That most painful of emails to answer...

That most painful of emails to answer...

9 posts
5 Jan 2016
Havocphotography
Photographer
Havocphotogr..
"could you tell me why?" (from a model, in relation to a thank you, but no, casting application).

And therein lies a minefield.

Posted 5 Jan 2016
paule
Photographer
paule
You can be honest without being brutal or rude..

- Tell them why you chose someone else.
- Let them know your thoughts on what would have improved their chances, in your eyes, for the casting.

It can be an almost undesirable think that makes you choose A before B.. I often find it's just a look in one portfolio photo that can swing a decision and its almost always in a facial expression over, anything else.

Being able to pull a really convincing expression full of an emotion is top draw, imho.

Just give some constructive, positive feedback..

Posted 5 Jan 2016
Havocphotography
Photographer
Havocphotogr..
Yeah I thought about it and was going to try this even though to be quite frank, the real reasons would have been moderately... brutal. But she's blocked me, haha. Oh welL! I guess she changed her mind eh?!

Posted 5 Jan 2016
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Havocphotography

she's blocked me

Congratulations!
I find that usually the least suitable applicants tend to be the ones who take even an overly polite rejection badly, so you may well have just had a very close shave.
Bob

Posted 5 Jan 2016
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
paule

You can be honest without being brutal or rude

Where's the fun in that?
Posted 5 Jan 2016
digitalmood
Photographer
digitalmood
......."its because of those blue faces in your feedback section" lol
Posted 5 Jan 2016
paule
Photographer
paule
Havocphotography

she's blocked me, haha. Oh welL! I guess she changed her mind eh?!

Her loss..

*like your 500px stuff..

Posted 5 Jan 2016
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
Havocphotography

"could you tell me why?" (from a model, in relation to a thank you, but no, casting application). And therein lies a minefield.

I don't see it as a minefield.

A straightforward factual answer is fine when the reason is simple and objective. For example: "your dress size/age/height is outside the range that we need for this shoot". Or "unfortunately the images you have available didn't give me a clear enough indication of your appearance for me to be able to make a casting decision. If you have new images t hat you'd like to show me at some point I'll be happy to reconsider you for a future shoot". "This project needs a model with longer hair. If in the future you grow your hair long, I'll be happy to consider you for a shoot". 

If the reason isn't objective enough to be expressed that way, you can give a more general reply while still being factual, such as "unfortunately your look doesn't fit the style I'm looking for for this shoot". Or (if applicable) "unfortunately the client didn't select you for this shoot".

Posted 9 Jan 2016
Edited by skymouse 9 Jan 2016
AndyGStudios
Photographer
AndyGStudios
digitalmood
......."its because of those blue faces in your feedback section" lol
That would cover it... also, they don't worry about telling you, why worry about telling them, they are professionals, they can handle it... most people understand what preferences are. That or they were unsuitable in the first place but responded anyway. you don't have to be brutal or insulting - just honest... if they can't handle your truth or opinion without chucking a mental benoit, they shouldn't be modelling. ... but ya, mostly the blue faces lol
Posted 10 Jan 2016
Edited by AndyGStudios 9 Jan 2016
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join