Photoshop problems and advice.

Photoshop problems and advice.

11 posts
4 Feb 2016
lxstuart
Photographer
lxstuart
Currently using Photoshop Elements 9, have been for a good few years now, unfortunately I've started having problems with it crashing.
After about 5-10 minutes in the organizer, things start slowing down, and elements crashes. It will not run elements again unless I restart the PC.

As I'm sure you can understand, this is remarkably frustrating.

Interestingly, I don't have any problems when editing photos in PS, it's only when I use the organizer.

The problem started maybe 1 year ago, I have since added more RAM, upgraded GPU (which may have no effect, not sure if Elements uses GPU), and moved my whole library to its own fresh HDD.

95% of my stuff is Canon CR2 raw files.

PC specs; Windows 7 64 bit SP1, AMD 980 3.7GHz, 16GB RAM (was , R9 295X2 GPU

Anyone have any suggestions?

I have also considered just buying a fresh piece of software, but I'm not sure what to go for.
On the one hand, I could get Elements 14 with Premiere 14 (which would be nice as I'm starting to shoot video now) for sub £50.

On the other hand, I hear many good things about lightroom, but I don't really know what it does.
From what I can gather, it's like having a better version of the organizer from elements, with Adobe Camera Raw rolled into it.

I looked at the CC subscription, but I can't justify the cost. I take photos as a hobby so don't make any profit from it, and at ~£100 per year it doesn't make sense for me.

Thanks for reading this far.

Posted 4 Feb 2016
AndyGStudios
Photographer
AndyGStudios
The only issue im aware of is if you make more than 2 hardware changes to the pc between bootup resets and power-down. I understood it only affects the OS though so unlikely to affect indi programs. Maybe just do a clean install of it ? CR2's are encapsulated TIFF files, but a real bugger to recover if anything goes wrong, a new HDD shouldn't make any difference, more ram should have improved performance, as should a more powerful GPU. May even need a fresh OS install, things do go wrong and it's good housekeeping to reinstall it every year or two anyway.

Regarding software, no idea on lightroom, I use ACDSee, lighter footprint for my pc, much better on the ram so it runs a lot faster. Your spec is better than mine though, mine is Windows 7 64 bit SP1, AMD Phenom2 X6 1100T 8Gb ram and 3.3Ghz

Ps: CC didnt make sense to me either, it's only really justifiable if you're earning from your photography, and well, good luck with that these days. I'm still on PS CS5.

Posted 4 Feb 2016
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photogra..
It's probably a problem in the catalog or preferences.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/troubleshoot-catalog-issues-organizer-elements.html

Creating a new preferences file

- Make a note about your current preferences

- Navigate to the Elements Organizer settings folder:

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Elements Organizer\[Version]\Organizer\

Note: AppData folder is hidden so you need to change Windows setting to see all files/folders.

- Rename psa.prf to psa.old.

- Retry launching Elements Organizer

Posted 4 Feb 2016
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I suspect the problem has to do with moving the files to another drive... is it possible you've moved some catalogue files or something? or was it defaulting to a directory that wasn't there.

Lightroom is brilliant for cataloguing, sorting, making selections and general editing (ie. global image changes not on a pixel level) and its ability to push colour, contrast and brightness around is almost unmatched. It has some pixel-level features such as blemish and red eye removal though if needed.

If you do get Lightroom, I recommend buying an extra SSD drive (nothing fancy, ~128GB (~£30) should be fine for most people) and running the Lightroom catalogue files from that as it makes a massive difference to performance (unless you were going to have them on an SSD anyway of course)
Posted 5 Feb 2016
Edited by RedChecker 5 Feb 2016
lxstuart
Photographer
lxstuart
It was crashing before I moved all the files to the new drive, the drive they were on was getting full so I thought maybe that was causing the problems, but it had no affect. Creating the new preferences file worked great for a few hours, but then she crashed again
Posted 5 Feb 2016
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
To be fair, it's quite an old version now and being 32 bit you're missing out on the benefits that 64 bit can offer.

It may be worth completely uninstalling Elements and reinstalling it as there maybe some part of the installation that's corrupted.

Posted 5 Feb 2016
lxstuart
Photographer
lxstuart
I was worried that might be the solution.
My catalogue was backed up recently, I'm guessing it should be fairly easy to re-import everything with that?

Posted 5 Feb 2016
lxstuart
Photographer
lxstuart
Completely uninstalled, restarted, and re-installed.
Entire catalogue already in there, so I didn't need to import anything.
Was working perfectly for about a week, then went back to doing the same thing again.

Downloaded the trial for Lightroom, imported the Elements catalogue.
Lightroom runs noticeably slower than Elements organizer, even when viewing .jpg files.
It finally blue screened whilst viewing jpgs. Not impressed.

Posted 20 Feb 2016
AndyGStudios
Photographer
AndyGStudios
Sounds like it maybe time for some housekeeping.

Posted 20 Feb 2016
lxstuart
Photographer
lxstuart
By that do you mean you think there may be too many photos in the collection?
Or reinstall the operating system?

I currently have over 300GB of mainly Canon CR2 raw files, almost all of it has been imported into the Organizer.

Posted 20 Feb 2016
AndyGStudios
Photographer
AndyGStudios
No not at all. I'm talking about a service... clean out the trash, fix issues in the registry, get rid of null files, defrag if necessary, virus/malware scan, tidy the desktop etc etc... back up files/drives before you start. Look at the fan, is it dirty ? if you're bluescreening, maybe the cpu is overheating, it may need new thermal paste - do a memory test, it may need reseating or replacing... same for the power supply. Lift and reseat daughterboards. Is the bios compromised ? may need updating / reflashing... Check, are you overloading the power supply with many usb addons - you get the idea. Has there been a power cut, is there damage on the drive ? cross-linked files ? Are the drivers up to date ? are 2 drivers conflicting !! .... Computer health check. Cover your bases, keep the system in good order and it should run as smooth as a talcum-powdered babys arse Mine blue-dragon's (BSOD) when I push the RAM too hard... 16GB required, 8's not enough anymore.
Posted 20 Feb 2016
Edited by AndyGStudios 20 Feb 2016
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join