Bowens Travelpak

13 posts
18 March 2017
Nemesis
Photographer
Nemesis
Hi All anyone have a Bowens travelpak? I'm just charging for a shoot tomorrow and cannot find the booklet, hardly ever use the pack and cannot remember, do you just plug into the base or the top as both have a charginf port, ALso do the switches need to be in any particular position? Thanks in advance.

Posted 18 March 2017
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Google bowens travelpak manual and the first result is a link to a PDF user manual.

Complicated... Isn't it?

Posted 18 March 2017
Edited by HowardJ 18 March 2017
Nemesis
Photographer
Nemesis
Yeah it's not that straight forward, I spoke to Bowens before ages ago and put a note in the booklet, which I cannot find.... They gave me a few specifics.. you would think just plug in and go..

Posted 18 March 2017
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
YouTube?

Posted 18 March 2017
Nemesis
Photographer
Nemesis
I'm winging it at the moment lol

Posted 18 March 2017
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
From the bowens website:

"You can charge any version of the Travelpak with it either switched on or off. The LED light on the charger will change colour when fully charged.

Ensure the Travelpak is never left empty of charge as this will damage the battery cell. If you do not plan to use the Travelpak for an extended period of time, you should discharge the battery at varying levels to keep the battery active. We reccommend you do this weekly."

Posted 18 March 2017
Nemesis
Photographer
Nemesis
Bugger.. better replace it lol

Posted 18 March 2017
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
I know the rocker switch on the GEmini heads is off in the middle, mains power when up and battery power when down. Don't have the battery pack though. Did think about it but started drooling when I saw the new XMT and bought a pair of those at the show instead From memory though I don't think you need to take the battery off the travel pack to charge it
Posted 18 March 2017
Nemesis
Photographer
Nemesis
Not charging, I think I may need to get new cells
Posted 19 March 2017
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
You may be able to open the battery and see what battery they've used and subsequently get a replacement for a fraction of the price of a new battery from Bowens themselves. I did that with my two Profoto batteries when they died. £3-400 for new batteries, but £57 each to buy the new cells myself. Obviously a service centre will also likely be able to replace the cells themselves at a much lower cost than buying a whole new battery on its own.

Posted 19 March 2017
Nemesis
Photographer
Nemesis
Cheers matey

Posted 19 March 2017
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
The battery inside Bowens' housing will look something like this, though you need to check for the exact number.  They may have been naughty and stripped it of any identifying marks though, but probably worth a check.
Posted 20 March 2017
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Have used Brian Chapman in the past to repair and service Bowens kit so may well be worth contacting to see if he can do things a lot cheaper
http://www.flashrepairs.co.uk/
Posted 21 March 2017
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join