I Am Having An Affair Which May Lead To Divorce :/

I Am Having An Affair Which May Lead To Divorce :/

11 posts
24 Feb 2018
Bob
Photographer
Bob
After 22+ years of using Photoshop - I started with v.3.0 aka Tiger Mountain on Mac - I have purchased Affinity as I needed to buy a decent programme which I can run offline on an extra laptop I will be using while on foreign assignments where internet accessibility is close to non-existent.

Adapting to new way of working after such a long time is a bit of a challenge for an old f@rt like me, but I am surprised at how quickly I am picking it up and how good the results are for an outlay of less than six month's subscription to even the cheapest Photoshop option.

However no doubt there are issues I have not yet spotted, so before I file for divorce from Adobe can anyone using Affinity please advise on potential problems?

Bob

Posted 24 Feb 2018
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Odd that is the second time in a week Affinity has popped up on my radar, yet until then I had never heard of it. The other one was a thread on another old girl from the past NM. Ace uses it. Nor sure if he is on here under a different username. The thread is overlays and editing.

Indeed a few programs are starting to snap at their heels if you do not need the heavy stuff like liquify. On1 PhotoRaw now has what is effectively Lightroom built in and a lot of PS functionality as 'filters' Alien Skin does raw now as well.
Posted 24 Feb 2018
Edited by redbaron 24 Feb 2018
Bob
Photographer
Bob
redbaron

a few programs are starting to snap at their heels if you do not need the heavy stuff like liquify.

I don't have much need for Liquify, mostly because I don't have any great desire to turn Big Beached Whales into sylph-like Mermaids, so I won't miss that particular function.

I'm reading that thread on NM right now. Thanks.

Bob

Posted 24 Feb 2018
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Bob

I don't have much need for Liquify, mostly because I don't have any great desire to turn Big Beached Whales into sylph-like Mermaids, so I won't miss that particular function.

I'm reading that thread on NM right now. Thanks.

Bob

Alas when you shoot recent mums (and their babies) sporting double chins quick and judicious use of liquify can add considerably to the sales
Posted 24 Feb 2018
Bob
Photographer
Bob
redbaron

Alas when you shoot recent mums (and their babies) sporting double chins quick and judicious use of liquify can add considerably to the sales

Why? Aren't all babies supposed to look like Churchill?

Posted 24 Feb 2018
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Bob

Why? Aren't all babies supposed to look like Churchill?

Its mainly when Mums starts to look like Churchill I have issues on sales for some reason. The days of a brown background cloth, chair and table to one side with a vase of flowers are long gone when it comes to making a studio viable. It is getting more and more about the experience
Posted 25 Feb 2018
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Bob

However no doubt there are issues I have not yet spotted, so before I file for divorce from Adobe can anyone using Affinity please advise on potential problems?

DPR has lots of threads about Affinity, have a look what users are saying.
Posted 25 Feb 2018
Bob
Photographer
Bob
PHP_Photography

DPR has lots of threads about Affinity

I realise that the North Koreans are trying to be everybody's friend at the moment, but I honestly don't think I'd be willing to take their advice quite yet.
Thanks for the input though.
Bob

Posted 25 Feb 2018
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Bob

I realise that the North Koreans are trying to be everybody's friend at the moment, but I honestly don't think I'd be willing to take their advice quite yet.
Thanks for the input though.
Bob

But they are experts on retouching photos.
Oh wait...

Posted 26 Feb 2018
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
I reckon Affinity is amazing for the money. It seems to do pretty much what PS does.

My current gripes are probably just a different way of working when very used to PS. The clumsy workaround to transform selections and the clunky file saving. I'm also ambivalent about the wonders of seeing adjustments happen in real time on the whole image. I quite like having a preview box to compare before and after.

But, let's face it. PS is hardly intuitive so it's not the end of the world to get used to something else that's a bit different, so I'll persevere.

Posted 26 Feb 2018
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
w4pictures

I reckon Affinity is amazing for the money. It seems to do pretty much what PS does. My current gripes are probably just a different way of working when very used to PS. The clumsy workaround to transform selections and the clunky file saving. I'm also ambivalent about the wonders of seeing adjustments happen in real time on the whole image. I quite like having a preview box to compare before and after. But, let's face it. PS is hardly intuitive so it's not the end of the world to get used to something else that's a bit different, so I'll persevere.

I suspect the problem is partly the confetti of patents that surrounds software. You can bet Adobe have patents on the coding for a lot of the basic tasks that help create a smooth user experience. That means for example you may not be able to simply mimic say the smooth way Photoshop zooms in because they have patented every option they could find to do that to block competitors matching them
Posted 27 Feb 2018
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join