scottish referendum

scottish referendum

257 posts
14 Sep 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
JTD

I’m not suggesting that they would migrate south. They could remain in Scotland the same as other Europeans do in the UK at present. It would just mean that the country would have 50% or so Scots with Scottish Passports and 50% Scots with British Passports. They would still all be Scots living in Scotland but some have the right to live in the UK and vote accordingly if the going gets tough and if they so wish.

That assumes the UK will grant passports to anyone in Scotland who asks. It might.....but more likely, that offer would cease the day Scotland became inderpendent.

Only Scots in the UK would be entitled to retain their UK passports...as they would be UK citizens by virtue of their residency. In any normal situation...if they have strong connections to Scotland one would expect the Scottish govt to grant them Scottish passports as well. Same with any UK citizens in Scotland.

But it is all theory at the moment....
Posted 18 Sep 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
anthonyh

I mentioned that earlier...and that it is likely to be the more affluent Scots that choose to migrate south. And theoretically...if things will be as good as Salmond claims...poorer people should be planning to migrate north.frown

Yes - then he can tax the rich to help the poor

Oh hang on a minute....................... wink
Posted 18 Sep 2014
JTD
Photographer
JTD
anthonyh
That assumes the UK will grant passports to anyone in Scotland who asks. It might.....but more likely, that offer would cease the day Scotland became inderpendent. Only Scots in the UK would be entitled to retain their UK passports...as they would be UK citizens by virtue of their residency. In any normal situation...if they have strong connections to Scotland one would expect the Scottish govt to grant them Scottish passports as well. Same with any UK citizens in Scotland. But it is all theory at the moment....
I would not have thought that the British Government could strip someone of their nationality. My birth certificate and passport say I am British not English and I have a right to live in Great Britain regardless of whether it is bigger or smaller than it was at the time of my birth. I think that might come under Human Rights legislation.
Posted 18 Sep 2014
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
The first exit poll results have been released from the Island of Tiree
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Apparently it's too close to Coll!!!!!

Posted 18 Sep 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
JTD

I would not have thought that the British Government could strip someone of their nationality. My birth certificate and passport say I am British not English and I have a right to live in Great Britain regardless of whether it is bigger or smaller than it was at the time of my birth. I think that might come under Human Rights legislation.

You could be right...who knows? Salmond doesn't. But not all Scots will have a British passport anymore than they will all have a driving licence.....so what would they do? What would the children of British passport holders do if they were born in Scotland to Scots? And if a nation goes it's own way there has to come a time when its citizens cannot keep dipping into any goodies the previous country might offer. Although the Irish probably think differently.

As an example...say UK pensions moved ahead of those in Scotland (or the other way round). It is hard to envisage a situation where one can 'opt' for the best deal. I have read that there are already complicated plans to split who pays a state pension post inderpendence if someone has worked in both countries.....but that sounds like an admin nightmare in the making....surprise
Posted 18 Sep 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
click_gotcha

The first exit poll results have been released from the Island of Tiree > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Apparently it's too close to Coll!!!!!

That would be illegal...no news entity is allowed to comment on the progress of a UK election until polling ends....
Posted 18 Sep 2014
photostore
Photographer
photostore
trying to watch tv and can't hear it for the pipes playing here in Fife, i've laid my cards out but that may be a bit premature
Posted 18 Sep 2014
photostore
Photographer
photostore
a pearl of wisdom on the subject http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7VNQih51T0
Posted 18 Sep 2014
EdT
Photographer
EdT
anthonyh
That would be illegal...no news entity is allowed to comment on the progress of a UK election until polling ends....
Oh dear. Read what he wrote
Posted 18 Sep 2014
photostore
Photographer
photostore
one thing for sure is the lid is off and it wont go back on, regardless of which way it goes

Posted 18 Sep 2014
JTD
Photographer
JTD
photostore
one thing for sure is the lid is off and it wont go back on, regardless of which way it goes
Not necessarily so. As far as I am aware the wording of the question is: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" The fact that something "should be" doesn't mean to say it has to be or needs to be or it is in the best interest to be only that it has the right to be. There might still be room for discussion if both teams set their minds on it and weigh up the situation. It obviously gives Scotland the upper hand in negotiations with the ability to follow it through but there might still be some scope for a settlement to mutual advantage despite all the hype.
Posted 18 Sep 2014
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
anthonyh

Oh, no, I've been duped!!!!!  

Posted 18 Sep 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
anthonyh
Rubbish! There are often exit polls but they would be pretty meaningless in this case.
Posted 18 Sep 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
mph
Rubbish! There are often exit polls but they would be pretty meaningless in this case.
Exit polls are always given when the polls end for the simple reason that they are considered to be able to influence those still waiting to vote. They are covered by the same rules that prevent any media commenting on how the vote is going or reporting on campaigning.
Posted 19 Sep 2014
AmyC_01
Model
AmyC_01
If Scotland becomes independent will Scotland be able to enter the Eurovision Song Contest? If so Brilliant!! . (big Euro fan here!) Moving on, off to Scotland for a 3 day tour this weekend...regardless of the vote I can not wait. Love Scotland, everyone is friendly and I love the cold weather!! XX
Posted 19 Sep 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join