Backing up from memory card to portable HDD

Backing up from memory card to portable HDD

19 posts
29 Feb 2016
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Hi all,

Later this year I am going on an extended holiday and will not be taking a laptop, however I would like to find a way of copying a days worth of Raw shooting onto a portable HDD at the end of each day, rather than fill a card and put it away until I get home. I can shoot on both CF and/or SD card and will have an iPad, card reader, portable HDD with me.

Can anyone suggest a way of doing this - I don't mind buying some other small piece of hardware if required.

Dave

Posted 29 Feb 2016
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Epson p7000 viewer

Posted 1 March 2016
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
They used to do portable HDDs that had CF/SD slots in them for exactly this sort of thing but it seems the market for them died a death. I thought they were a pretty neat idea, especially as most had little screens on them to review images but they obviously didn't sell.

That said, it seems WD do a drive called "My Passport Wireless" which has an SD slot for in-the-field backup and it's battery powered so may be worth a look. The only danger is that you're still putting all your eggs in one basket (unless you can occasionally borrow a PC on your travels to make the odd transfer to a second HDD).

Alternatively a Windows-based tablet with USB ports, rather than an iPad would be another solution

If you've got decent internet a cloud-based backup or transfer to a home-based NAS that's left on 24/7 maybe an option.

Posted 1 March 2016
AlletunYL
Photographer
AlletunYL
The Atomos Ninja might work for you

Posted 1 March 2016
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
HowardJ

Epson p7000 viewer

Those are around 7 years old though, and 160GB isn't much in the way of storage nowadays.
Posted 1 March 2016
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
RedChecker

They used to do portable HDDs that had CF/SD slots in them for exactly this sort of thing but it seems the market for them died a death. I thought they were a pretty neat idea, especially as most had little screens on them to review images but they obviously didn't sell.

FlashTrax.

I still have one in the loft. Haven't used it for years....

Cheers
Paul

Posted 1 March 2016
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
RedChecker
Those are around 7 years old though, and 160GB isn't much in the way of storage nowadays.
Indeed they are and I have 3 of them. All still going strong. The P7000 uses a SATA interface, so you can replace the hard drive with larger capacity ones.
Posted 1 March 2016
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Another alternative is an Android tablet and one of the OTG card readers plugged into the mini USB port. You may need to download an app to be able to access the card on the OTG adapter.

I use the Nexus Media Importer which lets you copy or move files between media.

I have an OTG adapter and cheaper Tesco Hudl which I can read SD and CF cards on without any problems. You could take some micro SD cards with you and backup to them. The Hudl supports up to a 32 GB micro SD card and they're tiny, so you could backup a fair bit if you had a lot of them. The micro SD cards are pretty cheap on Amazon.

Posted 1 March 2016
Edited by HowardJ 1 March 2016
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
If you're feeling geeky, you could pick up a Raspberry Pi computer and a miniature keyboard. If you're in a hotel or guesthouse you should be able to hook it up to the in room TV using hdmi- effectively that gives you a desktop computer experience from a £30 device that's the size of a deck of cards.

They're not as powerful as a regular desktop, but fine for copying files around.

Posted 2 March 2016
Fluffypup
Photographer
Fluffypup
Try a Kingston wireless - size of a fag packet and will do what you want. Sd slot, usb slot, powered off its own battery. Controlled by an app off your phone as it creates its own mini wifi

Posted 5 March 2016
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Sorry for slow response. It's taken me a fortnight to find my (dead) Digidock Photobank to confirm its precise name and model number.

Although the Photobank CR-6200 is precisely what you describe, unfortunately technology advanced so fast back in the middle of the last decade that Digidock soon stopped producing these handy portable storage devices. Mine, which I used as a back-up on all foreign assignments for at least five years, finally gave up the ghost about 2010 and I didn't bother to replace it as by then a combination of cheap netbook and back-up 16Gb memory sticks had made it redundant.

Details can be found on this Russian site:-
http://www.nix66.ru/catalog/digidock-Portable-Storage-Device-CR-6200-20Gb_36791-078088.html

Bob

Posted 13 March 2016
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Fluffypup

Try a Kingston wireless - size of a fag packet and will do what you want. Sd slot, usb slot, powered off its own battery. Controlled by an app off your phone as it creates its own mini wifi

Looks a very neat bit of kit... 
Posted 30 March 2016
CunningLinguists
Photographer
CunningLinguists
Apple do a sd + compact flash adapter for the iPad. Works a treat.

Posted 17 July 2016
arkady001
Photographer
arkady001
Just a thought, but with SD cards going for around £12 on Amazon (for a 32Gb 90mb/s Sandisk) why not just buy more cards? Why spend £100+ on something that's no more secure than the card you're transferring from?

Posted 30 July 2016
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
arkady001

Just a thought, but with SD cards going for around £12 on Amazon (for a 32Gb 90mb/s Sandisk) why not just buy more cards? Why spend £100+ on something that's no more secure than the card you're transferring from?

Perhaps he already has multiple cards but just wants a second copy in case the cards become corrupted, damaged or lost. 

Although if you've got a dual-card camera then the solution is already there.
Posted 30 July 2016
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join