Reasonable rates?

10 posts
5 March 2018
Hi
I am just wondering how much models are asking for? The more experience I have and the more I update my portfolio why not make a bit of money? (So I’ve been told) This would also be to update anything I may need to buy for shoots.
Please note I don’t go up to topless/ nude. I’ve seen people get a lot more but personally it’s not something I wish to do. X

Posted 5 March 2018
MLP
Photographer
MLP

The standard business answer is ..... whatever the market will pay

But consider .... repeat work, more work, the style and type of work and the distance you travel
Posted 6 March 2018
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
I think you need to start with that updating first! I know plenty of models who have been doing it a few years and with portfolios that show a much wider range of style and posing that charge £25 and hour and less for the levels you are comfortable at right now.

It is simply not something you can create a generic rate card for. Take just 'fashion' look through any site and you will find a huge range of models offering this. I have had models turn up for such shoots thinking a battered bag full of creased clothes that have not seen a washing machine or iron for months is OK. Another model will have a huge range of branded fashion wear in the latest styles. One may be the archetype long limbed size zero that needs a stepladder to get eye level shots. Another not even fit into plus size.

Modelling is all about demand and supply The best models create their own demand. They culture a look that is unique to them. Sometimes taking advantage of their physical appearance, perhaps through what they bring to shoots like say laytex, or a specific alt look.

Personally I would do searches for models of a similar build. See who are the ones who seem to be getting in the work and examine how they are going about that and whether they quote rates.

Its a bit like the hot dog seller that pulls up onto a new pitch. First customer comes along and asks how much? He replies 1 dollar and the client buys. Next one comes along and asks. He replies 10 dollars. That one walks away. Bloke watching cannot hide his curiosity and goes over to ask what the real price is. No idea yet replies the vendor. But its somewhere between 1 dollar and 10.

Posted 7 March 2018
Thank you for the fab feedback, I am definitely working on things at the moment and think I may have found my style.
I also love buying clothes and makeup . My sister is a hairdresser and works at London fashion week styling so I think I need to work more on how I present myself and work towards who I want to work with etc xx

Posted 7 March 2018
Moorlane
Photographer
Moorlane
excellent advice from redbaron. rather than quote rates you could simply state that your rates are reasonable and that you do special rates for half and full days. Let the photographer contact you and enquire. If you like his/her work you could even suggest part paid so that you get some good new images for your port.

Posted 18 March 2018
Moorlane
Photographer
Moorlane
try to vary your portfolio with some outdoor shots? I mention this because if it looks like you do only studio work then some togs would possibly be put off by the thought of hiring a studio and then also paying the model. Just a thought. I appreciate that the weather is against you at the moment but when the weather gets better!

Posted 18 March 2018
jes
Model
jes
Hi, First of all I would suggest paying a good photographer for some quality images. If you want to earn some money you need to invest, just like any other business. I'm afraid most of your current images are not really of a good standard and some look to be out of focus. Also try to get a good range of styling and some images with natural make up. I currently charge £30 per hour for up to art nude. I am published and experienced and also a qualified mua. I was charging £25 per hour 25 years ago.. so this tells you something about the market!... I think a lot of other models charge similar rates though. Also remember you need to declare your earnings. I'm sure many don't, mind you! Best of luck Best of luck!
Posted 12 May 2018

I used to use purestorm around 6 years ago and it was so easy to get a portfolio up and running! Plenty of tfp shoots and some paid also! Iv decided to start over and start a new portfolio have messaged numerous photographers and put out casting calls and nothing! Is purestorm no longer what it used to be? Are there other sites I could try? Thank you in advance 

Posted 4 weeks ago
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Kaeleag1991

I used to use purestorm around 6 years ago and it was so easy to get a portfolio up and running! Plenty of tfp shoots and some paid also! Iv decided to start over and start a new portfolio have messaged numerous photographers and put out casting calls and nothing! Is purestorm no longer what it used to be? Are there other sites I could try? Thank you in advance 

Purestorm has just had a revamp so while it may take a while to get up to steam again those of us who kept popping in every now and then hope it will now pick up. Certainly it does seem a lot more active than a month or so ago, which I appreciate could be damning with faint praise to some. Yes there are other sites but in the same was as out of courtesy I would not push this site on their forums I'm not going to do that here, (though no doubt others will.) If you want to send me a PM though I will give you a list.

Posted 4 weeks ago
Two_stops
Photographer
Two_stops

Why not put out a casting call stating what you wish to achieve, and the terms you are willing to enter in to, to get what you want.

Posted 4 weeks ago
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join