Good laptop

16 posts
14 Jan 2017
Brian2008
Photographer
Brian2008
Hi All
I look to upgrade my old laptop! So I was doing bit looking about and I look at about a core I5 or possible a core i7 with 8GB ram!

Now I don’t have a big budget and also as I may be using it on location get it stolen or drop it!

So I looking for something that has a good battery life (or a battery back up out there?) and has a good Screen Resolution? Also is worth using the built in card read?

I look forward to your thoughts on this!
Thanks
Brian

Posted 14 Jan 2017
Edited by Brian2008 14 Jan 2017
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Only 8GB or RAM? I'd personally only consider 16GB upwards for any serious work, especially if you're into heavy editing or multitasking and memory's so cheap nowadays there's little excuse not to. It may be worth checking expandability and whether it may be cheaper to buy a machine with less memory and immediately replace it with a third party RAM kit (say from Crucial.com), that's what I did with my laptop anyway and it's perfect.

Posted 14 Jan 2017
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
How about something like this
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/a1-refurbished-toshiba-satellite-l50-c-22l-intel-core-i5-5200u-8gb-1tb-15.-a1-pskwne-09w082en/version.asp

Posted 14 Jan 2017
Brian2008
Photographer
Brian2008
Thanks for the help guys i be looking into it thanks!

Posted 15 Jan 2017
Nemesis
Photographer
Nemesis
I had to upgrade when my old Puter and Laptop could no longer handle Lightroom, Got myself a great HP Envy core i7 16gb RAM, stand alone graphics card and its 17", multi tasks like a dream and sturdy two as I found out when I forgot to do my bag up and it did the whole length of the London Bridge Tube Escalator.. Also has Beats by Dre and two built in Subwoofers ?? Allegedly... Was not cheap, about £1200 but again if you are going to be multi tasking or running memory heavy programs get completely up to speed..

Posted 15 Jan 2017
I have a ROG G752VY and I can't speak a single bad word against it! Best machine ever! Handles all my images as you'd expect a decent machine to, but it also plays ALL games on highest settings. 32gb RAM, multiple solid state drives, huge cooling, just incredible power. It takes exactly 8 seconds from pushing on to it being fully loaded and raring to go

Posted 16 Jan 2017
Edited by GymnastEnPointe 16 Jan 2017
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
GymnastEnPointe
I have a ROG G752VY and I can't speak a single bad word against it! Best machine ever! Handles all my images as you'd expect a decent machine to, but it also plays ALL games on highest settings. 32gb RAM, multiple solid state drives, huge cooling, just incredible power. It takes exactly 8 seconds from pushing on to it being fully loaded and raring to go
And all for a mere £2000....
Posted 16 Jan 2017
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Top end gaming laptops and ones with 17" screens are neither affordable or portable both in terms of size and weight (even 15" are cumbersome enough if moving around a lot).

Posted 17 Jan 2017
DougRossPhotographic
Photographer
DougRossPhot..
If you are on Ebay - look for crocodile computers in the Durham area; the build one off machines at decent rates, ditto have a good range of re-conditioned machines. Good Luck. Doug
Posted 21 Jan 2017
Trevormatthews
Photographer
Trevormatthe..
I Cant advise on a specific laptop but i can say i do a LOT of lightroom editing with bits and bobs running in the background and have no problems at all with a 4gb ram so i dont think you will need 32gb ram etc.

Posted 2 Feb 2017
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Trevormatthews

I Cant advise on a specific laptop but i can say i do a LOT of lightroom editing with bits and bobs running in the background and have no problems at all with a 4gb ram so i dont think you will need 32gb ram etc.

Lightroom by its very nature won't use much memory, the same can be said for video editing as it's it's effectively stream-processing.  Photoshop on the other hand will happily use all the memory you've got, especially when using multiple layers and for a decent period of time.
Posted 2 Feb 2017
Edited by RedChecker 2 Feb 2017
Brian2008
Photographer
Brian2008
Thanks for the feed back and help guy much appreciated

Brian

Posted 6 Feb 2017
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Get hold of an old Dell e6430 or e6440, not the best screens in the world but they are fairly robust with their magnesium chassis. You can usually pick up a decent spec'd one for around £200-400 on eBay or places that sell refurbished Dell kit. The added advantage is since it's enterprise hardware it's easy to upgrade and swap parts.

Posted 12 March 2017
Imagefield
Photographer
Imagefield
Personally picked up a 5i with a 17inch screen that was around the £300 mark then wen to Crucial purchased a replacement SSD and memory the increase in speed was so good I did the same to my old laptop and now wish I had up graded that first and save the cash!

Also would say the bigger the screen the better if its indoors I often take a 27 screen and mini mac so everyone can see.

Posted 13 March 2017
MG
Photographer
MG
Has anyone said get a macbook yet?
Posted 16 March 2017
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join