Left hand DSLR ??

Left hand DSLR ??

15 posts
25 Dec 2015
darrinhenry
Photographer
darrinhenry

Is there such a thing as a DSLR designed for left handed use only?
In a conversation last night this topic came up, in context of an amputee or someone with only use of their left hand. Never thought about it before but also never known of a left handed DSLR. A little random, but there it is
Merry Christmas P-Stormers!

Posted 25 Dec 2015
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Never seen one and seriously doubt it has ever been done. I'm left handed as is my son but we both use right handed cameras scissors and tools without problem. To be honest I suspect most of the occasional whinging about the problems of being left handed are by right handed people intent on showing support where none is needed or asked for.

Can see it being a problem perhaps for an amputee but I'm sure if I were ever in that unfortunate situation I would soon jury rig something with a remote release.

Posted 25 Dec 2015
ConceptOL9
Photographer
ConceptOL9
I remember some years ago Yashica made a left hand version of one of their cameras, but I haven't heard of any since.

Posted 25 Dec 2015
Edited by ConceptOL9 25 Dec 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
In practical terms, no,options for amputees that come straight out of the box.

Posted 25 Dec 2015
Johnathons
Photographer
Johnathons
Have you tried The Disable Photographers Association?

Posted 25 Dec 2015
Johnathons
Photographer
Johnathons
Society

Posted 25 Dec 2015
MrTim
Photographer
MrTim
I have a feeling someone did one about ten years ago (maybe Fuji?), but it evidently didn't really catch on as a concept and of course the specs would be rubbish by today's standards (if it did even exist!).

Posted 27 Dec 2015
Edited by MrTim 27 Dec 2015
darrinhenry
Photographer
darrinhenry
Was doing a little search on google to see what there was. These images are interesting.
Posted 27 Dec 2015
darrinhenry
Photographer
darrinhenry
ConceptOL9

I remember some years ago Yashica made a left hand version of one of their cameras, but I haven't heard of any since.

Haven't heard the 'Yashica' name for years Reminded me of my very first 35mm camera, way back in the day, point and shoot jobby with 3 or 4 mode settings. I used it for my Duke of Edinburgh bronze award and thought I was the bee's knees with that little camera!
Posted 27 Dec 2015
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
Not remotely digital, so sorry this is 'off topic', but I think there was a Swiss made 35mm Alpa camera that had a left hand wind lever, it's a loooong time ago.

Posted 27 Dec 2015
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
Forget the last reply, I remember now, the Alpa had a rh winder lever but it worked the ' opposite' way the lever was at the front and you turned it clockwise with the right forefinger, rather than anti-clockwise with the thumb.

Posted 27 Dec 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I'm sort-of surprised nobody has bothered to take a leaf out of Red's book and make a completely modular camera (but obviously not quite as high-end) for the enthusiast market, especially considering the uptake in the number of people shooting video with all manner of custom mounts/rigs.

Perhaps something like that will arrive once mirrorless cameras are mainstream.

Posted 28 Dec 2015
rogerholt
Photographer
rogerholt
I am a photographer with a cerebral palsy condition of my right hand ,so I have made a special study of this . In the past the only cameras that had left hand releases, were the Rolleicord Vb and the Exakta Varex IIa . Nowadays the only solution is to use an electronic cable release . Very effective . If you have any real problems then you are welcome to contact me for further advice . Happy New Year Roger

Posted 30 Dec 2015
lensman100
Photographer
lensman100
I've got a set of left-handed spanners for sale if that helps...

Posted 30 Dec 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join