Tall Dark and Handsome Photographers

Tall Dark and Handsome Photographers

40 posts
10 Jan 2017
Mr_Catz
Photographer
Mr_Catz

Is it essential that as a photographer or you have to be good looking (tall dark and handsome) to attract the best models? cool

Do you think the best looking photographers attract the best looking models? 

How much does photography skill matter in the grand scheme of things? 

Posted 10 Jan 2017
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
It's easier to be a short-arse photographer because then you don't have to bend you knees so much for full-length shots
Posted 10 Jan 2017
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Ladiesman

Is it essential that as a photographer you have to be good looking (tall dark and handsome) to attract the best models?

Don't think so. I'm a fugly fat dwarf but I've shot a few of the best models to have graced this site over the last decade.

Ladiesman

How much does photography skill matter in the grand scheme of things?

In recent years, not a lot, as today it appears to be the thickness of the wallet and the speed it can be emptied that attracts a good many who describe themselve as models.
Bob smiley: Thud - keystrokes: :thud

Posted 10 Jan 2017
Mr_Catz
Photographer
Mr_Catz
RedChecker

It's easier to be a short-arse photographer because then you don't have to bend you knees so much for full-length shots

Yes there is that. cheeky

For the slightly taller model I always find that a little step ladder helps. surprise
Posted 10 Jan 2017
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
Ladiesman
Is it essential that as a photographer or you have to be good looking (tall dark and handsome) to attract the best models?  Do you think the best looking photographers attract the best looking models?  How much does photography skill matter in the grand scheme of things? 
I'm guessing you're bored, that's the only reason I can think of for you asking such a ridiculous question. Of course a photographer's looks don't matter; as long as you behave in a professional and respectful manner, that should be all that matters. None of the models I've worked with here or elsewhere have had a clue what I look like prior to meeting me, and I imagine the same is true for a lot of other photographers.
Posted 10 Jan 2017
Two_stops
Photographer
Two_stops
Thats a bit like asking if good looking photographers have switched to mirrorless cameras so the models can see more of them behind the camera, whilst the not so good looking ones still carry a great big DSLR to hide behind...
Posted 10 Jan 2017
Edited by Two_stops 10 Jan 2017
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photogra..
Two_stops

whilst the not so good looking ones still carry a great big DSLR to hide behind...

Damn, busted.
Posted 10 Jan 2017
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
Two_stops
Thats a bit like asking if good looking photographers have switched to mirrorless cameras so the models can see more of them behind the camera, whilst the not so good looking ones still carry a great big DSLR to hide behind...
I use medium format, so I must be one ugly motherf**ker
Posted 10 Jan 2017
Rawandthecooked
Photographer
Rawandthecoo..
I'm ugly, but extremely charming, so the models all find me iresistable! Of course, I have trouble with the ones I have to turn down!

Posted 10 Jan 2017
PaulManuell

I use medium format, so I must be one ugly motherf**ker

Having worked with you, Paul, many times I would say you are tall, dark and most handsome...broken heart (You can give me the fiver later!)

Posted 11 Jan 2017
Havocphotography
Photographer
Havocphotogr..
PaulManuell
Of course a photographer's looks don't matter; as long as you behave in a professional and respectful manner,
Uh huh. If you heard the amount of models I've heard say "so glad you don't look like all the other old fat photographers" cos, you know, I dont.
Posted 12 Jan 2017
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
SuzyMonty
Having worked with you, Paul, many times I would say you are tall, dark and most handsome... (You can give me the fiver later!)
Haha, thanks Suzy, the cheque's in the post
Posted 12 Jan 2017
BigEarsPix
Photographer
BigEarsPix
Of course looks matter. When I was a (half) handsome young man I had no problems getting young ladies to model for me. Now the response is more likely to be "**** off you fat dirty old pervert".

Posted 12 Jan 2017
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
BigEarsPix
Of course looks matter. When I was a (half) handsome young man I had no problems getting young ladies to model for me. Now the response is more likely to be "**** off you fat dirty old pervert".
I'd have thought only having 4 profile photos after 10 years' membership would be a tad off putting too.
Posted 12 Jan 2017
Bob
Photographer
Bob
PaulManuell

I'd have thought only having 4 profile photos after 10 years' membership would be a tad off putting too.

Really? I'd have thought that 40 positive recommendations going back eight years, including from a few of the best models to have graced this site over the last decade, would more than compensate for only having a handful portfolio images on display (unless, of course, one was actively seeking payment from models for professional photography packages).
Bob

Posted 12 Jan 2017
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join