calculating electricity cost

calculating electricity cost

12 posts
15 March 2017
Moorlane
Photographer
Moorlane
My leccy has taken a bit of a hammering this last 2 weeks. Is there any way of roughly calculating what it has cost me?
starting meter reading ...39959
end ...40083

Thanks

Posted 16 March 2017
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
The average (according to a Google search) is around 12p per kWh, so you're looking at around £15

A few years ago I had major issues and wondered what the hell it was. I bought one of those testers and couldn't find anything that was that greedy (I'd bought a lot of things like TV, Hifi etc. at the time). It turned out it was the tumble dryer, which didn't occur to me and was costing 36p per hour to run, and it was being used several hours a day due to the awful weather.

Posted 16 March 2017
Moorlane
Photographer
Moorlane
Many thanks - so not too bad then!
john

Posted 16 March 2017
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Well they recommend household appliances consume the following amounts of energy:

Tumble dryer: 1 hr = 21p
Washing machine: 1 wash = 10p
Dishwasher: 1 load = 18p
Mobile device charge: 12 hrs overnight = 1p
Laptop: 2 hrs use = 1p
Games console: 2 hrs play = 4p

Posted 18 March 2017
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
HowardJ

Well they recommend household appliances consume the following amounts of energy: Tumble dryer: 1 hr = 21p Washing machine: 1 wash = 10p Dishwasher: 1 load = 18p Mobile device charge: 12 hrs overnight = 1p Laptop: 2 hrs use = 1p Games console: 2 hrs play = 4p

As I said in my post, my tumble dryer worked out at almost double that (3kW at 12p per kWh) so I'd take these with a very big pinch of salt.

Those little monitoring sockets can give you a good indication of what devices are consuming, but don't forget to add everything being used (eg. for a games console you will have the TV and possibly a seperate speaker system, not to mention the latest generation of consoles (esp. the PS4) are pretty power hungry so a crude estimate for my PS4 setup will come in at 20p for two hours play which is 5x that estimate you quote).
Posted 19 March 2017
Edited by RedChecker 19 March 2017
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
RedChecker
As I said in my post, my tumble dryer worked out at almost double that (3kW at 12p per kWh) so I'd take these with a very big pinch of salt. Those little monitoring sockets can give you a good indication of what devices are consuming, but don't forget to add everything being used (eg. for a games console you will have the TV and possibly a seperate speaker system, not to mention the latest generation of consoles (esp. the PS4) are pretty power hungry so a crude estimate for my PS4 setup will come in at 20p for two hours play which is 5x that estimate you quote).
My figures came straight off a Scottish Power bill. Your actual usage will depend on the energy efficiency of your appliances. If you have an old tumble dryer it's likely to be less energy efficient so it'll use more energy in the same period of time. If you have a larger capacity tumble dryer than average then... guess what... yep, that's right, it's likely to use more energy than an average capacity one. If you use a CRT TV then it's likely to use more energy than an A+ rated LED TV. And there was me thinking people used games consoles without using a TV.... It ain't rocket science.
Posted 20 March 2017
Edited by HowardJ 20 March 2017
AndyGStudios
Photographer
AndyGStudios
Single rate meter I assume ?
Provider ? Tariff ? or just post the kwh rate...
Alternatively, consider trying a smart meter ?

Personally I avoid anything with the word 'smart' in it (aside from the phone), but that's just me.

Posted 22 March 2017
Edited by AndyGStudios 22 March 2017
Moorlane
Photographer
Moorlane
Thank you everyone. The cost was based on use of a 2-3 bar electric fire in use during the 2 week period

Posted 22 March 2017
diipii
Photographer
diipii
If you use electricity for any kind of heat it's expensive. Other than that just enjoy life.

Posted 13 April 2017
Skid2
Photographer
Skid2
26/04/2017

standard rate 0.16527
units per quarter
standing charges 0.16422

start final useage days Charges Standing Sub VAT Total
39959 40083 124 14 £20.49 £2.30 £22.79 £1.14 £23.93

Posted 5 June 2017
Edited by Skid2 5 June 2017
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
Just get a smart meter then you can see ..... mine is from British Gas and they supply Half-Hourly costs for gas and electricity on website account, or on smartphone app (figures are up to day before yesterday, sometimes yesterday) so you can check what various things cost.

Posted 7 June 2017
MG
Photographer
MG
If you were to install a hydro electric system then your costs would decrease greatly with all of the rail we've had in the last few days. Or install a big wind turbine on top of your chimney. Forget the solar panels though as summer seems to have vanished again. Alternatively you don;t have to be too smart to work out how many kilowatt x whatever your unit cost is, Mines around 10p so nice and easy. No smartness required. And as for smart meters.... It's generally the more expensive providers that supply you with one of these for free at the moment.
Posted 7 June 2017
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join