Removed Forum Posts

Removed Forum Posts

17 posts
17 April 2007
Two_stops
Photographer
Two_stops
It would appear that a post I made on a thread has disappeared, can we at least have email confirmation if that happens or a deleted post in the thread.

Thanks

John

Posted 17 April 2007
MikeJames
Photographer
MikeJames
HiJohn,

We do try and contact members when a post or thread is deleted as we like to keep members informed.

However due to various circumstances this is not always possible. Reasons can include lack of time or having to consult with another moderator first when a team decision has been made.

Sometimes we will also provisionally remove a thread post while we review the situaion as a Moderation Team. As a result of the teams views, the thread will either remain deleted or be reinstated. Often, PM's will not be sent out until a final decision has been made.

John, I will also be sending a PM regarding your post.

If anybody ever has a thread/post removed that they have nt been informed about, please feel free to contact one of the Mods who will be happy to deal with any issues.

Mike

Posted 17 April 2007
Edited by MikeJames 17 April 2007
Two_stops
Photographer
Two_stops
Well its now an hour and 5 minutes since your post Mike, and I'm still awaiting the email?

John

Posted 17 April 2007
gazl
Photographer
gazl
I've just posted this in General Chat - http://www.purestorm.com/forum/readThread.aspx?id=6022

It seems to be a general moderating policy

Posted 17 April 2007
MikeJames
Photographer
MikeJames
two_stops

Well its now an hour and 5 minutes since your post Mike, and I'm still awaiting the email? John
John, sorry for the delay but i have a lot to deal with. I still have other PM's I have not had the chance to deal with yet. I have now mailed you. Mike
Posted 17 April 2007
Two_stops
Photographer
Two_stops
Mail replied to.

John

Posted 17 April 2007
youpan
Photographer
youpan
We think that the moderators are getting a little trigger happy - just because you can, doesn't mean you should - & maybe so much censorship, is creating a slightly too sanitized an environment for honest opinions & views. It certainly give a false impression to novice models & photographers that all is sweetness & light - a utopia for the uninitiated, & ultimately does more harm than good...

(yes, we know you've been a moderator for years, etc. MikeJames - we've obeyed the law for years, but that doesn't make us policeman, either)

Posted 17 April 2007
Edited by youpan 17 April 2007
MikeJames
Photographer
MikeJames
youpan

We think that the moderators are getting a little trigger happy - just because you can, doesn't mean you should - & maybe so much censorship, is creating a slightly too sanitized an environment for honest opinions & views. It certainly give a false impression to novice models & photographers that all is sweetness & light - a utopia for the uninitiated, & ultimately does more harm than good... (yes, we know you've been a moderator for years, etc. MikeJames - we've obeyed the law for years, but that doesn't make us policeman, either)
Youpan, I acually agree with a lot of what you say. Im certainly not trigger happy. In truth, I have deleted very few posts. I do try to avoid deleting posts where possible. You are right, new models shouldnt think all things are sweetness and light. A lot of posts are deleted/edited due to containing personal info or contain copies of PM's or emails. These will be removed. With respect, what you dont see is what goes on behind the scenes such as all the PM's about threads. These all have to be dealt with as fairly as possible. I will hold up my hand up and say we dont always get things right but we do try and make sure things ae right in the end. Please also bear in mind that the new Mods were only apointed 10 days ago so we are still bedding in. Mike
Posted 18 April 2007
Edited by MikeJames 18 April 2007
gazl
Photographer
gazl
You will have my PM by now Mike, so you know I'm in line with Youpan's comments. Sweetness and light are all very good, but selective censorship doesn't sit well.

Posted 18 April 2007
alans_photography
Photographer
alans_photography
youpan

We think that the moderators are getting a little trigger happy - just because you can, doesn't mean you should - & maybe so much censorship, is creating a slightly too sanitized an environment for honest opinions & views. It certainly give a false impression to novice models & photographers that all is sweetness & light - a utopia for the uninitiated, & ultimately does more harm than good... (yes, we know you've been a moderator for years, etc. MikeJames - we've obeyed the law for years, but that doesn't make us policeman, either)
As you know youpan, me and you had a discussion some time ago which did get a bit heated, but now I feel I can get on with you more so I feel that being frank with each other did no harm in fact it helped both of us. Do you not agree but now that wont be able to happen on here anymore.
Posted 18 April 2007
Edited by alans_photography 18 April 2007
MikeJames
Photographer
MikeJames
alans_photography

As you know youpan, me and you had a discussion some time ago which did get a bit heated, but now I feel I can get on with you more so I feel that being frank with each other did no harm in fact it helped both of us. Do you not agree but now that wont be able to happen on here anymore.
The vast majority of frank posts remain in place. If a thread de-generates ito a mass argument, then we do sometimes need to intervene. We also look to prevent potential problems between posters in threads who have had past history of problems. We like to try and let things flow. The percentage of posts deleted is tiny in reality.
Posted 18 April 2007
youpan
Photographer
youpan
alans_photography

Yes, we agree that many of the discussions/arguments, etc. that took place not only between ourselves, but also with others, are a thing of the past now that this form of "moderation" is in place. Out of lively discussions - no matter how heated - often comes a lot of good, & as you know, we remained good-natured about it throughout (as we recall, you did too). From such opposing view points often comes a better understanding of others...
Posted 18 April 2007
MikeJames
Photographer
MikeJames
youpan

Yes, we agree that many of the discussions/arguments, etc. that took place not only between ourselves, but also with others, are a thing of the past now that this form of "moderation" is in place. Out of lively discussions - no matter how heated - often comes a lot of good, & as you know, we remained good-natured about it throughout (as we recall, you did too). From such opposing view points often comes a better understanding of others...
I agree with a lot of that. I also like to see lively discussions. There are many different personalities on here and what members find acceptable varies a lot. For every moderation action we take, we will have one person who thanks us and another who will criticise us. Its a case of damned if we do and damned if dont. To keep everybody happy, we have to try and strike a happy medium and sometimes we have to draw a line somewhere. As moderators, whatever we do, we will never keep all of the people happy all of the time.
Posted 18 April 2007
gazl
Photographer
gazl
At least stop doing selective edits. I don't mean phone numbers or personal details, but when whole comments are removed from an active thread. It skews the whole thread and makes it meaningless. If I start a thread saying the sky is green, twenty people disagree but I get the Mods to remove their comments, by default the sky is green.

If a thread becomes abusive lock it. Let others draw their own conclusions from the evidence. If a thread becomes libellous or defamatory then remove it. Purestorm is (or was) the most even handed forum I've come across. It occasionally (very occasionally) gets a bit heated, but usually only when someone oversteps the mark.

Posted 18 April 2007
Two_stops
Photographer
Two_stops
It would appear that my post was removed at the request of the original poster, and that thread hijacking was the motive.

When in fact I was replying to this post.

"Boat...Tyne...boat...Tyne...oh aye, floaty thing on watery thing. I was looking at doing the same sort of shoot myself but I'n not in the position of knowing anyone that has a boat, so I will have to pop down to my local marina and see if there are any Geordie millionaires about. May end up with two oars on the local pond, though. "Come in number 6". Good luck though Ian."

John

Posted 18 April 2007
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join