New models - no experience - Professional Status - Fashion only - Paid...

New models - no experience - Professional Status - Fashion only - Paid only?

29 posts
20 June 2016
StreetModel
Photographer
StreetModel
Am I being overly critical, or do some models come on here with totally unrealistic ideas of what to expect?

Posted 20 June 2016
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
As with most places, there's wheat and there's chaff. You just need to know which you're looking at.

Posted 20 June 2016
StreetModel
Photographer
StreetModel
I just wonder if they seriously expect that photographers will be lining up to book them - with no pro photos, no experience, and a desire to shoot fashion only - and in many cases oversized fashion...

Is there a 'what you should know before you sign up' section for new models?

Posted 20 June 2016
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
No more unrealistic than some photographers I'd suggest, experienced pro's with a portfolio full of snapshots for instance.

Posted 20 June 2016
StreetModel
Photographer
StreetModel
I love this place for comments like that last one. Completely irrelevant, avoids the point of the question totally, but a good opportunity to poke at someone.

Maybe you would like to make a relevant comment about the question? How do you feel about new models coming on a site asking for money when they have no experience, no portfolio and have never modelled before?

Posted 21 June 2016
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
I think its totally relevant and an opportunity for you to reflect on how you might be perceived in the same context as those models you're trying to poke a finger at.

A model without experience or portfolio in fact does stand a good chance of being paid if her look/wardrobe/dance abilty etc appeals. There's nothing unexpected about that and never has been. The concept of having to be humble or work through some kind of apprenticeship including TF and low rates in order to allow every berk with a camera their entitlement to a shop before eventually being snapped up by the fashion or film world, is a bad photographers fantasy. Really excellent potential models just need to walk into an agency appointment to be employed.

So, you feeling some kind or righteous indignation, while proving pictorially that you have little more than a very average hobbyist to offer, might seem like a dig. One you're pretty much asking for too.

Posted 21 June 2016
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
profilepictures

I think its totally relevant and an opportunity for you to reflect on how you might be perceived in the same context as those models you're trying to poke a finger at. 

^ This
Posted 21 June 2016
Havocphotography
Photographer
Havocphotogr..
PP is 100% right, sorry OP, but you have (at least) 8 years experience but your port... well. And here you are criticing models for acting as more than they are. Pot, kettle.

Posted 21 June 2016
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
StreetModel

Am I being overly critical, or do some models come on here with totally unrealistic ideas of what to expect?

If a model has the right looks for the shoot, has a good attittude and is happy with the subject matter, then I'll consider them for the shoot. I don't disregard them just because they're inexperienced. In fact, content featuring a new model sometimes has a premium in bankability.
Posted 21 June 2016
AndyGStudios
Photographer
AndyGStudios
The harder I have to work, the less they are going to earn
Posted 21 June 2016
BigEarsPix
Photographer
BigEarsPix
Back in the 80's I met a pretty young girl who wanted to model. She went down to London and walked into the Models One agency. They took one look at her and sent her to Beverley Goodway. A few days later she was on Page 3. No experience, her first time in front of the camera. Yes some girls expect far too much.

Posted 21 June 2016
Bob
Photographer
Bob
BigEarsPix

Back in the 80's I met a pretty young girl who wanted to model. She went down to London and walked into the Models One agency.

T'internet killed that. These days few wannabe models seem to be prepared to do anything much except upload a few selfies to the net and then post a casting call requesting a fistful of tenners... and unfortunately there appear to be even more hobbyist 'togs' willing to empty their wallet for these girls in the hope they'll get a reminder of what their missus used to look like back when they were courting.
Bob

Posted 21 June 2016
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photogra..
StreetModel

How do you feel about new models coming on a site asking for money when they have no experience, no portfolio and have never modelled before?

Only thing that really matters is the looks, if they have it then they will get paid.

Posted 21 June 2016
wiltshiretog
Photographer
wiltshiretog
In my experience i have no problem paying newbie models,i won't offer them the top rates,but i am more than happy to pay them for their time,in my day job i started at the bottom,and i certainly didn't do it for free,so why should people expect model's to shoot for free??Sometimes its nice to work with a new model,a blank canvas so to say,it gives you a chance to pass on some knowledge of things you have learned,and they are more than likely not going to disagree,but hopefully listen,and take that on board,and carry it on..
Recently i have had more trouble with experienced models,pushing their rates up and up,they will eventually price themselves out of the market,i would hazard a guess that it is most likely hobby togs and amateurs that are paying their rent.
If a new model has a very good look about her and can take direction,and put what i am suggesting into creating the image i am after,then i will always pay them,we all start somewhere,did you learn your real job for free??

Posted 21 June 2016
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
PHP_Photography

Only thing that really matters is the looks, if they have it then they will get paid.

This sums it up for me ^^^^^

Some of my best shoots have been with brand new 'models' who had zero experience and who gave me a blank canvas to work with.

Best regards
Paul

Posted 22 June 2016
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join