Paid work rates?

17 posts
12 April 2012
mph
Photographer
mph
Just click on the photo thumbnail on your profile - the comments will appear below the full size image

Posted 12 April 2012
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
One further aspect of this (but please don't take this as gospel, as I'm just speaking from my own perspective which will be different from the next photographer, etc)...

But in some cases rates is whatever the rates are on offer for a particular job. In other words, a company (or a photographer working for them) has a specific fee already worked out (or a publisher may have an earmarked budget of which the photographer is a kind of trustee with only a limited scope for discretion), along with possibly various practical details (maybe including a choice of locations, a combination of models, what kind of material and how much of it is required, etc.) and inviting models to offer themselves as possible candidates for the modelling side is just part of the jigsaw. In this sense, rates isn't something you choose; it's something you find out in the course of answering casting calls, or approaching photographers who might have work, etc., and your input into the this is choosing what kind of work you'd like to be involved in, and what rates you're willing to accept and which ones you'll turn down.

I'm aware that this isn't how it always works, as discussions on the Forums indicate, but it is a perspective that may be worth being aware of.

Posted 13 April 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join