Hmmmmmmmmmm

68 posts
2 Jan 2010
Nick_Giles
Photographer
Nick_Giles
Secondskin

Awwwwwwwwwwwww NICK...I JUST LOVE YOU!!!!

REALLY . !! emoticon

Are you 'Priddy' . ?? emoticon

Nick
Posted 4 Jan 2010
majk
Photographer
majk
Nick_Giles

REALLY . !! emoticon

Nick

If not, we'd never know Nick, the woman is a pro priddyfier!
Posted 4 Jan 2010
Secondskin
Make Up Artist
Secondskin
Yes, i can hide a million sins..lol I love that word...im a priddyfier!!!!! ha ha. Click this link and make your own mind up ) http://s3.amazonaws.com/picable/2009/07/13/1160957_Ugliest-Woman-in-the-world_620.jpg
Posted 4 Jan 2010
majk
Photographer
majk
Secondskin

Yes, i can hide a million sins..lol I love that word...im a priddyfier!!!!! ha ha.Click this link and make your own mind up )http://s3.amazonaws.com/picable/2009/07/13/1160957_Ugliest-Woman-in-the-world_620.jpg

See Nick I told you she was good. This is her going out... You can tell by the hair!

ps. Gaynor, please at least make a link clickable if you're gonna ask us to click it
Posted 4 Jan 2010
Edited by majk 4 Jan 2010
Nick_Giles
Photographer
Nick_Giles
Secondskin

http://s3.amazonaws.com/picable/2009/07/13/1160957_Ugliest-Woman-in-the-world_620.jpg

That sure is one hell of a scary 'Nosh-buddy'  emoticon

Nick

Posted 4 Jan 2010
Edited by Nick_Giles 4 Jan 2010
Secondskin
Make Up Artist
Secondskin
Im sorry Majk. No matter how i try i cant get my pc to do that image pasting thing. Even DUANE cant get it to work (((
Posted 4 Jan 2010
Secondskin
Make Up Artist
Secondskin
Nick_Giles

REALLY . !! emoticon

Nick

Iv actually never been called priddy!! Iv been told im not the 'pretty type' ha ha, whatever that means.  I  have a pic of myself on my profile...but Nick..be kind, i know you....lol...you will rip me to shreeeeeeeeeeeeeeds!!!! lol

OHHHH God, iv just thrown myself to the wolves!!!!!!! ha ha emoticonemoticon
Posted 4 Jan 2010
Victoria_Howard
Make Up Artist
Victoria_Howard
Bob

Regarding the cost of materials, as most models seem to carry at least a stick or two of lippy and a tub of pollyfilla could the MUA not use that instead so that model and MUA were effectively just trading time rather than the MUA having to shell out on make-up too. after all, the model does not give the make-up back at the end of the shoot so she's gaining even more in exchange for her time.

Bob emoticon

PS Does using ridiculously priced imports and big name high value products really make that much of a difference - or are MUAs like those photographers who think that having the highest priced equipment is much more important than having natural skill and ability to use any equipment to hand?

Yes there is a difference! For example there must be 10 brands of body paint easily obtainable in the UK, however 2/3 of these are imported, I use one make of paint simply because it has the best black and I have to use three different manufactures whites (there are lots of types of white), the list goes on with the other colors. Where possible I buy those made in the UK, however sometimes its just not being made in the UK or the stuff made isn't good enough for that particular job.

Every paint has a different property and its the same with make up, even thing like the temperature of the room can change choice of product to be used on a shoot.  There is a big difference between drug store make  up and professional photographic make up (NOT JUST THE PRICE).  Even models with quite large make up selections often don't have the right type of make up for a particular look.  I could write and entire essay about the cost on brushes and why one brush is better than another. As for the name of the product a lot of the products we use are trade only,  and so its usually people in the trade whom have even heard of them.

Its a combination of natural skill and good make up which made a good MUA.
Posted 5 Jan 2010
Edited by Victoria_Howard 5 Jan 2010
majk
Photographer
majk
Secondskin

Iv actually never been called priddy!! Iv been told im not the 'pretty type' ha ha, whatever that means.  I  have a pic of myself on my profile...but Nick..be kind, i know you....lol...you will rip me to shreeeeeeeeeeeeeeds!!!! lol

OHHHH God, iv just thrown myself to the wolves!!!!!!! ha ha emoticonemoticon

#c00000; ">Grrrrrr baby!

