Photography Editing Software

Photography Editing Software

23 posts
11 Feb 2018
Mr_Catz
Photographer
Mr_Catz

I only use Corel Paint Shop Pro 8

Do I really need Lightroom or one of the other expensive editing software packages in order to make fantastic images?

I also have After Shot 2.

I would be grateful for peoples input on my editing software. 
Posted 11 Feb 2018
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
I've been using the subscription model of PS CC and LR CC6, which I do find excellent, particularly for printing from, however I have now just purchased Affinity Photo software at £48 which seems very close to Photoshop in its features and way of working, and is a one-off cost/purchase.
Have a look at some of the Affinity tutorial videos on Internet.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/10119-official-affinity-photo-desktop-video-tutorials-200/

Dave

Posted 11 Feb 2018
Edited by eosfan 11 Feb 2018
w4pictures
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
No. I think fantastic images are created well before you get anywhere near your editing software. Yes I use the Photoshop/lightroom combo but that's because over the years I have learned those programs inside out. Even so I find I need them less and less now for the bulk of my work. While I may feel the tweaks I do make improve the result more, I suspect in many cases straight out of camera (as far as there is such a thing) would gain the approval of most people.

I do sense that the PS/LR platform has reached a plateau too. While I have the latest version I cannot think of any recent groundbreaking improvements. I'm pretty sure that is why they moved to a subscription model. You need a big new thing to drive the upgrade sales. I have lost contact with Corel's version but looking around there are now a lot of programs starting to snap at the heels of Adobe. Particularly if you do not make use of liquefy or the warp tool to 'tweak' those awkward bumps. For me that remains a big plus when shooting clients. No Mum wants a double chin in her baby session for example and posing alone is not always an answer. When doing model shoots though you can be selective about who you are shooting.

On1 is one program that has come on a long way for example and now edits RAW images with its version of LR built into the suite. Alien skin is also more functional as a stand alone program.

If your are into things like compositing though, which is creeping into even portrait work (As vogue embarrassingly showed )then I have yet to see anything close to Photoshop.
Posted 12 Feb 2018
Edited by redbaron 12 Feb 2018
Mr_Catz
Mr_Catz
Photographer
Mr_Catz
redbaron

No. I think fantastic images are created well before you get anywhere near your editing software. Yes I use the Photoshop/lightroom combo but that's because over the years I have learned those programs inside out. Even so I find I need them less and less now for the bulk of my work. While I may feel the tweaks I do make improve the result more, I suspect in many cases straight out of camera (as far as there is such a thing) would gain the approval of most people.

I do sense that the PS/LR platform has reached a plateau too. While I have the latest version I cannot think of any recent groundbreaking improvements. I'm pretty sure that is why they moved to a subscription model. You need a big new thing to drive the upgrade sales. I have lost contact with Corel's version but looking around there are now a lot of programs starting to snap at the heels of Adobe. Particularly if you do not make use of liquefy or the warp tool to 'tweak' those awkward bumps. For me that remains a big plus when shooting clients. No Mum wants a double chin in her baby session for example and posing alone is not always an answer. When doing model shoots though you can be selective about who you are shooting.

On1 is one program that has come on a long way for example and now edits RAW images with its version of LR built into the suite. Alien skin is also more functional as a stand alone program.

If your are into things like compositing though, which is creeping into even portrait work (As vogue embarrassingly showed )then I have yet to see anything close to Photoshop.

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear, thank you. 

Posted 12 Feb 2018
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
Get the NIK collection from Google...totally free....and well worth experimenting with. Ideal for a novice....ot the very experienced.

Not a substitute for PShop or similar....but can take a basic editing programme to new heights.

Posted 12 Feb 2018
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
anthonyh

Get the NIK collection from Google...totally free....and well worth experimenting with.

Google sold NIK to DxO months ago.

Standalone NIK can't open RAW files, only JPG or TIFF.

Posted 12 Feb 2018
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
PHP_Photography

Google sold NIK to DxO months ago.

Standalone NIK can't open RAW files, only JPG or TIFF.

I use it exclusively to open and work with Photoshop (.psd) files. Although I don't use the standalone version....but would have thought it had similar capabilities.
Posted 13 Feb 2018
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
anthonyh

I use it exclusively to open and work with Photoshop (.psd) files. Although I don't use the standalone version....but would have thought it had similar capabilities.

It won't have the benefits of Photoshop's colour management, nor ability to work on indivdual layers once you're half way through any editing process, so its usefulness is greatly diminished as a standalone package regardless of whether its own functions are similar (though obviously this depends on how advanced your workflow is and how much work you apply to images.)

Posted 14 Feb 2018
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
For those looking for something, anything other than Photoshop The OnOne suit has come on leaps and bounds the past two years. Works as a standalone including file browsing, Raw support, layers and plenty of presets to get you started. Id does not have any sort of liquify or warp avaiable but there is a healing brush and masking options.

On1 Photo Raw editing suite
Posted 14 Feb 2018
Tamerlin
Photographer
Tamerlin

I recommend Affinity Photo from Serif for anyone looking to get a very powerful image processing and painting program without the Adobe price tag.

I'm also quite partial to Luminar, but a bit disapopinted that SkyLum hasn't launched its asset manager yet... I love it as an editor, but right now its workflow is a bit clunky (I'm using Exposure as my asset manager right now).

Posted 8 June 2018
exuphoto
Photographer
exuphoto

Sure, straight out of camera can be amazing with the right light and technique. That said, 1) out of camera still tend to need some help on digital, not manipulation but sharpening, WB adjustment etc and 2) I'd say that for 95% of shooters, some good post will really lift the images significantly!

PS is great as it has it all, but I'd say that at least learning the basics on LR is a very well worth effort. 

Posted 8 June 2018
Tamerlin
Photographer
Tamerlin

The secret is to get it to around 90% in camera consistently. Then your post work is polish, so you do less of it and get more out of it.

LR? I'd say no, it isn't. There are more user friendly tools that allow you to get more done with less work and also cost less out there, like Exposure 3, Luminar (when it gets its DAM module), DxO PhotoLab, and OnOne's Photo Raw.

Capture One is a bit more expensive, but if you want to do some serious color and then send a file over to a dedicated retouching tool, I'd recommend it. 

I wish I could do my photo retouching all in Resolve or Scratch.

Posted 8 June 2018
TinDolls
Photographer
TinDolls

I have psp 2018 but I prefer not to edit as some images look very fake if over edited, plus the amount of computer time to edit everything I can do without.

Posted 9 June 2018
Mr_Catz
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
TinDolls

I have psp 2018 but I prefer not to edit as some images look very fake if over edited, plus the amount of computer time to edit everything I can do without.

You cannot avoid editing. Even if you settle for one of the on camera profiles and shooting jpeg the images are being edited in some way. Its simply that it is being done by a fixed algorithm  in camera rather than lightroom Photoshop or some other program. Thats fine if they produce the results you are after. Editing is not simply adding OTT softening though. I doubt my clients would buy as many images if I did not zap the odd zit . Some photographers have developed their own style too, which may start with the way they light, compose and set the scene but in many cases that includes the way images are developed too.

Posted 9 June 2018
Edited by redbaron 9 June 2018
Mr_Catz
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
TinDolls

I have psp 2018 but I prefer not to edit as some images look very fake if over edited, 

And therein lies the real trick with editing... having technique that's realistic, and knowing when to stop.

Posted 9 June 2018
Mr_Catz
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join