Nik Collection

9 posts
22 Jan 2016
Brian2008
Photographer
Brian2008
Hi All
Do any off you use the Nik collection when your editing your photos please? Is it a good plug in to use please for editing?

Thanks
Brian

Posted 22 Jan 2016
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
I find the SilverEffex (Black and white conversion), and Viveza (spot brightening) very very useful. THe HDR etc I have less call for.  Used with Photoshop CC. No regret at spending the money on NIK.

Posted 23 Jan 2016
AndyGStudios
Photographer
AndyGStudios
Works for me, but like any filter it's easily overused if you're not careful.

Posted 23 Jan 2016
riddell
Photographer
riddell
AndyGStudios

Works for me, but like any filter it's easily overused if you're not careful.

+1

I used to use Niks filters a lot when I wasn't such a good photographer, they are good at giving a boost to an otherwise dull photo, but then as you progress with photography you start to realise just how amateur a route it is and that you should shoot right in the first place and then apply individual processing to that image.

Posted 25 Jan 2016
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
Oh dear.

Posted 27 Jan 2016
Edited by profilepictures 28 Jan 2016
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
LOL!

Posted 28 Jan 2016
AndyGStudios
Photographer
AndyGStudios
A lot depends what you want to achieve, sometimes a filter can save you hours of processing... a daguerreotype effect for example. Not necessarily Nik, there are loads. I can understand the purist viewpoint, and thats great for you, in business, time is money, and if the customer is happy, that's all that counts. If you can do 10 in a day instead of one, thats great for the ole pocket. For those without thousands to spend on expensive lenses, you can emulate the characteristics of one using layer masks... and filters. Again, less is more, don't overdo it. Filters have their place, just don't overdo it. another filter would for example be the raw output sharpener. filters are easily dissed, mostly by those who run them at 100%. When you do frequency seps, guess what, ya, it's a high pass filter. Noise reduction function, yup, it's a filter... Some of the Nik ones are amazing, others, not so much, on their own, but in combination with other NJik, or other companies filters - you can do some really clever stuff. Try doing a droste effect without the filter for that one. Its good to be purist, but nobody should discount the possibilities on offer for creativity atop a base photograph. I rest my case m'lud.
Posted 29 Jan 2016
Fox2006
Photographer
Fox2006
I use the Nic Collection....mostly SilverFx for all B&W, and the odd occasion ColourFx and HDR for landscapes. With most plugins though..less is more.

Posted 29 Jan 2016
Brian2008
Photographer
Brian2008
Tank you al for the feed back great help! Best regards Brian
Posted 29 Jan 2016
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join