#1f497d; ">
#1f497d; ">
#1f497d; ">
Posted 5 Jan 2010
I've got to agree, a make up artists kit is definitely well beyond any standard womens makeup bags. Ive done a few makeup artistry modules along with a diploma in beauty therapy, and the difference between professional and high street can't be stressed enough. Not to mention bases, primers and fixers which most people haven't heard of and won't have in their makeup bags. Then the time after the shoot when the makeup needs to be cleaned and put away properly (i.e not left open, in sunlight etc) and the brushes (which are freakin expensive) need properly cleaned in different solutions. We were told to shampoo ours as the quality of the brushes we had weren't near professional. Theres also things like sponges, wipes, cotton buds etc which all cost money. Then the case to carry it all. It all mounts up.
Posted 5 Jan 2010
majk
Photographer
majk
I'm just gonna put this out here... and I'd be interested on opinions of all "sides".

On a Swedish equivalent of Purestorm (obviously much smaller member base and it seems to have a smaller percentage of "flakes" (well, except for me that is), the guideline/norm/starting base of payment that everyone seems to be ok with is;

TF* shoots:
photographer doesn't get "paid" by anyone.
model doesn't get "paid" by anyone.
mua doesn't get "paid" by anyone.
studio cost is split on three.

equal time is spent shooting for each three portfolios (i.e perhaps arty shots for the photographer, beauty, 3/4, full length fashion for the model and close up beauty shots for the mua)

all three gets edited pictures.

Photographer seeks model, paid shoot:
photographer doesn't get "paid" by anyone.
model gets paid by photographer
mua gets paid by photographer and model
studio cost is paid by photographer

all time is spent shoot for the photographer.

photographer keeps all images.

Model seeks photographer, paid shoot:
photographer gets "paid" by model.
model doesn't get paid by anyone.
studio cost is paid by model

all time is spent shoot for the model.

model gets an agreed number of shots, photographer keeps all images.

MUA seeks photographer and model, paid shoot:
photographer gets paid by photographer.
mua doesn't get "paid" by anyone
studio cost is paid by mua

all time is spent shoot for the mua.

mua gets an agreed number of shots, photographer keeps all images.

Commissioned shoot.
photographer gets paid by client.
model gets paid by client.
mua gets paid by client.
studio cost is paid by client

all time is spent shoot for the client.

client gets an agreed number of shots, photographer keeps all images.

To me, this sounds pretty much spot on. And of course, each "setup" is always up for changes to what ever the involved parties agrees upon. But couldn't purestorm do well with a "suggested standard" that the community as a whole supports. As a sort of starting point of negotiations... 

I think it would cut down on the "who does this [insert as appropriate] think he/she is?! They have the nerve to wanting cash, make up, a free meal and a good shag! AND THE PICTURES!!!??? BURN THEM!!!!"-threads...

Or. Should I just shut up and get my coat?

* Mods, if this is off topic and should be it's own thread, feel free to move it to a suitable location.

Posted 5 Jan 2010
Edited by majk 5 Jan 2010
We all have expenditure - just try buying phtotgraphic gear!  Never mind the cost of studio gear, lights, props, backgrounds etc.

New Canon 1D Mk lV £4599 - mouth watering in price.  Will stick with my Mk lll but in time it will need replaced.

Studio hire, insurance, editing time, shoot time - the list goes on. 

So considering we all have expenditure of this magnitude - why is it that that everyone wants "you" for "free"? 
Posted 5 Jan 2010
paulcoxphotography
Photographer
paulcoxphotography
majk

Photographer seeks model, paid shoot:

Model seeks photographer, paid shoot:

MUA seeks photographer and model, paid shoot:
photographer gets paid by photographer.

I'd question these ones above...

Posted 5 Jan 2010
majk
Photographer
majk
paulcoxphotography

I'd question these ones above...

Yay, an anwser!

Ok, how would you prefer them? (Honest question, I'm trying to get to somewhere useful with this).

The reason behind that other sites guideline was that there are very few qualified mua's that do it as a hobby, it's a job and most often mua's do that as their full time career. And they don't have the same "use" of images captured as a hobbyist photographer (oooh, loot at my priddy pictures) or a hobbyist model (oooh, look at my priddy pictures). The only use of pictures an mua have are pure portfolio purposes and they rarely get useful pictures from pure hobbyist shoots. And a mua doesn't need a portfolio of 400 pictures.

Most hobby photographers/models have other sources of income.
Posted 5 Jan 2010
Secondskin
Make Up Artist
Secondskin
majk

#c00000;">Grrrrrr baby!

#1f497d;">
#1f497d;">
#1f497d;">

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH AUSTIN!!!!!!!!!! lol
Posted 5 Jan 2010
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join