PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
Thank you
Posted 21 Nov 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
Amongst the portfolio are some nice shots, though there's a repetitive feel to them as a collection and I think a significant cull would present your style more favourably.
There are also a lot of non events recorded, even duplicates of these, no narrative, nothing in the costume or pose or narrative to give interest.
Its plain you can take a good picture, but not that you know when that's happened beyond the parameters of exposure and focus etc. Just occasionally, there are hints of great things though.

Posted 21 Nov 2015
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
Thanks for your review. I totally agree that a cull should be on the cards. Not just for the reason you give though, but also because I'm at the limit of my allowable number of photos for Silver membership. I also agree that there's a lot of samey stuff on my profile; maybe time I stepped out of my comfort zone and tried something a bit different. Not being very creative myself though, I might have to rely on my models to come up with ideas (not that they don't already have significant input on my shoots, I hasten to add). And that word 'narrative' - I see it often in magazines and forum discussions, but tbh, to me it's just a bit pretentious. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking photographers who want their work to tell a story or have a meaning, but me, I just want to take nice pictures of models. And finally, thanks for the compliments in your review, they're much appreciated.

Posted 22 Nov 2015
Edited by PaulManuell 22 Nov 2015
diipii
Photographer
diipii
"maybe time I stepped out of my comfort zone"
Spot on.

"rely on my models to come up with ideas"
No, who's work it this ?

"have a meaning"
Without this your forum post title is right on the money.

Posted 18 Feb 2016
Edited by diipii 18 Feb 2016
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
diipii
"rely on my models to come up with ideas" No, who's work it this ?
If the shoot's tf, I consider the work to be ours (mine and the model's). If I'm paying the model, the work's mine. However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't like or appreciate any ideas or input from her.
Posted 19 Feb 2016
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
diipii
your forum post title is right on the money.
I know, that's why I chose it. I'm not precious about my photography, I don't consider myself an artist, I don't make images that capture a moment in time or any other of that pretentious ********. I'm simply a bloke (or guy) who happens to love taking photos of attractive women and I own a camera with which to do so, hence I'm a GWC.
Posted 19 Feb 2016
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
Clinging to the word 'pretentious' has become a little bit of an intellectual figleaf I suspect. If you're staying a picture of a lady flagging down a car whilst secreting a hand gun you really are telling a story, narrative, whichever word currently jars you least. You suggest a collaboration of ideas which is a creative process, hence imagining a story, however short, you will try to tell.

Face it, its your opinion of others that's holding you back, and you'd have to ask yourself why, wouldn't you?

Posted 21 Feb 2016
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
And since you're not making technical photographs, sorry, you are an artist. Its ok, nobody will think any worse of you for that. You're producing intellectual property, enjoy.

Posted 21 Feb 2016
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
profilepictures
its your opinion of others that's holding you back
My opinion of you is that you're a smug, arrogant twat and it's not holding me back one iota.
Posted 22 Feb 2016
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
That's a pity really, I was trying to help, and put away previous personal differences. Please, do carry on uninterrupted with your photographic 'groundhog day'.

Posted 22 Feb 2016
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Paul what is the point of posting for feedback if you are simply going to get snarky over perfectly polite and reasonable comments? Seeking to making a deal over being a GWC is every bit as pretentious in my book as the words you complain about. If all you want to do is have fun shooting naked girls fine. If you ask for feedback though the intimation is that you actually want to do better than what you are currently achieving so don't whinge when given suggestions.

In fairness your images are actually quite well composed and exposed but as pointed out it would be good to see a little more variety. From my point of view I do feel you have far too many shots from quite a low angle. That is below the models eye-line. This can work for certain styles of image. Perhaps it is simply your preference for dominant women in your images but I would look round more for some different angles during your shoots. A few less 'standing around' shots too. You have some great locations there that could have bee worked harder. Shooting against or along walls. Oh and some smiles every now and again from the models would not go amiss.

All personal views of course

Posted 22 Feb 2016
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
PaulManuell

And that word 'narrative' - I see it often in magazines and forum discussions, but tbh, to me it's just a bit pretentious. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking photographers who want their work to tell a story or have a meaning, but me, I just want to take nice pictures of models.

I actually think you're doing yourself a disservice here. There's evidence in your portfolio that you have tried to inject some 'narrative' into your images, for example:

^^^  I think these are the more interesting images on your portfolio.

I'd like to see more of this. I think you could have fun coming up with some storytelling in your photography.  It's something I'd like to explore for myself, but my images are mainly glamour / portraits.

Best regards
Paul
Posted 22 Feb 2016
Edited by Paul_Jones 22 Feb 2016
diipii
Photographer
diipii
PaulManuell
I know, that's why I chose it. I'm not precious about my photography, I don't consider myself an artist, I don't make images that capture a moment in time or any other of that pretentious ********. I'm simply a bloke (or guy) who happens to love taking photos of attractive women and I own a camera with which to do so, hence I'm a GWC.
Blinkered inverted snobbery and not a little creepy. Try still life and you might begin to emerge as a photographer and an adult.
Posted 16 April 2016
Edited by diipii 16 April 2016
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join