Any suggestions for tickly cough remedies?

Any suggestions for tickly cough remedies?

39 posts
31 Jan 2013
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
couchpotato

I thought scopolamine was a truth drug from the late 60's early 70's, the name is used in a few spy and adventure war movies of that time ??

It's the active ingredient in over the counter travel sickness pills such as Boots Travel Calms, Joy Rides, etc.

Posted 1 Feb 2013
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
skymouse

It's the active ingredient in over the counter travel sickness pills such as Boots Travel Calms, Joy Rides, etc.

Indeed it is, you MIGHT also be able to take things like decongestant medicines that are oevr the counter at Boots.
Can you take pseudo-ephedrine?
Posted 1 Feb 2013
My dear, late mum always swore by gargling with diluted down TCP...
Posted 1 Feb 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
JeromeRazoir

Can you take pseudo-ephedrine?

Apparently not
Posted 1 Feb 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
SuzyMonty

My dear, late mum always swore by gargling with diluted down TCP...

I feel sick at the slightest smell of that stuff.
Posted 1 Feb 2013
What about -
Ginger is a root and can be used to fight off the worst of coughs. It comes in many different forms, as you can purchase it whole, sliced or powdered. For this application, sliced would be the best. Take a few slices of the ginger and place them into your mouth. Chew the ginger until your urge to cough goes away. You can also mix some powdered ginger with some hot water and drink slowly when a cough strikes. The healing power in the ginger helps the inflammation of the throat, which in turn will subdue your cough.

Read more: #ixzz2JeDsdetP" style="color: #003399;">Remedies for a Tickly Cough | eHow.com #ixzz2JeDsdetP" style="color: #003399;">http://www.ehow.com/way_5275985_remedies-tickly-cough.html#ixzz2JeDsdetP
Posted 1 Feb 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
SuzyMonty

What about -
Ginger is a root and can be used to fight off the worst of coughs. It comes in many different forms, as you can purchase it whole, sliced or powdered. For this application, sliced would be the best. Take a few slices of the ginger and place them into your mouth. Chew the ginger until your urge to cough goes away. You can also mix some powdered ginger with some hot water and drink slowly when a cough strikes. The healing power in the ginger helps the inflammation of the throat, which in turn will subdue your cough.

Read more: #ixzz2JeDsdetP" style="color: #003399;" target="_blank">Remedies for a Tickly Cough | eHow.com #ixzz2JeDsdetP" style="color: #003399;" target="_blank">http://www.ehow.com/way_5275985_remedies-tickly-cough.html#ixzz2JeDsdetP

Ooh, that's handy - the garlic/honey syrup sounds OK, and I've got ginger at home as well.
Posted 1 Feb 2013
Honey and lemon is good too.
Slice a lemon into a jug, add plenty of runny honey and pour boiled water over it until the jug is full. Stir well and then pour yourself a drink of it every now and then.
Top jug up with hot water to keep a goodly supply.
Can also be sipped cold. 
Posted 1 Feb 2013
diipii
Photographer
diipii
Table spoon of Vic in a bowl of boiling water..towel over the head... works OK and got me through my first flu attack.

Posted 1 Feb 2013
Try squeezing some lemon juice into a mug, add a spoonful of honey, warm in the microwave for 10 seconds to blend the mixture then drink it like a spoonful of medicine rather than a hot drink, it hits the spot more directly than adding water.

The lemon has antiseptic properties.
The honey is soothing and has antibacterial properties.

Posted 2 Feb 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I'm on my third honey/lemon/ginger/garlic hot drink today And have had spoonful after spoonful of my garlic honey, which I think's fermenting (sort of) as the garlic strength in it seems to be growning. Really need to find someone to snog, bet my breath smells luverly.
Posted 2 Feb 2013
diipii

Table spoon of Vic in a bowl of boiling water..towel over the head... works OK and got me through my first flu attack.

Surely you dont have to drink the whole bowl, do you??
Posted 2 Feb 2013
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Why not ask your doctor on the phone?

I'm sure they have standard medicines they recommend for people taking other medications.

Posted 5 Feb 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Already done that, their suggestion is to let it follow its course.

Posted 5 Feb 2013
pmeswani
Photographer
pmeswani
RedChecker
Already done that, their suggestion is to let it follow its course.
Unfortunately, that may be the best remedy. If natural / herbal remedies or off the shelf medicine are going to cause you problems, you are better off allowing your body to deal with it in its own way.
Posted 5 Feb 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join