Capture one users

8 posts
11 Feb 2016
Imagefield
Photographer
Imagefield
Greetings all

Using capture one tethered to laptop - which is fine however scares me as it means that images are only on the hard drive of the laptop.

Does anyone have good ideas for backing up a shoot to a second location as you work - generally I can't access wifi other than mobile (3G at best).

In capture I can't find an option to back up to the cameras memory card as well which would be a significant help?

Posted 11 Feb 2016
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Just buy a portable USB powered hard drive, they're about £40.

You can buy synchronisation software that runs in the background and will ensure a drive or directory is mirrored onto another drive. You could simply set the software to ensure the location your photos are saved in are continuously backed up to the external drive.

Posted 12 Feb 2016
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I'd also forget any idea about using 3G to upload images. Not just because of the lack of speed but if you were to upload JPGs the phone networks often re-encode them at much higher compression than what the original file was saved at (though that probably depends on how exactly they were uploaded and whether or not the images are being uploaded through a proxy).
Posted 12 Feb 2016
Imagefield
Photographer
Imagefield
can you name any synchronisation software you have used in this way? Thanks
RedChecker
Just buy a portable USB powered hard drive, they're about £40. You can buy synchronisation software that runs in the background and will ensure a drive or directory is mirrored onto another drive. You could simply set the software to ensure the location your photos are saved in are continuously backed up to the external drive.
Posted 12 Feb 2016
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I don't use any for realtime synchronisation myself but know it exists. I use Vice Versa Pro but that will only allow you to schedule hourly backups (or on demand of course). SyncBack works in a similar manner.

For the time it takes to do an on-demand backup/synchronisation I don't see the harm in doing it after you stop shooting for breaks etc, although obviously if the PC is running all day the hourly option is viable.

Posted 12 Feb 2016
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
My boss has just walked in and recommends GoodSync for live/realtime synchronisation (it's apparently what we use to synchronise our two offices). He's just shown me it working, it'll continually monitor directories of your choice and back them up to where you want.
Posted 12 Feb 2016
Imagefield
Photographer
Imagefield
GoodSync - will have a look ta
Posted 12 Feb 2016
Liteangle
Photographer
Liteangle
Goodsync works very well, I've been using it for several months.

Posted 13 Feb 2016
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join