...

I'll leave you to look that one up as it takes a bit of explaining ... to be honest the last time I had anything to do with it was back in the 80's but it's a great concept if you're interested in mathematics!

Here's a link that will explain it probably better than me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Polish_notation

Posted 22 July 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join