Girls With A Kit!

20 posts
11 Nov 2008
lisataylor_mua
Make Up Artist
lisataylor_m..
 Despite having the thread about MUA account eligibility we seem to be having an influx of models offering their services for make up without being subject to moderation.  Can we expect to see these posts pulled at all?

I know it's been said over and over, but please people, don't book someone who hasn't had the relevant training. They won't know about the necessary hygiene and product safety procedures, nor will they have insurance.  These people are killing the make up  artist industry as well as putting your health at risk!
Posted 11 Nov 2008
ClaireShipman
Make Up Artist
ClaireShipma..
I totally agree, over the past few weeks I have been reporting several models posting for make up jobs with no mention of qualifications despite it being a necessity (apparently) on this site.

As said above these girls that want to play make up artist are putting your health at risk, there are some horrible infections caused by cross contamination from make up, please girls think about who you are booking!!

OK, so it might be free but at what cost... Conjunctivitis, maybe a cold sore or worse?

A profeshional Mua will be obsessed with hygiene (I know I am and proud of it!!!) please BE CAREFUL.
Posted 11 Nov 2008
Tracy79
Make Up Artist
Tracy79
 I also agree, if they want to practice then they should on their own face only. We should post up the pics that shows the infections you mentioned. Also the important point of insurance. The industry is bad enough at the moment trying to seek paid work.

Posted 11 Nov 2008
ClaireShipman
Make Up Artist
ClaireShipma..

Posted 11 Nov 2008
TB_Make_Up
Make Up Artist
TB_Make_Up

I thought I'd post a reply on this as I am a model and have both MUA and model accounts on here.

I am slowly increasing my MUA career in place of my modelling career (getting old!!). However I am fully qualified and am excessively clean when it comes to my kit, I give my kit a clean after a shoot then a thorough clean once I get home.

Maybe it would be a good idea for certificates to be posted on profiles as proof of training etc.

Just a thought

Posted 11 Nov 2008
lisataylor_mua
Make Up Artist
lisataylor_m..
LylacBlush

I think these two pictures really say it all!

Why would someone want to put themselves at that kind of risk???

Posted 12 Nov 2008
simplydivine
Make Up Artist
simplydivine
Totally agree with you ladies, its becoming tiresome to find increasing numbers of models who think they will "try their hand at make up" and take the work from pro MUA's  offering cheap rates when the modelling dries up... but having had no training or experience and as you say often no insurance!
Even a couple of weeks at college isn't sufficient training!
apart from the obvious hygeine issues there isn't the indepth tutition needed that most pro MUA's have to create the looks required for photography.
It really is very frustrating for us!!
Karen x
Posted 12 Nov 2008
lunafae
Model
lunafae
you make a good point. in my situation, i dont have enough images yet to create an MUA account, due to clients not wishing for images of themselves to be put on the internet. i have a qualification in theatrical make-up, A levels in Chem & Bio and a HND in illustration. my colleague has over 10 years as a Qualified hair stylist and also holds a GNVQ lvl3 in beauty therapy. so unfortunately, at the moment, i have to advertise myself through my model portfolio and word of mouth untill we have photographs of models which we can use on the internet. there may be some models/MUA's who are in a similar situation. but yes, i agree people should be careful with who they hire.
Posted 12 Nov 2008
face_forward
Make Up Artist
face_forward
If a model or photographer is stupid enough to use an un quallified make-up artist without the relevent insurance documents then more fool them. But I must say in all my years of working as a make-up artist I have only twice been asked to produce my insurance and certificates and they were both for teaching jobs!!! Even in the world of T.V which is what I work most in I have never been asked to show my documents.
Karen x
Posted 12 Nov 2008
TaniaClaireMakeup
Make Up Artist
TaniaClaireM..
I agree too, however I too am both model and make-up artist and shoot stylist and I was a photogrpaher for a while too.  I have been a model for over 20 yrs and a make-up artist for over 15yrs. I am hyper about cleaning stuff,  and I also work with an airbrush which does help dramatically with stopping any cross contamination.

My other bug bear is make-up artists that reply on Photo Shop to make their make-up look good. I now have old original prints from slides in my portfolio to show that my make-up doesn't need Photo Shop work to make it look good.

Rant over

T.xx

Posted 21 Nov 2008
lisataylor_mua
Make Up Artist
lisataylor_m..
LylacBlush

I totally agree, over the past few weeks I have been reporting several models posting for make up jobs with no mention of qualifications despite it being a necessity (apparently) on this site.

As said above these girls that want to play make up artist are putting your health at risk, there are some horrible infections caused by cross contamination from make up, please girls think about who you are booking!!

OK, so it might be free but at what cost... Conjunctivitis, maybe a cold sore or worse?

A profeshional Mua will be obsessed with hygiene (I know I am and proud of it!!!) please BE CAREFUL.

Do you know if your reports were actioned at all Claire?  I recently reported someone and as far as I can tell, there was nothing done.

Posted 7 Dec 2008
ClaireShipman
Make Up Artist
ClaireShipma..
lisataylor_mua

Do you know if your reports were actioned at all Claire?  I recently reported someone and as far as I can tell, there was nothing done.

Nope, as far as I can see nothing has been done, but then again I dont really check up on things, maybe I should start looking back to see if they have been deleted or not.
Posted 10 Dec 2008
LylacBlush

Nope, as far as I can see nothing has been done, but then again I dont really check up on things, maybe I should start looking back to see if they have been deleted or not.

Maybe the moderators checked with the model in question and she/he was able to provide proof of training?
Posted 13 Dec 2008
lisataylor_mua
Make Up Artist
lisataylor_m..
JaneWeiss

Maybe the moderators checked with the model in question and she/he was able to provide proof of training?

The person I reported quite clearly states on her profile she has had no formal training and will not be undertaking any until 2009, and then had the cheek to go on to say she will take cash or cheque payment!  She lives miles away from me so it's not going to affect my business, but I f feel frustrated for the properly trained people she could be taking work away from. It's annoying that there is supposed to be this 'No training=No profile' Policy, but it is totally unpoliced.

Posted 13 Dec 2008
photo3
Photographer
photo3
lisataylor_mua

It's annoying that there is supposed to be this 'No training=No profile' Policy, but it is totally unpoliced.

Unfortunately we do get a huge variety of reports of various types ranging from requests for photographer interaction to changes of DOB. It is possible that a report may get missed if it has happened on a day that has a lot of other activity so if you want to PM me I can check. I know profiles reported are being checked, some have been removed and others have provided evidence of their training.

We are also completely reliant on members reporting profiles. Whether it be for unqualified MUAs or a copyright theft etc we are unable to view all profiles so please continue to report any profiles that give cause for concern.

Andy
Admin team
Posted 14 Dec 2008
Edited by photo3 14 Dec 2008
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join