To Chaperone....Or Not To Chaperone?...............

To Chaperone....Or Not To Chaperone?...............

It seems this conversation has now been locked
31 posts
18 Oct 2009
"OK - serious advice... if you are going to bring a chaperone don't bring your boyfriend! its a pain in the arse and although it may make you feel comfortable its totally the opposite for the photographer. To be honest tho, if you are working with professional photographers in a professional environment there is no need at all to bring one.. If you are going to work with dodgy GWC's in hotel rooms.. well.. thats not modeling so its not really relivant.. but sure.. bring a friend to watch the perv get a hard on looking at you naked emoticon"

Ok well that is useful thanks, this is what i mean though! Photographers assume this is what i think of them, that they are perves or dangerous- thats not it at all. I am new to this, now i understand chaperones are not necessary- thats all i wanted to find out.

Generally pro photographers are fine, but i have had my fair share of sleezy guys approach me who i can see are not interested in being a good photographer, they are just on here to chat girls up, i dont even think they are photographers at all, so i cant help being insecure.

Anyway, ive got the message now, check out the photographer, have a look at their work, get references and no chaperone necessary.
Posted 18 Oct 2009
eddkingphotography
Photographer
eddkingphotography
megan88121

"OK - serious advice... if you are going to bring a chaperone don't bring your boyfriend! its a pain in the arse and although it may make you feel comfortable its totally the opposite for the photographer. To be honest tho, if you are working with professional photographers in a professional environment there is no need at all to bring one.. If you are going to work with dodgy GWC's in hotel rooms.. well.. thats not modeling so its not really relivant.. but sure.. bring a friend to watch the perv get a hard on looking at you naked emoticon"

Ok well that is useful thanks, this is what i mean though! Photographers assume this is what i think of them, that they are perves or dangerous- thats not it at all. I am new to this, now i understand chaperones are not necessary- thats all i wanted to find out.

Generally pro photographers are fine, but i have had my fair share of sleezy guys approach me who i can see are not interested in being a good photographer, they are just on here to chat girls up, i dont even think they are photographers at all, so i cant help being insecure.

Anyway, ive got the message now, check out the photographer, have a look at their work, get references and no chaperone necessary.

Steer clear of the sleazes and you'll do just fine - good luck with it all emoticon

Now... back to my big problem... anyone got any good tips on how to dispose of my victims!?!
Posted 18 Oct 2009
Studio25
Photographer
Studio25
megan88121

I am new to modelling, the first professional and very kind photographer who helped me on my way advised that a chaperone is a good idea...

It's a very good idea for a newcomer. When you've built up your confidence and you can spot the idiots, you'll find a chaperone is as much a nuisance as the photographer does, but when you're staring out, it should help your confidence.

Boyfriends and dads apparently make terrible chaperones. Worst two I've ever had, though, were bride's mum, the first occasion she was a self-proclaimed photographer, who only shut up when I pointed out that if I did everything the same way she thought it needed to be done, there would be no point them coming to me for a shoot.

The second time, it was the same, but with my MUA catching the grief about everything she was "doing wrong". I should maybe have said something, but it was a good learning experience for her, and it was quite entertaining to see someone else on the receiving end of a chaperone.

Posted 18 Oct 2009
SAD
Photographer
SAD
eddkingphotography

Steer clear of the sleazes and you'll do just fine - good luck with it all emoticon

Now... back to my big problem... anyone got any good tips on how to dispose of my victims!?!

Tried an acid bath?

Do a Mrs Miggins into Cornish pasties...

or the Exmouth beach mud flats works well... so Russ reckons!emoticon
Posted 18 Oct 2009
Studio25:

Thank you thank you thank you, thats what i was looking for- thats exactly it, its just a confidence thing while i am starting out and detecting the idiots from the genuine photographers. I am pretty sure with experience, like you said, that i will prefer to go to a shoot on my own.

Thanks again
Posted 18 Oct 2009
ChrisConway
Photographer
ChrisConway
I've got a no-chaperone policy.

I'm not going to have someone watching me work or distracting the model, and I certainly wouldn't leave a complete stranger sat in my office waiting for a shoot to finish.

The only time I don't mind a chaperone is when its a location shoot as they come in handy for holding reflectors etc. But even then I wouldn't want it to be a boyfriend that was there.

