is this a scam??

12 posts
11 Feb 2018
Moorlane
Photographer
Moorlane
I seem to remember a scam some years ago that involved models being sent £ 2000 for a shoot by CHEQUE and then being asked to keep £300 and send the rest to a studio . A model I know has been sent a cheque for this amount and told to bank transfer them £ 1700 when the cheque has cleared. Does anyone know if this is a scam ? Many thanks

Posted 11 Feb 2018
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Moorlane

Does anyone know if this is a scam ?

Doh!

These days, anybody who is unaware of the Nigerian 419 or Advance Fee Fraud shouldn't really be allowed to access to t'internet without a responsible adult watching over them.

Posted 11 Feb 2018
Moorlane
Photographer
Moorlane
Thanks Bob. I have sent this link on to her for her to read. It does look very dodgy and I seem to remember it was prevalent years ago and one to avoid

Posted 11 Feb 2018
Bob
Photographer
Bob
It's never gone away, and indeed a couple of the other sites seem to be plagued by these fraudsters.

From time to time government, the mainstream media and the High Street banks try to educate the masses about this type of thing but few seem to bother reading or listening to the advice, which is precisely why the fraudsters keep trying it.
Posted 11 Feb 2018
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
There is something called permanent power of attorney I believe that may be appropriate in this situation
Posted 12 Feb 2018
andrewlamb
Photographer
andrewlamb
There is a slight difference now though, as far as I’m aware, in that the updated cheques act has increased certainty surrounding the clearance of cheques for fate. Historically, banks could return cheques late long after the five working days it takes to clear a cheque. Now, I believe a cheque cannot be returned after day six. Best advice would be for the model to speak to his or her bank to ensure the cheque cannot be returned unpaid, if there’s any chance the offer is genuine.

That said, it all seems very fishy indeed and I can’t think of a reason to structure a transaction in this way.

Posted 18 Feb 2018
ciambino
Photographer
ciambino
unaware of the Nigerian 419 or Advance Fee Fraud

This was not advance fee as not asked to advance a fee (simples)

But, agreed, does seem a convoluted solution to the problem of sending £300 to somebody.

The idea here is that the mark banks the £2000, pays £1700 immediately from honesty & gratitude, then the originator claims the £2000 cheque back.

Cheques can be reclaimed, as another poster mentions.

The obvious solution is to bank the £2000 cheque, when it clears,  transfer the cash immediately to a different account. (it now cannot be reclaimed)
Next, use your imagination. Do you believe that the originator was a scammer ?  What do they deserve ?

I find the notion of misunderstanding the instruction,  sending £300, then feigning confusion or idiocy (fill yer boots with the options of a boggling mind !!!)

BTW:  there is a really entertaining website called '419eater.com'  "The largest scambaiting community on the Planet - Dedicated Scam Baiters who fight the good fight by taking on the scammers, wasting their time and saving victims from further losses. Join our forums to read more adventures in scambaitinging"

Bait on dude . . . .

Posted 28 Feb 2018
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
ciambino

This was not advance fee as not asked to advance a fee (simples)

But, agreed, does seem a convoluted solution to the problem of sending £300 to somebody.

The idea here is that the mark banks the £2000, pays £1700 immediately from honesty & gratitude, then the originator claims the £2000 cheque back.

Cheques can be reclaimed, as another poster mentions.

The obvious solution is to bank the £2000 cheque, when it clears,  transfer the cash immediately to a different account. (it now cannot be reclaimed)
Next, use your imagination. Do you believe that the originator was a scammer ?  What do they deserve ?

I find the notion of misunderstanding the instruction,  sending £300, then feigning confusion or idiocy (fill yer boots with the options of a boggling mind !!!)

BTW:  there is a really entertaining website called '419eater.com'  "The largest scambaiting community on the Planet - Dedicated Scam Baiters who fight the good fight by taking on the scammers, wasting their time and saving victims from further losses. Join our forums to read more adventures in scambaitinging"

Bait on dude . . . .

Only snag is that yes they can claim the money back. You will just end up with a hefty overdraft which is your responsibility to pay like it or not. Secondly an more seriously is you may find yourself being charged with money laundering. Even if not charged there is a real danger of your accounts being frozen and you being blacklisted. I know at least one photographer who ended up having this happen over a forged cheque  he deposited in ignorance and that was nothing to do with one of these scams. 419 is a grat site and I was in stitches a while back reading some of the games played. I almos felt sorry for a couple of scammers. Almost.

Yes by all means play them along if you have the time to expend on it but comitting one crime in retaliation for another is dangerous ground. Morally and legally
Posted 28 Feb 2018
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
Another 'mini scam' going araound at the moment is a phone call the Sky are looking to give you a £203 refund, the "precise" figure helps to make it look credible, all you have to do is give your credit card details!

Posted 28 Feb 2018
blancho
Photographer
blancho

had a similar thing when someone wanted to book me as a photographer, sent a cheque for to much.... 

I have also had a friend whos a model have this scam happen on here,

but surely this is money laudendering the idea being you keep a fee they get money in a legitimate account 

in the end of the day if you want a little extra cash and dont mind helping african gangs who probably use the money to fund illegal wars using child warriors great, but 99.9% of the time if it seems dodgy.... 

Posted 31 May 2018
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
blancho

had a similar thing when someone wanted to book me as a photographer, sent a cheque for to much.... 

I have also had a friend whos a model have this scam happen on here,

but surely this is money laudendering the idea being you keep a fee they get money in a legitimate account 

in the end of the day if you want a little extra cash and dont mind helping african gangs who probably use the money to fund illegal wars using child warriors great, but 99.9% of the time if it seems dodgy.... 

First you don't get to 'keep' some of the money. The cheque will appear in your account as if cleared but in reality the bank can and does cancel cheques from abroad weeks later. So you have paid YOUR money to one of their accomplices and end up with nowt.

Second even if your statement were true Money laudering is a criminal offence and UK banks are now routinly freezing accounts where they find this happening. So you lose the cash AND you lose your bank accounts along with any cash that if paid into them. Oh and you may get a visit from the heavy boys of the serious fraus office. Great if you want to screw up your life for years and lose a fortune

Posted 31 May 2018
Edited by redbaron 31 May 2018
exuphoto
Photographer
exuphoto

If something looks too good.....

Posted 8 June 2018
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join