Copyright date

11 posts
21 July 2018
Thunder_Photos
Photographer
Thunder_Photos

I have thousands of archive photos going back many years. Sometimes I go into them and find interesting photos I've never used before.

When I post photos to Purestorm I add my copyright date. Until recently this was the year taken but it struck me that they had never been published before so I now add the current date.

Does anyone know in fact which date is correct? Taken or first published (the same actually applies to photos I've used before but have re-edited)

Posted 21 July 2018
ChrisD
Photographer
ChrisD

@Thunder_Photos : Copyright exists from the moment the image is created, if you take a photo on the 21st of July 2008 the copyright comes into existence then. If you do not publish the photo until the 21st of July 2018, that is the date of publication, not copyright. Your copyright of that image has been in existence for ten years.

Posted 21 July 2018
Thunder_Photos
Photographer
Thunder_Photos
ChrisD

@Thunder_Photos : Copyright exists from the moment the image is created, if you take a photo on the 21st of July 2008 the copyright comes into existence then. If you do not publish the photo until the 21st of July 2018, that is the date of publication, not copyright. Your copyright of that image has been in existence for ten years.

I hear what you day and generally agree with you however, for example I have put some head and shoulders photos on here which are actually part of much larger older photos so I have created new photos.

Posted 21 July 2018
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Thunder_Photos

I have put some head and shoulders photos on here which are actually part of much larger older photos so I have created new photos.

The copyright date of each photograph is the date the photo is created.

If you have combined two photographs into a new piece of artwork, the copyright date of that work is the date that the work was created but copyright still subsists in the original photographs from the date they were taken.

It's not exactly rocket science, so even an archetypal Essex Girl / Boy should be able to comprehend it.

If in doubt, use our friend Google to find the 1988 Copyright Designs & Patents Act.

Seemples!

Posted 21 July 2018
ChrisD
Photographer
ChrisD
Thunder_Photos
ChrisD

I hear what you day and generally agree with you however, for example I have put some head and shoulders photos on here which are actually part of much larger older photos so I have created new photos.

@Thunder_Photos : Now you are amplifying and asking further/more detailed questions. I can see this mushrooming so I'm going to private message you to explain this in finer detail for the avoidance of doubt 

Posted 21 July 2018
Thunder_Photos
Photographer
Thunder_Photos
Bob
Thunder_Photos

I have put some head and shoulders photos on here which are actually part of much larger older photos so I have created new photos.

The copyright date of each photograph is the date the photo is created.

If you have combined two photographs into a new piece of artwork, the copyright date of that work is the date that the work was created but copyright still subsists in the original photographs from the date they were taken.

It's not exactly rocket science, so even an archetypal Essex Girl / Boy should be able to comprehend it.

If in doubt, use our friend Google to find the 1988 Copyright Designs & Patents Act.

Seemples!

Not being an Essex boy even I can understand that the original copyright exists from the date of taking but if I as copyright holder choose to create something new from my photos then copyright on my new creation is from then.

Good evening

Posted 21 July 2018
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Thunder_Photos
 if I as copyright holder choose to create something new from my photos then copyright on my new creation is from then.

If you comprehend that basic fact, why did you create this seemingly pointless thread?

Posted 21 July 2018
Thunder_Photos
Photographer
Thunder_Photos
Bob
Thunder_Photos
 if I as copyright holder choose to create something new from my photos then copyright on my new creation is from then.

If you comprehend that basic fact, why did you create this seemingly pointless thread?

To see who agreed with me.

G'day

Posted 21 July 2018
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Thunder_Photos

I don't think many who understand copyright legislation would agree that it is sensible to use Date of Publication, rather than Creation Date to assert one's copyright, as you originally said you were now doing, but as this it t'internet I'm sure somebody will eventually come along to try to convince that you hadn't made a potentially big mistake.

Posted 21 July 2018
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Bob
Thunder_Photos

I don't think many who understand copyright legislation would agree that it is sensible to use Date of Publication, rather than Creation Date to assert one's copyright, as you originally said you were now doing, but as this it t'internet I'm sure somebody will eventually come along to try to convince that you hadn't made a potentially big mistake.

Of course if they are really old @Bob and somebody else bought the film for him to use!

Posted 21 July 2018
Thunder_Photos
Photographer
Thunder_Photos
Bob
Thunder_Photos

As I said, many of the photos I refer to have been completely reedited.

Take this one https://www.purestorm.com/image/1597094 which has appeared on here as a "Headline Photo" The original was taken by me in 2014 and as such I own the copyright BUT the original shows the model laying nude on a bed. I have used just part of this photo and in addition have used a mix of PSP graphic enhancements so I maintain is a different creation to the original photo I own,

Posted 21 July 2018
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join