Model Mayhem

41 posts
10 Dec 2007
Serena
Model
Serena
I joined Model Mayhem about 3 months ago.  I have had 1 shoot from there with a chap called Adrian Cutter.  I thoroughly recommend him.  We did some great stuff in Liverpool.  Do check him out.  Great guy. 

I've not had any other work from there yet but I think it's a site worth putting a few pictures on. happy5
Posted 11 Dec 2007
Venustas
Photographer
Venustas

Personally I find MM friendlier. The people on there have always been free with the advice and help when needed and certainly seem to show a more open mind to things.

Some of the people on here really shock me at how rude agressive or downright bitchy they can be and had this site been my first experience of photographer/model networking sites online I would have just turned the pc back off and stuck to business cards and ads.
Yes on MM there are those types too but they get shot down by everyone else as arrogant egotistical pillocks whereas on here they seem to be in the majority.

Having said that there are plenty of decent people on here and being more uk based I have had more models contact me on here for tfp (mixed blessing).

Saying there are better photographers on here compared to all you can find on MM is concieted and I wasnt shocked to note it was a moderator who said as much.

I note sombody says photogs on MM only offer TFP well shock shock horror horror thats the case with models on here and MM and all over the net because the view of nearly everyone on the internet is everything should be for free. I get paid more by doing events. I just do the odd TFP via these sites to bulk up the portfolio to get the paid jobs outside of the net.

Posted 12 Dec 2007
Edited by Venustas 12 Dec 2007
What I meant is that on MM I've experienced to get nothing but TFPCD offers. No paid work whatsoever. While on here and NM I do actually get quite a lot of paid work.

And I kinda get the impression that on MM the reason they dont pay their models is because they got the "my amazing talent and excellent work should be payment enough for the model" attitude, and not like on here and NM that they dont pay because they simply just cant afford paying their models.

Thats what I've experienced anyway...

Posted 12 Dec 2007
Lizzie_P
Photographer
Lizzie_P
Venustas

Personally I find MM friendlier. The people on there have always been free with the advice and help when needed and certainly seem to show a more open mind to things.

Some of the people on here really shock me at how rude agressive or downright bitchy they can be and had this site been my first experience of photographer/model networking sites online I would have just turned the pc back off and stuck to business cards and ads.
Yes on MM there are those types too but they get shot down by everyone else as arrogant egotistical pillocks whereas on here they seem to be in the majority.

Having said that there are plenty of decent people on here and being more uk based I have had more models contact me on here for tfp (mixed blessing).

Saying there are better photographers on here compared to all you can find on MM is concieted and I wasnt shocked to note it was a moderator who said as much.

I note sombody says photogs on MM only offer TFP well shock shock horror horror thats the case with models on here and MM and all over the net because the view of nearly everyone on the internet is everything should be for free. I get paid more by doing events. I just do the odd TFP via these sites to bulk up the portfolio to get the paid jobs outside of the net.

I agree, the forums have a lot more advice and interesting discussion topics. It is also a lot busier, and the topics move much quicker so theres always something new to read. I don't post so the friendliness thing doesn't bother me, and even though they are mostly American, they do give some good advice. I tend to listen more to the Pro New York fashion photogs who post, I figure they know what they are talking about!
Posted 12 Dec 2007
Im on MM, I dont really find it any good for work as it seems USA orientated, but the people are sweet

Posted 13 Dec 2007
I didn't get on with MM. I was constantly being pestered about dating related things and I got a bit sick of it and posted on the forums asking people to respect that I was on there to work and not to date.
All I received were bitchy and sarcastic comments from men and women saying things like "oh woe is me, I'm so attractive and I hate that guys keep hitting on me - you poor thing!"

Frankly, I'd rather not be associated with or surrounded by people like that.

Posted 13 Dec 2007
Bob
Photographer
Bob

"Frankly, I'd rather not be associated with or surrounded by people like that."

Unfortunately, as the bulk of the forumeers on there are American, one is likely to be surrounded by people like that. Just as our friends across the Pond often have difficulty appreciating our sense of humour, we sometimes have difficulty coming to terms with their frankness.

Bob

Posted 13 Dec 2007
Well either way, I dealt with how I felt was best and left the site - that was 2 years ago!

Posted 13 Dec 2007
Bob
Photographer
Bob

You haven't really missed much.

Bob winking2

Posted 13 Dec 2007
c h r i s
Photographer
c h r i s

Model Mayhem 'Rocks' I love the American attitude, the models, photographers, Stylists are highly motivated.

The quality of work is outstanding, you'll find people who have just started to photographers who have shot for mags such as Vouge.

The forums can be harsh and blunt and are not for the faint hearted. It can also be incredibly funny.

And I seemed to be like there just check my port and tags.

MM crosses over from a web site to the real world.

Posted 13 Dec 2007
TonyS
Photographer
TonyS
MM's search tools are good

Posted 13 Dec 2007
c h r i s
Photographer
c h r i s

Thank Tyler for that.. and he still won't give me a free T-shirt.

You will also get professional experienced models with stunning ports wanting to do tfp and are prepared to travell.

Models will also pay for a portfolio.

Here we get models with mobile phone snaps with the tag ' professional' and ' no tfp'.

People on MM are very passionate about photography and creating images. Just recived an e-mail from a model in NY who expressed a 'genuine' interest in working with me if I was ever in the States.

Posted 13 Dec 2007
Edited by c h r i s 13 Dec 2007
katterfelto
Photographer
katterfelto
I don't use the MM forums but the response from models is much better than here.

Posted 13 Dec 2007
nath88
Model
nath88
I have a portfolio on there but don't post in forums as the last 3 times i have i've ended up in arguements with various members... seems they have no sense of humor... or a very poop 1 at that! *americans* COUGH!happy4
Posted 13 Dec 2007
DaveSanderson
Photographer
DaveSanderso..
matt

I wouldn't agree with that, there are plenty of photographers on here that out-class alot, if not all of the members on MM
I'm sorry, are you on crack?
Posted 14 Dec 2007
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join