CANCELLATIONS - why book us? then cancel us?

CANCELLATIONS - why book us? then cancel us?

11 posts
24 Feb 2009
majestic_layers
Make Up Artist
majestic_lay..
why do models book you to work with them?

you research the project / travel / even buy extras like false eyelashes / nails etc anything specific to the shoot
and then the models OR EVEN PHOTOGRAPHERS cancel
or not get in touch

......... WHAT IS WITH THIS INDUSTRY? - lol I work at this full time
I rely on work to eat!
what is so hard to understand about that?

thank god ive got with some agncies.

we should have a no show box

'name and shame'

do any other MUA ask for deposits? if Its only an hour say £50 cash for one shoot- if they cancel what can we do?
I am going to start billing people that mess me around
third one so far!!!

rant over -
ruthy
Posted 24 Feb 2009
Edited by majestic_layers 24 Feb 2009
EleanorJames
Make Up Artist
EleanorJames
im in the same position - been booked up but then havent heard from them since no matter how much i chase them gets to the point where i cant chase anymore - i dont do this full time i run my own beauty business and if  my clients cancel i charge cancelation fees so cant see y u couldnt especially if its paid work x

Posted 24 Feb 2009
Victoria_Howard
Make Up Artist
Victoria_How..
If I don't show for my dentist he bills me full fee.
I'm starting to ask for deposits too. Sick of this nonsense.
Posted 25 Feb 2009
DannS
Model
DannS
#cc66cc;">Hyaa

I am a model not an MUA but I think if like myself a model is seriously interested in thier work & booked a MUA they wouldnt cancel .. MUAs when you get a no-show write a bad reference on profiles !!
We have made a shoot booking with you as much as the photographer !!
Let people know whats going on , then they know how it feels to have time wasted

Rant over

xxxemoticon
Posted 25 Feb 2009
jane_louise
Make Up Artist
jane_louise
I ask for deposits..no deposit means I dont turn up!
If I have worked with someone a few times and know they are reliable then I would not ask for a deposit, but people I have never worked with before, I always get a deposit off them so that I dont totally loose out if it cancels.
No one has seemed to be bothered by it either, the way I look at it is if they are bothered about paying it then the shoot is probably not 100% confirmed in which case they should not be booking me anyway.
Posted 26 Feb 2009
Secondskin
Make Up Artist
Secondskin
majestic_layers

why do models book you to work with them?

you research the project / travel / even buy extras like false eyelashes / nails etc anything specific to the shoot
and then the models OR EVEN PHOTOGRAPHERS cancel
or not get in touch

......... WHAT IS WITH THIS INDUSTRY? - lol I work at this full time
I rely on work to eat!
what is so hard to understand about that?

thank god ive got with some agncies.

we should have a no show box

'name and shame'

do any other MUA ask for deposits? if Its only an hour say £50 cash for one shoot- if they cancel what can we do?
I am going to start billing people that mess me around
third one so far!!!

rant over -
ruthy

Hi Ruthy

I bill too. I have to as bodypainting is so expensive and the materials are sometimes really time consuming to source, so it gets right on my nerves when a project that iv done a lot of research for is cancelled with hours to go!! VERY annoying.  And you can leave feedback on their portfolio for no shows??
Posted 26 Feb 2009
ClaireShipman
Make Up Artist
ClaireShipma..
All I can say is, these things happen. Lesson learned though - dont buy anything prior to a shoot unless you have recieved funds via paypal for eyelashes etc.

Posted 26 Feb 2009
I have looked through all of the MUA's who have posted on here and I wouldnt cancel on ANY of you! Or anyone else for that matter!! 

If someone cancels on you for a paid shoot then you would, IMHO, be paid if no good reason was given or enough time beforehand!
Posted 26 Feb 2009
ProMakeupMichelle
Make Up Artist
ProMakeupMic..
Unfortunaly Cancellations do sometimes happen
I myself have never had a cancellation or no show - only a reschedule, but have been notified beforehand.

but all that has been suggested do help to prevent you (us make-up artists) from incurring any losses

* Build a good trusting relationshiop (even if it is via email or by phone) with the client

* Ask for a small deposit to be paid to you to confim & secure their booking - via paypal is good (I usually go with between £20-£50 dependent on the job)
   If they question why you need a deposit this is a little worrying but just explain it will be to cover initial costings, to get stock for the job, etc.
   & explain that it is non refundable if they cancel (without rescheduling or if they do not turn up)

* Also check references to whom this person has worked with in the past, have they had comments or testimonials from other Make-up Artists etc.

Hope that helps Hun

Posted 2 March 2009
majestic_layers
Make Up Artist
majestic_lay..
Yes thank you it all helps

As I'm fairly new to this - any advice on setting up paypal
Pms greatly received I think deposits are the way to go !
Ruthy

Posted 19 March 2009
kruse
Photographer
kruse

I recently had to cancel a MUA for what both accepted was an entirely legitimate reason quite beyond my control.

It was unfortunate but unavoidable though has led me to the decision, in future, to pay any MUA I book, a significant deposit prior to the shoot. Were I to cancel for a similar reason in the future I would leave the decision entirely with the model as to whether she chose to refund the deposit or not.

Jeremy

Posted 19 March 2009
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join