Rail travel

15 posts
10 Dec 2015
What a truly wonderful rail service we have in UK  in 21st centuary.

Attempted to arrange a booking with a model based in Skegness approx' 60 miles from Kings Lynn [ my base ] . Would you believe [ have not kept details ] however a return journey by train or coach is not possible in one day.

Today looking to book a model from Northampton 63 mile journey. Details for train journey . Duration 3 hrs 51 minutes . Cost £ 60-70 return ?
Posted 10 Dec 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
My sister lives in Lynn and the trains pretty much only run to/from London from what she says (and not even to Norwich).

Rather than waste £billions on HS2 I'd rather see that money go into lines for places like that, connecting the harder to reach places with nearby towns. Not as much money in it I guess, or at the very least... not as easy to explain the investment.

Posted 10 Dec 2015
Yes only one line out of Kings Lynn to Kings Cross.
The Lynn to Norwich line although at the time always seemed to be very well used went under the Beeching cull .
Posted 10 Dec 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
The Lynn to Hunstanton line has also for many years made sense to re-open (judging by summer/weekend traffic jams) if it weren't for the fact they rapidly built over the lines during the cull also.

Posted 10 Dec 2015
Bob
Photographer
Bob
kerandastudio2

Attempted to arrange a booking with a model based in Skegness approx' 60 miles from Kings Lynn [ my base ]. Would you believe [ have not kept details ] however a return journey by train or coach is not possible in one day.

I wouldn't believe it, as there are five trains out of Skeggie to KL which the model could catch on a day return ticket any day except Sunday (when there are only three).

See https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/

Mind you, why anyone would want to return to Skeggie once they had tasted freedom is beyond me.

Then again, having frequently had to travel through KL from the Notts border and been astounded that a 60 mile road journey into Tractor Boy country  can regularly take close on two hours, I have often wondered why anyone would choose to live in that remote part of East Anglia.

Bob
Posted 10 Dec 2015
Bob
Photographer
Bob
RedChecker

My sister lives in Lynn and the trains pretty much only run to/from London from what she says (and not even to Norwich).

There is no direct service from KL to Norwich, but you can get there easily by changing trains at Ely.

The road journey between KL and Norwich on the A47 is just as slow as the A1 to KL stretch of the A17, with 35mph being a good average any time other than in the middle of the night, but as everybody there seems to drive a tractor it is hardly surprising.

Bob

PS. Since becoming eligible for wrinkly discount on the trains I've been making much more use of them and have ditched my 'motorway' car, now only running my little 'town' car. The UK's rail network is actually not too bad, just so long as you are not planning on travelling through the London or Birmingham connurbations during Lemming Time when long distance fares are set ridiculously high to try to create more space in the carriages for commuters.
Posted 10 Dec 2015
Edited by Bob 10 Dec 2015
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
Bob

There is no direct service from KL to Norwich

Just hovered over without having read the thread and read this as "no direct service from Kuala Lumpur to Norwich".
Posted 10 Dec 2015
mph
Photographer
mph
Nope - you have to change at Aberystwyth

Posted 12 Dec 2015
MrTim
Photographer
MrTim
The public transport system in this country seems to be fundamentally broken to me. The train is sometimes cheaper if I know exactly what times I want to travel at least a month in advance, but if not the budget option is always going by car. Whether it's going halfway across the country or popping into town, the cost of petrol and parking is invariably significantly less than the train or bus fare. I know there are other costs involved in owning a car, but as I do have one the additional expense is what counts on a per journey basis. It really should be a luxury to travel on my own in a private vehicle rather than the low budget option, but that's not how it works!

Posted 12 Dec 2015
Edited by MrTim 12 Dec 2015
MG
Photographer
MG
Bob
There is no direct service from KL to Norwich, but you can get there easily by changing trains at Ely. The road journey between KL and Norwich on the A47 is just as slow as the A1 to KL stretch of the A17, with 35mph being a good average any time other than in the middle of the night, but as everybody there seems to drive a tractor it is hardly surprising. Bob PS. Since becoming eligible for wrinkly discount on the trains I've been making much more use of them and have ditched my 'motorway' car, now only running my little 'town' car. The UK's rail network is actually not too bad, just so long as you are not planning on travelling through the London or Birmingham connurbations during Lemming Time when long distance fares are set ridiculously high to try to create more space in the carriages for commuters.
Gees uncle Bob you've turned in to national rail enquiries! Haha. I miss the days where we used to call India tomfind out how we get from Coventry to Birmingham on the train to be told to catch the train to London and then change to Birmingham! They had no conception of where Coventry or Birmingham were in relation tomeach other!
Posted 14 Dec 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
MrTim

The public transport system in this country seems to be fundamentally broken to me. The train is sometimes cheaper if I know exactly what times I want to travel at least a month in advance, but if not the budget option is always going by car. Whether it's going halfway across the country or popping into town, the cost of petrol and parking is invariably significantly less than the train or bus fare. I know there are other costs involved in owning a car, but as I do have one the additional expense is what counts on a per journey basis. It really should be a luxury to travel on my own in a private vehicle rather than the low budget option, but that's not how it works!

