Top Gear

36 posts
4 March 2013
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
It's probably the only TV program I watch - until the next Game of Thrones starts.

Half the time it's dissapointing, the other half it's good.

Posted 4 March 2013
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
modjo30

OK i think you're all missing the point. Top gear = Entertainment show, not car show 5th Gear = Car show I watch both and love each in their own right Never thinks of Top gear as a show for testing cars because it's not

You've got it in one, although I don't watch 5th gear. 

Posted 4 March 2013
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
acme
A Ferrari driving down a straight road versus a 2 legged cat climbing Everest with a washing machine tied to its back, and the cat wins it by 1 second!!!!
And of course, none of these challenges are rehearsed in any way, shape or form, they're just thought up, they turn up at the location and begin. And it's all done in one take with no editing. And they always finish within seconds of each other. Astounding.
Posted 4 March 2013
grahamwhite
Photographer
grahamwhite
A bit of missing the point going on here... It's the most watched TV programme... (drop an octave) In the World Megga, megga bucks, in fact there are only 25 or so countries that don't screen it as 'prime time TV' Even my 13 y/o daughter spotted a bit of rehearsed humour, every single minute is beautifully shot, with Hollywood epic budgets (helicopters, huge crew) and rehearsed to the nano second. I love it, mainly it's because its for people like us, not Public school toffs (in my humble opinion)
Posted 5 March 2013
Every so often it has a moment of sheer, petrol headed bliss that I can forgive the crap. The Bugatti vs the Typhoon - that beautifully shot turn and vertical dive from the jet. Pretty much the whole test of the (new) Nissan GTR was enough to give me alone time material for WEEKS. The car "reviews" might not be up to much but you have to admit it is a beautifully executed programme which films in some stunning locations. I particularly liked the Arctic episode, I had recently read the book on Richard Hammonds crash and he describes in there why he got so upset on the trip.

Posted 6 March 2013
djwilby
Photographer
djwilby
I'm not a big petrol head (I drive a Nissan Primera!) but I love the show.

I know that alot of it might be staged and scripted but I find it a lot funnier than other shows that they pass off for light entertainment.

The first part of the Africa show was excellent and I will be watching the second part on Sunday evening.
I knew it was coming, but watching the camera pan across Clarkson and May, having a cold one, sat on the bonnets of their car and then across to Hammond sat in the comfy chair was a lol moment.
Posted 6 March 2013
Edited by djwilby 6 March 2013
Holmax
Photographer
Holmax
I love it myself. Yes it's a bit cliché but who cares?
It's light entertainment with some incredible cars that most of us can only dream of owning. My favourite special was the Vietnam one with the mopeds, I don't think they'll ever top that one.

What I would love to see is re-runs of the really old top gears with Noel Edmunds etc. I'd just love to see them reviewing cars like the Austin Maestro and ohh'ing and arr'ing at its digital speedo etc.

Posted 7 March 2013
clarmike
Photographer
clarmike
I once came across Jeremy Clarkson in the port at Porto Vecchio, he had a big boat and said he had a villa there. I remarked that there must be a lot of money to be earned by driving cars badly. I think that sums up Top Gear
Posted 7 March 2013
Edited by clarmike 7 March 2013
alexkidd
Photographer
alexkidd
its ok, started getting a bit dull but there have been some gem moments like the hi-lux battering

as has been said it's the theatrics and false timing that started to put me off

Posted 7 March 2013
couchpotato
Photographer
couchpotato
Down here in New Zealand we get it about 2 years after you lot have seen it!

Posted 7 March 2013
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
couchpotato

Down here in New Zealand we get it about 2 years after you lot have seen it!

A bit like watching 'Dave' then.
Posted 9 March 2013
couchpotato
Photographer
couchpotato
I have just heard on the radio that Top Gear are filming on 90 mile beach today. They are filming a jet car? I can't find out if it's the UK presenters or the Aussie rip off guys.

Posted 10 March 2013
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
couchpotato
I have just heard on the radio that Top Gear are filming on 90 mile beach today. They are filming a jet car? I can't find out if it's the UK presenters or the Aussie rip off guys.
Now THAT (assuming it's shown over here if not filmed by the British crew) I WOULD like to watch.
Posted 10 March 2013
couchpotato
Photographer
couchpotato
The only reason it was talked about on the radio was that the local council gave permission without asking the locals who live on/nr the beach. It will most likely be on the news tonight if so I will post a link to the news channel.
Posted 10 March 2013
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
couchpotato
the local council gave permission without asking the locals who live on/nr the beach.
You can bet your bottom dollar that the company filming the programme offered your council big bucks, and unfortunately, as with councils everywhere, they take more notice of money than residents' views. No doubt they'll come out with a 'Puts money into the local economy,' justification for riding rough shod over those residents.
Posted 10 March 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join