Models who look young for their age, should this be a problem?

Models who look young for their age, should this be a problem?

It seems this conversation has now been locked
40 posts
3 Aug 2012
amyjaney1994

I know there are different genres in modelling but this is a question generally in the industry all together, if you have a look through my pictures I am probably one of the few youngest girls on here ( being 18 ) however, I look young and only stand at 5'3. Curse or advantage? What do you think? Who else here is a spring chicken who feels this way? I do not want to get into glamour FOR NOW but in future I feel as though as it will hold me back in future. Please post your opinions on this guys! Amy Jane xXx

Being short, yep definately can work against you.
Looking young, not so much and useful as you get older
Not wanting to do glamour, definately a disadvantage as you are too short realistically for most paid fashion work.
Most work on the internet for girls with similar stats and age to yours is going to be glamour, lingerie stuff or nude, just how it is, doesnt mean you cant get work in other areas, but its quite often the case that photographers will book a model who works to at least topless levels and just shoot the clothed stuff with them first so you may find you have to work harder to stand out.

Posted 3 Aug 2012
Its horrible, you have just got to show you're no pushover, know your morals, levels and goals and don't let anyone tell you any different or change your mind. Its a dog eat dog world and I hope you exposed him by writing it on his recommendations! My saying is 'don't give people ammunition' meaning don't tell anyone in the industry your problems or insecurities as they could use it against you.
XxxX

Posted 3 Aug 2012
Sirensong
Being short, yep definately can work against you. Looking young, not so much and useful as you get older Not wanting to do glamour, definately a disadvantage as you are too short realistically for most paid fashion work. Most work on the internet for girls with similar stats and age to yours is going to be glamour, lingerie stuff or nude, just how it is, doesnt mean you cant get work in other areas, but its quite often the case that photographers will book a model who works to at least topless levels and just shoot the clothed stuff with them first so you may find you have to work harder to stand out.
I think you should do something better with your time rather than posting negative irrelevant information on threads. You haven't even worked as long as this photographer that advised me or even been published as much as he has. You're the only person on here who has given such uncouraging advice! I have been told I could do well regardless of my height by photographers who have much more experience. Still won't stop me trying, still proud of my height and for your information it will work to my advantage as it gave me my curves and makes my bust more prominent. I would appreciate if you don't post on here again or ill report abuse.
Posted 3 Aug 2012
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
There are indeed other types like 'petite, lifestyle, fitness, editorial, etc.'. I just don't know how much of a market there is for that type of work and what the rates of pay are like. I'd say give them all a go and see which ones want you and which ones you enjoy. However I think you probably need to get your skates on.

Posted 3 Aug 2012
Sorry wrong person!! I'm on my mobile you see I thought it was someone spamming but bear in mind what I said. Its just irrelevant what you said.

Posted 3 Aug 2012
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
amyjaney1994
Sorry wrong person!! I'm on my mobile you see I thought it was someone spamming but bear in mind what I said. Its just irrelevant what you said.
Can you say that again in English? Thanks To me you look like a brunette version of brookieg89 on here. She's a similar height and build to you. She might be able to tell you her experience of modelling.
Posted 3 Aug 2012
amyjaney1994

I think you should do something better with your time rather than posting negative irrelevant information on threads. You haven't even worked as long as this photographer that advised me or even been published as much as he has. You're the only person on here who has given such uncouraging advice! I have been told I could do well regardless of my height by photographers who have much more experience. Still won't stop me trying, still proud of my height and for your information it will work to my advantage as it gave me my curves and makes my bust more prominent. I would appreciate if you don't post on here again or ill report abuse.

Whut?
I am glad you are proud of your height and and curves, good for you, more people should like themselves.. but all the loving yourself in the world doesnt magically mean internet sites like this will change.
There is work out there for you, but it will be harder for you than some others because despite being a pretty girl you are shorter than most and dont shoot glamour or nude.

You asked questions, I answered them honestly
Posted 3 Aug 2012
As I cannot delete this thread I won't even bother reading any post after this post. I am not even going to get wound up by ignorant people who have nothing better to do than give negative advice that has nothing to do with my question! Most of you are just claiming to be professional and experienced and act like you know it all when you clearly DON'T, you're just mainly hobbyists that take advantage or MAYBE a model who's not doing as well so they put others down because POSSIBLY their past it.
This is not going to stop me from doing what I'm doing due to my height.

Posted 3 Aug 2012
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
Quoted from your profile notes:

"If you are passionate, got a fair amount of good reviews, knowledge about the industry and feel that we can help eachother out, do not hesitate to e-mail me as I am willing to take direction, learn new things and take in advice."

"If you're really genuine, I would love to hear from you"

Remove it - stuff like that is like a magnet to all the weirdos and delusionals that only want to cuddle you.

Whilst you're at it you might also remove the following as it's mildly insulting to other models and photographers:

"I am not willing to get it all out for nothing or as a 'hobby', I respect myself more than that."
Posted 3 Aug 2012
amyjaney1994

As I cannot delete this thread I won't even bother reading any post after this post. I am not even going to get wound up by ignorant people who have nothing better to do than give negative advice that has nothing to do with my question! Most of you are just claiming to be professional and experienced and act like you know it all when you clearly DON'T, you're just mainly hobbyists that take advantage or MAYBE a model who's not doing as well so they put others down because POSSIBLY their past it. This is not going to stop me from doing what I'm doing due to my height.

LOL.

Yep, you shall go far..
Posted 3 Aug 2012
Posted 3 Aug 2012
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Sirensong
LOL. Yep, you shall go far..
I think she means I'll only take in advice I want to hear. I suspect the advice that sirensong has given is pretty accurate. However there are always exceptions to the norm maybe you'll be one of them.
Posted 3 Aug 2012
Looking young shouldn't be a problem. In any genre. You're very beautiful and I don't think you look *that* young. However, more generally and seeing as you mention genres, you're unlikely to make a living in modelling unless you take your clothes off and/or shoot glamour. As you know you're too short for fashion; if you worked at it you could probably get paid work in glamour/art nude/fetish work, but that's reliant on you being comfortable with those levels. If you're not comfortable with that, it might be best to consider modelling as a fun hobby that you sometimes get paid for. The kind of commercial work that you see in magazines will almost always go through agencies, which have a preference for taller girls.
Posted 3 Aug 2012
I'm a hobbiest AND past it AND I don't go over implied. Oh buggeration, I'm screwed.

Posted 3 Aug 2012
JennyWren

I'm a hobbiest AND past it AND I don't go over implied. Oh buggeration, I'm screwed.

I'm a hobbyist, even more past it, don't go over implied and I'm too fat to be a model. wink 4 years later... tra la la...
Posted 3 Aug 2012
It seems this conversation has now been locked