Nikon D810 or D750?

Nikon D810 or D750?

16 posts
12 Oct 2016
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
I'm currently considering moving up to a new Nikon and am torn between the D810 or D750.

I'd be interested to hear opinions from users of either - particularly with regard to the video capability and use for studio photography.

If you could choose either, which would you recommend?

Thanks
Paul
Posted 12 Oct 2016
cgwebster
Photographer
cgwebster

Might be worth looking here for some interresting dicsussions re. pros, cons and some caveats

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1021

I've had a brief play with the 750 but never had a chance to compare with the 810.
Posted 13 Oct 2016
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
I bought the Nikon D610 as a replacement for my aging Canon EOS 5D Mk II, - there was absolutely no comparison, the Nikon is SO much better. I would like to have bought an EOS 5D Mk III, but the cost was prohibitive being in excess of £2k, as was the Nikon D800/810. I saved myself some £400 going for the D610, and wasn't disappointed. One review described it as being probably the best value camera on the market, (at that time), & I simply can't fault it. Since then, things have moved on with the introduction of several new Canon models and Nikons' D750, - but look at the cost! So my point is, do you really need to spend as much as you will if you go for either of those two models? You might find the D610, (still a current model with a 24.3mp sensor), is more than capable for your needs, & save yourself some £400. I've invested more in my lenses, bodies come & go. I won't be buying a new body now for a few years, whatever new comes out. If money is no object and no great concern, go for the D810 for the pixel count. The D750 won't be noticeably different from the D610 IQ wise, but will cost you more as it's a newer model with some technical upgrades. If you decide not to go for the D810 for any reason, consider the D610 as against the D750.

Posted 13 Oct 2016
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Thanks both.

Good replies. I hadn't considered the D610.

Cheers
Paul
Posted 13 Oct 2016
paule
Photographer
paule
I've both the D810 (best camera I've ever owned or used) & D750..

D810 is the better camera in my view: 8000's v 4000's - not that I go that high often.
D810 ISO 64 v 100.. not a huge deal..
Sync Speed: D810 - 1/250 v 1/200 D750... just a bit of a pain again..
I prefer the D810 dials & buttons

D750 - hotshoe issue: https://fstoppers.com/originals/stop-fighting-hot-shoe-your-nikon-d750-110295

D750 pluses:

Cheaper, you could get the D750 + 85mm f/1.8G + 50mm f/1.8G for the price of the D810...
Weighs less.. and smaller size (too small can be an issue for some)
24mp more than enough for the majority of my images over the huge 36mp of the D810... obviously for key images I prefer the D810...
Tilt screen on the D750.. if that is your thing, it's ok but it's no where near as useful as the Fuji X-series tilt screen
DxO rates it's ISO performance higher though I use both in low light, churches, to 6400 and have no issues with either.

I like both though feel the D810 is the superior camera..
Posted 14 Oct 2016
Edited by paule 14 Oct 2016
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Thanks Paul. I value your hands-on experience.

Posted 15 Oct 2016
JohnEnger
Photographer
JohnEnger
If you can afford the D810 it's well worth the extra spendings.
I never owned a D750, but I borrowed one.

The D810 is sturdier, and more rugged.
It's got a better ISO range (oth up and down).
The higher ISO is way better (less noise) on the D810.
The D810 with the higher resolution is AWESOME for studio stills. (that's where I use mine the most).
The drawback on the D810 is the size of the images and post prod.
Also the continuous high runs the buffer full pretty fast, and only at 5 FPS.

Hope this helps a little.

John

Posted 17 Oct 2016
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Thanks John.

Posted 19 Oct 2016
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPow..
Re comparing to the D610, one of my guys had one, focussing is not it's strong point, too few points when used for rapid movement, may not worry you but I had to dump a load of shots.

Posted 24 Oct 2016
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Thanks Laurence. 

Posted 27 Oct 2016
Rolleiflexer
Photographer
Rolleiflexer
I use both a D600 and a D610 and I agree absolutely with everything that Kiboko has said. Unless resolution is an absolute priority, OR if you want better autofocus in low light, then go for the D610. My advice is, just get the body, not the kit with the 24-85 zoom. I find I am using my old manual Nikon lenses more and more. There are exceptions, but generally the older metal non AF Nikon lenses are sharper and much better made than the current plastic rubbish. The fact is that, because they are not made to the same tolerances, AF lenses suck in more and more dust, the more you use them. With what you save by buying the D610, buy better lenses! The great thing about choosing these full frame Nikon bodies is that you can use your 35 year old lenses if you have them and buy them cheaply if you don't.
Kiboko
I bought the Nikon D610 as a replacement for my aging Canon EOS 5D Mk II, - there was absolutely no comparison, the Nikon is SO much better. I would like to have bought an EOS 5D Mk III, but the cost was prohibitive being in excess of £2k, as was the Nikon D800/810. I saved myself some £400 going for the D610, and wasn't disappointed. One review described it as being probably the best value camera on the market, (at that time), & I simply can't fault it. Since then, things have moved on with the introduction of several new Canon models and Nikons' D750, - but look at the cost! So my point is, do you really need to spend as much as you will if you go for either of those two models? You might find the D610, (still a current model with a 24.3mp sensor), is more than capable for your needs, & save yourself some £400. I've invested more in my lenses, bodies come & go. I won't be buying a new body now for a few years, whatever new comes out. If money is no object and no great concern, go for the D810 for the pixel count. The D750 won't be noticeably different from the D610 IQ wise, but will cost you more as it's a newer model with some technical upgrades. If you decide not to go for the D810 for any reason, consider the D610 as against the D750.
Posted 27 Nov 2016
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.       cheeky
Posted 27 Nov 2016
Rawandthecooked
Photographer
Rawandthecoo..
Get the d810........

Posted 15 May 2017
Paul_Jones