i have been thinking...

i have been thinking...

18 posts
1 Oct 2009
Shellyb
Make Up Artist
Shellyb
Can I just put another spin on things guys. Ok the way I see it is there are quite a few factors in the issues we all feel.

I agree with what Victoria said about people coming out of college and not know what to charge, but there is also another way to look at that. You can't expect someone who has just finished college to charge as much as a make-up artist with several years experience behind them. Remember that you can do 2,3,4,& 5 day courses and come out as a "qualified make-up artist". I think a lot of the colleges fail in teaching their students a lot of basics to do with the industry, but I guess that could be argued as they will learn from experience.

The other thing is everyone is so secretive about their rates. When I approched this subject on another site I had a couple of people attack me for saying it and telling me that a make-up artists rates are their own business no-one elses. With that in mind, if no one will tell you how much they charge, how are you supposed to know if you are undercutting each other???

I agree with Claire's comments about being able to pass on work to one another without the fear of them poaching your clients. In an ideal world that wouldn't happen, but it's difficult to stop. Even if you trust someone, it may still happen. Unfotunatly that's just life.

Posted 9 Oct 2009
ProMakeupMichelle
Make Up Artist
ProMakeupMic..
Hiya everyone, I totally agree with what is being said here & on the sticking together subject, that is why I have my own team of Make-up Artists. If I cannot do a job or am double booked or I need a a team of Artists for a fashion show or event I call on the small list of Make-up Artist I have, who I know work to a high standard as me & can represent everything I stand for in my career. eg. I am doing a bridal fayre this weekend, I have my own stand as always & if one of my team comes along to help me out I will offer her any bookings I cannot do myself. Networking with each other as professional Make-up Artists is key!!
Posted 13 Oct 2009
angelmakeupartistry
Make Up Artist
angelmakeupa..
There are so many people that work for free too which annoys me!! and also half their pics are totally photoshopped to oblivion, making them look better! So some photographers may go for them because they think their work is good when its actually a pile of cow dung. This actually can take away work from us, these people under cutting so much! In my opinion too many makeup artists are being trained and there are too many fake makeup artists as I call them!xx

Posted 10 Jan 2010
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join