I used to chaperone my ex to shoots before I started photography, I think that was more out of curiosity about the industry than for her safety, but it made her feel better having someone there with her. Now I realise how much of a pain in the ass I probably was for the photographers!

Try and compare it to other industries where you may be alone with a "professional" who you don't know well or at all. Your first driving lesson for example, would you expect your boyfriend to be able to ride along with you for your safety?

Posted 18 Oct 2009
eddkingphotography
Photographer
eddkingphotography
SAD

Tried an acid bath?

Do a Mrs Miggins into Cornish pasties...

or the Exmouth beach mud flats works well... so Russ reckons!emoticon

Cheers!

Very nice to meet you at the rapists and murderers night out yesterday by the way sir!
Posted 18 Oct 2009
hmmm, thats a clever answer, i agree with you on that

Posted 18 Oct 2009
RayLiu
Photographer
RayLiu
MODERATORS - I hope your reading! Just a suggestion. (Wasnt going to contribute to the thread but as its still going... ) If you don't want people to keep on creating threads about Chaperones, why dont you just stick the masssive Chaperone thread at the top of this forum and make it a sticky? Better still, Matt, heres one for you, any time someone submit the words Chaperone in the title when they are starting a topic, do a pop up/or validation saying have they seen the massive thread that already exists.
Posted 18 Oct 2009
SAD
Photographer
SAD
eddkingphotography

Cheers!

Very nice to meet you at the rapists and murderers night out yesterday by the way sir!

Yes, undoubtedly see you at the Psychotics & Sociopaths Ball next month emoticon

And Megan... as somebody posted earlier, a lot of it is down to you and how each shoot adds to your experience.... maybe you should PM a few models local to you and ask them which are the most reliable/respected photographers in your area.... and then check them out....

As you've only been here a week you'll undoubtedly have been getting umpteen PM's asking you to shoot.... again check them out, ask for refs, PM models they've worked with... as you have more shoots and your experience grows then you'll be able to weed out the GWC brigade....emoticon
Posted 18 Oct 2009
SAD

Yes, undoubtedly see you at the Psychotics & Sociopaths Ball next month emoticon

And Megan... as somebody posted earlier, a lot of it is down to you and how each shoot adds to your experience.... maybe you should PM a few models local to you and ask them which are the most reliable/respected photographers in your area.... and then check them out....

As you've only been here a week you'll undoubtedly have been getting umpteen PM's asking you to shoot.... again check them out, ask for refs, PM models they've worked with... as you have more shoots and your experience grows then you'll be able to weed out the GWC brigade....emoticon

emoticonThank you thats v helpful- what the GWC mean? and did i do something bad by posting this?
Posted 18 Oct 2009
SAD
Photographer
SAD
Guy With Camera... a quite derogatory term for a photographer.....namely a sleaze who likes to see women nude or however with no interest in creating art or good images.....
Posted 18 Oct 2009
SAD

Guy With Camera... a quite derogatory term for a photographer.....namely a sleaze who likes to see women nude or however with no interest in creating art or good images.....

Ahhhhh i see, ok that makes sense! I have had lots of GWC's, i think i am getting the hang of this whole thing now
Posted 18 Oct 2009
ARCADIA_IMAGES
Photographer
ARCADIA_IMAGES
eddkingphotography

I have no problem with models bringing chaperones.. Gives my assistant someone to rape too...

EDIT - space under my patio is getting quite limited tho.. so no fatties please!

whhhhooohhh HAHAAHHAHAHAAHHHH HAAAAAA HAAAA HHH HEEEEH EHEHHEHEHEEE OMG.

hold on a sec while I nip in the larder..........

rustle rustle

emoticon THERE OK carry on

Posted 19 Oct 2009
tinki05
Model
tinki05
I always feel most secure when bringing a chaperone. Even if its to sit and have a coffee while i meet the photogapher, it just gives me more time to feel comfortable and get to know the other person. Most of the time, now ive gained quite alot of confidence, i just have my boyfriend or a friend drive me to the shoot, help me take in my stuff to the studio or to the location... I'll have a 10 minute chat before we start the shoot then my chaperone will dissapear... Any photographer who has a problem with this, i put in the trash.. Sorry to be blatent
Posted 19 Oct 2009
It seems this conversation has now been locked