Bowens - gone into administration

What's your source, Howard?
Bob
Posted 20 July 2017
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
HowardJ

Thank good for that. They're awful. Long live Elinchrom.

Can't say I agree. Our Bowens Gemini units have been good solid workhorses day in day out at the studio, though agreed they were getting a little dated in terms of long flash durations. Bought a pair of the new battery power XMT's at the show though and they run circles round the Elinchrom equvilent so a shame they have not been given time to turn things around.Wondering if they wil reappear under Calumet or Wex branding as al three were scooped p by the same venture capital group

Posted 20 July 2017
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Bob

What's your source, Howard?
Bob

http://www.pictopro.com/rip-bowens-to-be-liquidated-report-says/
 That is the original source Bob though a few others have picked up on it since. Nothing on Bowens site to indicate this yet though.
Posted 20 July 2017
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Bob
What's your source, Howard? Bob
The dpreview.com website https://m.dpreview.com/news/4986224561/bye-bye-bowens-the-94-year-old-lighting-company-is-going-into-liquidation Actually it's liquidation not administration.
Posted 20 July 2017
Edited by HowardJ 20 July 2017
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Posted 20 July 2017
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
HowardJ

Thank good for that. They're awful. Long live Elinchrom.

Loss of competition is never good.
Posted 20 July 2017
paule
Photographer
paule
I would bet Elinchrom are in the same boat.. loads of competition from cheaper suppliers..

my 10 year old Gemini 500s are still going strong..

Posted 20 July 2017
Bob
Photographer
Bob
redbaron

That is the original source Bob though a few others have picked up on it since. Nothing on Bowens site to indicate this yet though.

I asked because I presumed from your headline that the company had recently been put into Administration, i.e. that the beancounters were trying to keep it going.

Recent reports of possible forthcoming liquidation appeared to be speculative, though not really surprising bearing in mind that the owners of the current parent group are an 'equity opportunities' outfit who dissolved the earlier Calumet (Holdings) Ltd parent group in January.

Looking at the net worth graphs of the the three photography industry companies over the last few years is very interesting and says a lot.

Even though Bowens and Calumet are not companies I have ever made much use of, I'll be sad to see them go as both used to have a reputation for quality.

Bob

Posted 20 July 2017
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
RedChecker
I've had so many fuses and modelling bulbs go on Bowens, but only ever had one fuse go on my Elinchroms and that was because a fly flew into it.
Posted 20 July 2017
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
RedChecker

Agreed.

I think this is sad news for the industry.

-----
"It’s now official: Bowens is dead. The well-known 94-year-old lighting equipment brand has officially confirmed that it has discontinued operations, and one of the main factors in its demise was the rise of cheaper gear by Chinese manufacturers."

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/20/bowens-yes-dead-chinese-brands-killed-us/

Posted 20 July 2017
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
HowardJ

I've had so many fuses and modelling bulbs go on Bowens, but only ever had one fuse go on my Elinchroms and that was because a fly flew into it.

Had to replace one fues, I think since buying them back around 2010. The odd modelling bulb of course but not many considering how they get hammered at times or left on overnight by mistake. A couple of tubes in that timebut again they are in use week in week out so must have long ago passed the official life. Don't get me wrong Elinchrom are a great bit of kit and I may have gone for them initially. I went to the show this year fully intending to buy their portable units but in the end while not cheap th ebowens units seemed better on power, convenience, weight functionality and just about everything else with the staff on the elinchrom side not really up to speed when pressed on technnical details.

Appreciate everyone has their own experience of gear but as has been said by others there is nothing good about lack of competition. Hopefully someone will buy up the rights for their gear but we will have to wait and see I guess. At the moment there is no official confirmation on this. Just hints from well informed sources.
Posted 20 July 2017
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Yep, I have some Elinchrom quadras. They are a nice bit of kit, but expensive and then some.

Posted 20 July 2017
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
I'm selling my Elinchrom Quadra Ranger outfit - two action heads, two batteries, carrying case, leads etc. Also have ringflash, square soft boxes, octobox, reflector plus honeycomb grids, Lastolite strip softbox about 100x30cm

Posted 21 July 2017
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
eosfan
I'm selling my Elinchrom Quadra Ranger outfit - two action heads, two batteries, carrying case, leads etc. Also have ringflash, square soft boxes, octobox, reflector plus honeycomb grids, Lastolite strip softbox about 100x30cm
Is it lithium ion or lead acid battery powered?
Posted 21 July 2017
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join