Raw & JPEG

21 posts
18 March 2018
Mr_Catz
Photographer
Mr_Catz

When I took an image (raw & JPEG) with my old camera (Sony A77) the JPEG would look to be spot-on to my eye, yet the raw image did not look right - particularly as regards to the white balance.

Does anyone know what is going on here?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Posted 18 March 2018
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
That's exactly how it's supposed to be.

Camera manufacturers spend $millions perfecting their presets to look 'perfect'. The RAW file is a completely unprocessed readout straight from the camera's sensor and ALWAYS requires further post processing to show the image at its best. Once you've mastered RAW processing, you'll end up with better images than any manufacturer's profile ever will, not least because for one thing, you're using an uncompressed image as opposed to a heavily compressed JPG.

Posted 18 March 2018
Mr_Catz
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photogra..
If you use the Sony software it can "develop" the RAW file so it looks like the in camera JPG.

Lightroom or other software can't.

Posted 18 March 2018
Mr_Catz
Photographer
Mr_Catz
RedChecker

That's exactly how it's supposed to be. Camera manufacturers spend $millions perfecting their presets to look 'perfect'. The RAW file is a completely unprocessed readout straight from the camera's sensor and ALWAYS requires further post processing to show the image at its best. Once you've mastered RAW processing, you'll end up with better images than any manufacturer's profile ever will, not least because for one thing, you're using an uncompressed image as opposed to a heavily compressed JPG.

That's good to know.

I edit most of my raw images using after shot 2. It sounds like I really do need to practice a lot more with my raw editing software. cheeky
Posted 18 March 2018
Mr_Catz
Photographer
Mr_Catz
PHP_Photography

If you use the Sony software it can "develop" the RAW file so it looks like the in camera JPG. Lightroom or other software can't.

Unfortunately I only have Corel paint shop pro 8 and after shot 2

What I usually do is edit in raw using after shot 2 and then finish off in Corel paint shop pro 8. frown
Posted 18 March 2018
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Ladiesman

Unfortunately I only have Corel paint shop pro 8 and after shot 2

What I usually do is edit in raw using after shot 2 and then finish off in Corel paint shop pro 8. frown

I believe you also get a license for a abbridged version of Phase 2 which is dedicated to your Sony camera. I know I did when I bought my Sony Alpha. I would not be surprised if it has a preset to give you something similar to the options on your camera settings too. Incidently Lightroom also creates some camera dedicated presets intended to come close to the cameras options .
Posted 18 March 2018
Edited by redbaron 18 March 2018
Mr_Catz
Photographer
Mr_Catz
redbaron

I believe you also get a license for a abbridged version of Phase 2 which is dedicated to your Sony camera. I know I did when I bought my Sony Alpha. I would not be surprised if it has a preset to give you something similar to the options on your camera settings too. Incidently Lightroom also creates some camera dedicated presets intended to come close to the cameras options .

I've now moved up to a Sony a 7r 11.

I must check the box of my camera and see if there is something like Phase 2. And of course see if there's anything on my camera settings.

Thank you for your help.

Posted 18 March 2018
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
This is the link to the download I think the Express version is free but Pro requires an upgrade Never actually bothered to check that out as I have LR and while I think Phase one is better it also means learning yet another sodding software program

Oh and this is the details of what youi get apparently
Posted 18 March 2018
Edited by redbaron 18 March 2018
Mr_Catz
Photographer
Mr_Catz
redbaron

This is the link to the download I think the Express version is free but Pro requires an upgrade Never actually bothered to check that out as I have LR and while I think Phase one is better it also means learning yet another sodding software program

Oh and this is the details of what youi get apparently

Thank you very much frown
Posted 18 March 2018
RBM_ltd
Photographer
RBM_ltd

This is a shot in the dark, but have you considered calibrating your lens. This is something I have only just discovered, some DSLR have this function hidden away in their menu system, it could be just slight out of focus and just noticeable on RAW.

If you want to give it a shot, and test it out, search for it on youtube. Otherwise, experience has told me over many years that Redchecker above is normally on the ball about these kind of things.

Posted 2 weeks ago
RBM_ltd
Photographer
RBM_ltd

*all and not ball ) sorry!

Posted 2 weeks ago
Mr_Catz
Photographer
Mr_Catz
RBM_ltd

This is a shot in the dark, but have you considered calibrating your lens. This is something I have only just discovered, some DSLR have this function hidden away in their menu system, it could be just slight out of focus and just noticeable on RAW.

If you want to give it a shot, and test it out, search for it on youtube. Otherwise, experience has told me over many years that Redchecker above is normally on the ball about these kind of things.

Apparently mirrorless cameras do not need lens calibration

It was the white balance that seems slightly off on the raw file as opposed to the JPEG.

Thank you for your help.

Posted 2 weeks ago
Edited by Mr_Catz 2 weeks ago
Two_stops
Photographer
Two_stops

Here's a link to Sony's own Raw convertor programme.

https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/app/imagingedge/en/download/?id=spt

Posted 2 weeks ago
Edited by Two_stops 2 weeks ago
Mr_Catz
studio301
Studio
studio301

Why not give Capture 1 a try (30 day free trial), they do a discounted price specifically for Sony Eur 79.

Posted 2 weeks ago
Mr_Catz
Photographer
Mr_Catz
studio301

Why not give Capture 1 a try (30 day free trial), they do a discounted price specifically for Sony Eur 79.

I will give it a try, although having a look at things I'm pretty sure it's just my lack of knowledge when it comes to using raw files.

Posted 2 weeks ago
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join