What do you say when...

What do you say when...

23 posts
19 Dec 2012
The best action was taken first off with a nice polite decline, I often manage to get the message across with the first "thanks, but no thanks" and haven't needed to go to the extreme of blocking a member on one particular portfolio hosting site. However I have had the same person contact me on different sites following decline on one with the exact same request.

Posted 20 Dec 2012
CCP
Photographer
CCP
I bet he's pissed off if he's read this thread.
Posted 20 Dec 2012
Fisherface
Make Up Artist
Fisherface
I've had the same happen to me.  I am very polite throughout the conversation but do have to be rather more blunt towards the end when they wont accept my reasons for not wanting to work with them.  It's Tf though.  I hardly ever turn down paid work, haha! 

Some people get defensive and others are quite gracious and understanding.  You can't be responsible for how people react, only your own actions.
Posted 20 Dec 2012
Tell him no! It's your free time you're giving up, why do you owe him/her any favours? And if he makes you feel bad, block him. Simples (I've had enough poor photographers begging me to do TFP with them and I politely decline, not my fault they get butthurt)
Posted 22 Dec 2012
mph
Photographer
mph
Brian_Markie

Or you could simply put it this way and think that if his folio is crap he may be starting out and trying to improve. So if all models told him to do one how will he or she ever improve? Tell him you'll do it but the fee has to be worth you attending.

Great idea - she makes a few quid and ends up with crap images all over the internet in a style she doesn't like and possibly has an unpleasant time to boot!

I know charity begins at home but............

CarolineAlexander

I don't want to work with a crap photographer who's offering to pay just for the sake of getting money - I'd much rather do TF with a really good photographer and get decent images that I can use.

Absolutely!

Posted 22 Dec 2012
Edited by mph 22 Dec 2012
Thanks everyone for your advice and understanding - great to have a rounded view from models, photographers and MUA's. Have a lovely Christmas!
Posted 23 Dec 2012
I am in a similar position with a photographer on another modelling site. He is two hours away which I said was too far for me travel and he said he will come to me. I said I can't work from home, which isn't a lie, and he is determined to make it work I'm running out of excuses! Merry Christmas also
Posted 25 Dec 2012
NewBananaRepublic
Photographer
NewBananaRepublic
"Hi models,

I am looking for some advice and would like to know what you think and if you have ever been in a similar situation.
What do you do/say when a photographer contacts you asking to do a shoot, but you look at their pics and they're very poor quality? This recently happened to me, and I responded politely and said that the style of his portfolio wasn't inkeeping with the style of mine, but thanked him for the interest. Of course it's always good to get offers and I don't want to sound ungrateful or anything, but this person won't take no for an answer. I don't know what to do or say to make them get the hint without coming across as blunt or rude! Has this ever happened to you? What would you say? Your help is appreciated! "

Sorry Caroline, It is obvious that I am not a model, may I suggest you add this to your bio...

"I am happy to consider offers only from photographers, professional or amateur, who can CLEARLY demonstrate quality work on their portfolios"

Michael

Posted 25 Dec 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join