Public Liability Insurance for Photographer

Public Liability Insurance for Photographer

2 posts
3 weeks ago
reubenmidrange71
Photographer
reubenmidrange71

Is photography with models (amateur) indoors and outdoors without public liability insurance illegal? What are the keys risks working without when you are not using extra equipment or in your own studio, venue etc.

Cheers 

Posted 3 weeks ago
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron

No . It is not illegal as for risks. Well this is what happened to a bar stool we used in the studio while a client was on it. The Piston broke free and smashed clean through the seat injuring the client. We had tested it for safety ourselves just thirty seconds before too. That is the point of insurance. It is there to deal with situations you could not possibly forsee not simply carelessness.

While on insurance though it is more than public liability. If you are deemed to be dorecting and controlling the model then she may be deemed to be in your employ even if self employed for the perpuse of Empoyers liability insurance. That is a legal requirement. I'm not going to offer any advice there. The people to talk to are your insurance company or a solicitor not randome people on the internet you have never even met.

And yes I was fully covered against this and cannot begin to describe the relief when my insurer confirmed that. In the end the client did not pursue a claim but they did ask for my insurance details. While I will never know I do wonder if knowing they would need to deal with an insurer rather than making a claim against me in person was a decider in that.

Guess at the end of the day its a matter of 'Do you feel lucky punk?"

Posted 3 weeks ago
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join