Plus sized Art Nude Models

Plus sized Art Nude Models

44 posts
30 Sep 2012
katiesoze

I take pictures of bigger ladies regularly. I prefer looking at them to skinny girls but that's from a completely non-sexual point of view. If I was a 50 year old man and I had some money in my pocket to pay a model to spend time with me naked for 3 hours my opinion might be a lot different.

So it would be fair to say that you think the majority of photographers book models because they look at them from a sexual viewpoint?

I prefer slimmer models, not because I want to have sex with them - I mentioned on the first page my reasons why I have the preference I do so I can understand entirely why male photographers would have the same preference as me when it comes to shooting models. There is a difference between photographically what you find attractive and what you sexually find attractive. Some prefer slim models and others prefer larger models, nobody is wrong.. 

Posted 2 Oct 2012
Edited by Love 7 Oct 2012
Follyhouse
Photographer
Follyhouse
I expect there's a graph somewhere that illustrates the relationship of waist & hip ratios to artistic integrity
Posted 3 Oct 2012
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
There's an image by Gary Breckheimer that features a nude BBW that I've always fancied using as inspiration for a shoot. However all the suitably sized models I've approached initially gush with enthusiasm but then bottle out. I think they're all too body-conscious - at least the ones I've spoken to are.
Posted 3 Oct 2012
I love seeing art nude images and I don't mind if the model is slim or plus size. If it's a beautfiul image, should it matter what size the model is?

As someone said above, slim models and plus size models create different shadows when doing this genre. It's all down the personal taste really.

I done my first nude shoot earlier this year and although I was nervous and worried about what the images would look like, I soon lost the nerves, enjoyed myself and actually loved the images I received. (I would show some here but I don't know how).

Posted 3 Oct 2012
I consider myself plus-sized because of my crazy hips and thighs. And I do a lot of art nude work. I get a lot of good reactions particularly from art classes who like that I resemble the artists' models of the Renaissance. It helps that I can bend interestingly.
Posted 7 Oct 2012
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
I do some life drawing, as well as photography.

My preference for photography would be a younger/slimmer model... because I find them easier to light, and post-processing less.

For drawing I'd much rather draw a larger/older model, because they provide much greater variation of line and texture. Drawing perfect skin/stick thin models gets dull pretty quickly.

Posted 7 Oct 2012
Fisherface
Make Up Artist
Fisherface
SuzyMonty

The famous 1538 Titian's 'Venus of Urbino' had plenty of flesh on her...

Cute dog!  Is that person being sick in the background?  Looks like a scene from one of my parties.
Posted 7 Oct 2012
Edited by Love 7 Oct 2012
Serena
Model
Serena
Life classes love older and bigger ladies but find it hard to get them. In art-nude photography I think slim or medium is best but as in most cases it's not what you've got more than what you do with it. I've seen some shockingly boring slim art-nude photos so size doesn't always matter.

Posted 8 Oct 2012
its my personal preference to see slimmer girls in art nude but I am sure there are some lovely larger ladies who look great in this genre, it's not for me though.Its a shame as I miss it but most art nudes seem to be a size 6,8 or small ten and my hips and bum are never going to shrink down to that size again!

Posted 8 Oct 2012
Edited by laurenlangley 8 Oct 2012
Snappercartier
Photographer
Snappercartier
My image example is in a flash slideshow so is not likely to show here, but it is of a large lady gardener in her shed. She looks superb by any standards. http://www.dontwelookgoodwithoutclothes.com/Naked/in-my-garden.html
I tried to copy and paste a jpeg, but that didn't work. Is there a way to post an image other than through a website link?
Ian

Posted 22 Oct 2012
Edited by Snappercartier 22 Oct 2012
Been following this thread quite closely- there are a couple of plus-sized art-nude models in the US (as in, *properly* plus sized). Shyly, for example: http://missshyly.deviantart.com/

I'm occasionally told I'm plus sized due to the abundance of curve-osity here. (I'm a size 10) :P

Posted 24 Oct 2012
Edited by Roswell_Ivory 24 Oct 2012

Here's my attempt at a nude shoot back in March this year I'm a UK 16

As I said in a previous post, I believe nude images can look amazing, whatever size the model. But I do understand and appreciate everyone has their own tastes.

Posted 24 Oct 2012
Edited by DamagedRoses1987 24 Oct 2012
Candice Huffine does plus size nude VERY well. Google is your friend.

Posted 24 Oct 2012
absolutely love this topic.

Posted 27 Feb 2014
Jackass
Photographer
Jackass
The popularity of stick thin models is a relatively recent phenomenon. Up until the 60's a size 12 model was pretty much the norm, Marylin Monroe was a size 14 and she did alright. One can only hope that the modern trend for underweight models will pass, as to me a proportionately built size 12-14 is pretty much perfect - as can be seen by JadedRed in an earlier post.

Posted 27 Feb 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join