And that's my main gripe with HS2 (which is skimming the edge of the village where I live).  One of the major selling points of it is that the HS2 consortium claimed it'll reduce traffic in North London by several thousand cars a day but I personally don't believe a word of it.  Already travel from Birmingham to London is around the £100 return for peak times and I'd imagine the premium that HS2 would charge could potentially double this (it's a luxury service afterall).  Other than a comparitively small minority of super-wealthy businessmen/women who'd use the premium service, for the life of me I cannot understand who'd bother with those sorts of costs for the sake of saving half an hour on the journey and many would still opt for using their cars (which as you say... you're already paying for with ownership anyway so you may as well use it).

Like I said earlier, I'd much rather see lots of smaller non-premium commuter services interconnecting towns around the country than blowing the whole lot on a single premium service that's already catered for (albeit, at capacity but encouraging other towns to do business with each other would IMO ease the pressure off simply doing business with London alone)
Posted 14 Dec 2015
Bob
Photographer
Bob
MrTim

The public transport system in this country seems to be fundamentally broken to me.

You're possibly not using it much then.

On Saturday I wandered down to my local station to catch the 10:15, undertook a CAMRA Half-Pint Half-Marathon around thirteen pubs in Exeter between 11:00 and 19:00, threw in a 14th watering hole for luck, and still caught the 19:30 back home to allow me to take in a 4 King Dwarphz gig in a local pub at 21:00. Other than one train running three minutes late, on account of the hordes of once a year Xmas Shoppers who all turned up a few minutes before departure still needing to buy tickets, everythinhg ran smoothly. Had I done the same journey buy bus it would have taken twice as long (or more on the way in due to 'big city' traffic gridlock on a Saturday) and cost at least twice as much, plus there would have been no 'onboard comfort station' to relieve pressure on the bladder (which would have been exacerbatted by the potholes and bends). Even without a railcard the cost of a non-discounted Day Return for this journey is less than the basic petrol costs, and it would have cost twice as much again to park the car for the day (not that I would have been able to lawfully drive back after supping all that ale).

Mid-week I have to go up to London for an AGM and Xmas Bash in the evening. I have just purchased outbound & return Advance Single tickets for £28 using my Railcard, and I will be able to work on my laptop on both journeys, which I couldn't do while driving or travelling by coach.

Next week I have a couple of Xmas bashes to attend on consecutive nights up in Yorkshire. Total price of tickets purchased in advance was just £65.65 with my Railcard. Even at £1.05 a litre, petrol costs alone for the trip would be about £75. I could probably shave an hour off the travel time each way by driving if I started my journey very early in the morning to allow skirting around Yam-Yamland before traffic builds up, but I would get no work done while driving and I'd be knackered at the end of the journey.

By letting the train take the strain life is much more rewarding.

My only real grumble with the UK's rail network is that, with the exception of a few slow-running Sleeper services it is not 24/7; but that is down to the Transport Union commissars, who seem to be trying to keep things the way they were back in the bad old days of British Fail.

Bob

PS Having also quite recently travelled by train in Norway, Poland, Germany, France, the Czech Republic and Spain I reckon these days Britain's railways are actually not too bad ... and if it wasn't for NIMBY protestors standing in the way of progress our rail network might even get better.
Posted 14 Dec 2015
MrTim
Photographer
MrTim
The train is always my first choice (I'd prefer to be sat there reading rather than driving), but - recent example - when I had a week's notice of needing to get to Sheffield for the day the prices were something like Train - £80. Coach - £60, (and a travel time of seven hours each way!), Petrol cost £45 (and found somewhere to park for free). I can't justify the vast extra expense! Like I said, it can be fine if you have plenty of notice (I booked train tickets to Birmingham four months in advance for about £15 return when the petrol cost would have been about £50), but that's not always the case!

Posted 14 Dec 2015
AndyGStudios
Photographer
AndyGStudios
Sod HS2, invest in the Hyperloop
Posted 21 Dec 2015
WESTEND_PORTFOLIOS
Photographer
WESTEND_PORT..
MG
They had no conception of where Coventry or Birmingham were in relation tomeach other!
did they not ask you if you had a valid passport for this journey???
Posted 22 Dec 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join