Business cards - worth the bother?

Business cards - worth the bother?

29 posts
5 Feb 2013
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Daz_S

Ive seen business cards that hve space for about 150Mb on the back and you can put them in a CD drive to view extra imagery.

These are soooo yesterday!
Business cards with flip-out USB flash drives holding as much as 16gig are reasonably common these days.
I have both coin shaped and credit card sized versions sitting on my desk at the moment.
Bob

Posted 5 Feb 2013
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
Daz_S

Top tip: If you laminate your cards, they are less likely to get thrown away!! On another point, Ive seen business cards that hve space for about 150Mb on the back and you can put them in a CD drive to view extra imagery. Are they worth getting, or are people skittish about putting stuff like that in their computer?

Aren't most compters slot loading these days? You need a tray to use a CD business card. And optical media is all but dead now, anyway.
Posted 5 Feb 2013
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
I havn't personally as I use everything electronically - but at work I know plenty of people who seem to buy / requisition business card holders as they feel at ease browsing through those. It is a sort of "boys toy" for males of a certain age - which lets be honest is probably a reasonable amount of photographers

For those individuals, you may just be that one step ahead of models who dont give out cards and on an equal footing to those that do

Posted 5 Feb 2013
TLXmedia
Photographer
TLXmedia
Our humble opinion -

For a photographer - business cards great for weddings, portfolio/portrait work and events. But for Glamour/Web based assignments (where most of the contact is via email) not really worth it.

For a Model (given the contact with a model is frequently word of mouth, exchanging numbers), or replying via email to postings etc - not really that relevant, far better to set up a basic online portfolio.

Gail

Posted 6 Feb 2013
Edited by TLXmedia 6 Feb 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
As photographers usually use their real names, it is reasonably easy to design a card for any situation, whereas models usually have different personas for modelling and would not want to use the cards for all situations where a card might be handy.

So I rather doubt that business cards would really be worth it for models

Posted 6 Feb 2013
_Maz_
Model
_Maz_
I have printed Z cards that I'll use for networking events and put together with an invoice.

I'm on the fence with them though. I do think they're nice to have and look more professional, then again, I've dished a good lot out and not had anyone come back to me via them.

Posted 6 Feb 2013
KirstyWiseman
Photographer
KirstyWiseman
i carry business cards and A6 sized cards in my bag - easy for me as I also design and print them as well as Zed cards.

Posted 6 Feb 2013
EdT
Photographer
EdT
JenSomerfield
I think it's very relevant for photographers to have business cards, it's a bit different in the case of a model though.
I suppose it depends a lot on where you might be going where you are going to find photographers to hand them out to. I guess notice boards at studios would make a lot of sense.
JenSomerfield
I think I might go with moo!
I would thoroughly recommend them. Their printing is beautiful and the card is a very good quality.
Posted 7 Feb 2013
djwilby
Photographer
djwilby
Double check at the end of the order - some will put their own imprint on the back of your cards - unless you pay them extra to remove it!

If you were nearer I would be happy to offer you a TF business cards!

Posted 7 Feb 2013
DigiBluePhoto
Photographer
DigiBluePhoto
I have always given out business cards and also leave them in restaurants and garages etc. Good business sense. I make my own double sided and lamenated this way I can easily update the design if I need to. Steve
Posted 9 Feb 2013
Edited by DigiBluePhoto 8 Feb 2013
I've had a few sets printed off in the past.

I have left them with people and given them out. I wouldn't say its could ever have been a negative "thing" to have on hand.

The last lot I had done was with MOO - using various different images, which was handy as you can pick which one to give to somebody. Like if I meet somebody who is a clothing designer for example I'm more likely to give them a nice clothed image of me card.

This has reminded me that I really need to get some more done, I only have 5 in my purse left.

x

Posted 9 Feb 2013
Allinthemind
Photographer
Allinthemind
Yes. I've given a few business cards of models out to selective students of mine.
Si

Posted 9 Feb 2013
oscar
Photographer
oscar
Yes. Before the internet it was easy to give a card to a potential model.
Now I pass them out at networking events and photoshows.
Always give a card to a model as soon as we meet so that she knows who I am and where we are going ( if I meet them at the station).
Still hand them out in Asda, Tesco,and other places.
Last week it was at the dentists - dental nurse was showing off her (new)smile to the receptionists so I offered a shoot - gave her a card.

Print your own if you only need a couple of dozen. Blanks from Staples etc -setup in word.
Posted 9 Feb 2013
Edited by oscar 9 Feb 2013
diipii
Photographer
diipii
Its up to you to make them worth the bother.

Posted 9 Feb 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join