What do I need to build my portfolio x

What do I need to build my portfolio x

9 posts
25 Feb 2018
I am looking to update my portfolio. I don’t have many images and I am looking to create a portfolio to take to an agency for possible work such as editorial, parts and extra work. I am realistic in Knowing I am not going to make a massive career in this but do enjoy it as a hobby. I would like to know what you all think I should add to my portfolio and what styles and looks I should try .
Thank you x

Posted 25 Feb 2018
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
I think the first thing to realise is that the needs of an agency tend to be very different from those of a site like this. At least the genuine agencies. Unfortunately there are a number that are simply fronts for high pressure photographers. The agency does not charge but their 'preferred' photographer certainly knows how to. For the intial approach a lot of genuine agenies do not want any more than the dreaded selfie to decide if they will take you on.

In terms of modelling sites like this a good cliean headshot and a full legth photo that shows your figure are for me basic essentials. You have them, though I think I would try the standing one again. Ths time without the coat draped over the handrail behind.

As a photography studio I have been grilled by my mentors to show what I want to sell and that is a good guide for a portfolio. If you want mainly fashion work then that is what to put on the portfolio. If it is lingerie shoots you love doing front up with them. I think you should aim for at least one of each style you offer.

In terms of the images you already have up the only one that really grates for me is the lingerie shot The skin smoothing on that is nothing short of criminal on the face

Oh and welcome to the madhouse.
Posted 25 Feb 2018
Edited by redbaron 25 Feb 2018
Oops I didn’t notice the coat..
Thank you for the advice, it’s difficult knowing what direction to take. Would you recommend taking the lingerie one down?

Thank you
CaraJane

Posted 25 Feb 2018
Edited by MissCaraJane 25 Feb 2018
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
I was hoping others would have chipped in by now!I would replace it as soon as you have something better but no need to panic. Again it shows a style you shoot and also your figure.

I do actually know some models that avoid putting up really good images because it loses work! Mainly the glamour stuff but apparently a lot of photographers will not approach a model who has images they don't feel able to match! I have even seen photographers admit they do this

Posted 26 Feb 2018
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
Yup. I agree with all the above.

Head and figure for an agency.

As for your port, its a very good start. As a rule of thumb, get some TF shoots under your belt so you build up a selection of good pictures which illustrate your chosen levels. This will allow you to delete selfies and snaps.

Posted 26 Feb 2018
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
As the dreaded TFP has been raised. While I agree it can be a way to build your portfolio I would suggest approaching with caution and be selective with who you choose to work with. Personally I would take that off the profile and approach photographers who have the callibre of work you want to put on your portfolio directly. Ideally with a shoot concept that matches what they shoot. At least if getting paid work is your prime aim. Once a model gets known for doing TFP it can be hard to transition to paid work later.

Posted 27 Feb 2018
Kimily
Photographer
Kimily
MissCaraJane
I am looking to update my portfolio. I don’t have many images and I am looking to create a portfolio to take to an agency for possible work such as editorial, parts and extra work. I am realistic in Knowing I am not going to make a massive career in this but do enjoy it as a hobby. I would like to know what you all think I should add to my portfolio and what styles and looks I should try . Thank you x
Realistically, any agency willing to take you on is unlikely to get you much (or perhaps any) commercial work. So, before signing, and certainly before parting with any cash, be sure to speak directly to other models who are with them to get an insight into how much work those models have actually received. If you do find an agency which might consider you, then study the images on their particular website - you'll need to find a photographer who's willing to work with you to produce a similar style. And beware photographers who logo their images as most agencies will not accept them. Good luck, but if I were you I'd put my effort into becoming a successful freelance model
Posted 27 Feb 2018
Edited by Kimily 27 Feb 2018
Thank you. Maybe I’ll try this modelling thing out haha. I wasn’t sure how many photographers would want to work with me but worth the try
Posted 27 Feb 2018
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Kimily

Realistically, any agency willing to take you on is unlikely to get you much (or perhaps any) commercial work. So, before signing, and certainly before parting with any cash, be sure to speak directly to other models who are with them to get an insight into how much work those models have actually received. If you do find an agency which might consider you, then study the images on their particular website - you'll need to find a photographer who's willing to work with you to produce a similar style. And beware photographers who logo their images as most agencies will not accept them. Good luck, but if I were you I'd put my effort into becoming a successful freelance model

It is a criminal offence for an agency to charge a joining fee or demand any up front charges. They can of course take commision on future work. The big thing to watch for is agencies that are really a front for the photographer they 'recommend' . Also their are a lot of 'Agencies' online that if you read their stuff carefully state in the small print they are not an Agency to get round this. Best to take a good look at the sort of models on their books and ask yourself if you fit their brief. Go by actual body measurements for  this not what  you think you are. Most genuine agencies will be quite blunt about your chances. Does not always mean they are right of course

Meantime get the castings out and have some fun
Posted 27 Feb 2018
Edited by redbaron 27 Feb 2018
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join