Resizing advice required

11 posts
11 Nov 2015
YellowSnapper
Photographer
YellowSnapper
Hi guys,

I want to provide the images digitally to a high standard, but leave some of the quality off so they can't print their own.....

please advise what I should resize to
Posted 11 Nov 2015
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
I want to buy a new Aston Martin but need to keep the price down to around that of a second hand fiesta. Perhaps the person who can answer your question can solve my minor problem at the same time Sorry but while I understand your desire it is not going to happen. If it is high enough quality and size to look good on a modern computer screen it will be printable. Assuming they even want to of course. It may not be what we would consider acceptable but Joe bloggs won't care. If you are offering digital then you need to charge a serious premium to ensure you reach your target sale with the digital package offered as you will not make any further sales. Even watermarks don't bother a lot of people.
Posted 11 Nov 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Yep, my one foray into commercial photography revealed this. People don't care about quality/watermarks etc. as long as they don't have to pay. People are (an the whole) so scabby they'll happily even take an out of focus camera phone photo of a watermarked image rather than pay a single penny.

If you don't want them to print the images... don't let them have copies until they cough up the money for them (either print or on screen).  This is likely one of the reasons that the likes of Venture sit you in front of their screens on a sofa rather than giving you copies to take away.
Posted 12 Nov 2015
Edited by RedChecker 12 Nov 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Put the pictures on smugmug. You can set your price as download or print or canvas or framed etc etc) and they'll be printed and delivered through Loxley, who are first class. Password protected. There's a disable right click option, though a screen shot is always possible. Other than that, get paid before the pictures are released which is always the best option.

Posted 12 Nov 2015
thelook
Photographer
thelook
I use TSR Watermark image setting DPI output to 72, reducing the output quality to 70 and resizing to 650x650 and adding a watermark.
Of course they can still be used on Facebook and suchlike but for printing they are really poor.
As everyone else has said, it won't stop the dishonest from using them.

Posted 12 Nov 2015
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
RedChecker

--snip--
If you don't want them to print the images... don't let them have copies until they cough up the money for them (either print or on screen).  This is likely one of the reasons that the likes of Venture sit you in front of their screens on a sofa rather than giving you copies to take away.

Only a small part if any. The main reason is the massive difference in person sales make compared to just throwing them online or giving a CD of proof images to view and order from. Venture used to aim at an average of £1,500. That included no-sales.

Posted 13 Nov 2015
Edited by redbaron 13 Nov 2015
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
What a bizarre thread.

How can there be two Reds (other colours are available) in a diminutive place the size of Stoke Mandeville?

Posted 13 Nov 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
It's the center of the known universe
Posted 14 Nov 2015
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
w4pictures

What a bizarre thread. How can there be two Reds (other colours are available) in a diminutive place the size of Stoke Mandeville?

Well my excuse is being too much of a feeble lazy arse to come up with anything remotely imaginative as my name is actually Baron.

Posted 14 Nov 2015
I mirror profilepictures. Loxley Colour are really good.

I would also suggest having a look at www.shootproof.com

Images can be viewed online in Hi-Res. Right Click Disabled. Images can be bought online and delivered by Loxley. You can set your own profit margin.

Digital Downloads are available. Either individually or whole Album.

It is possible, if you wish, to set a Free Digital Download - This avoids the need to copy everything onto a CD/DVD if you have incorporate free images into your original pricing structure.

I set the Digital downloads to £100.

I use a "Stage System" for pricing the wedding - and all couples are aware of this when they book:

Stage 1: £500 to photograph wedding (or shoot) - price depends on time

after wedding....

Stage 2: Either order prints, which are fulfilled by Loxley, or digitally download all the images for £100 (If they would rather get prints from Tesco for example!)

Stage 3: Albums Canvasses etc can be purchased

Hope this helps

Paul.

Posted 15 Nov 2015
riddell
Photographer
riddell
RedChecker

People don't care about quality/watermarks etc. as long as they don't have to pay. People are (an the whole) so scabby they'll happily even take an out of focus camera phone photo of a watermarked image rather than pay a single penny.

Yep. There are a whole bunch of those people and if its those kind of people you are working with then the only way to be commercially successful is to charge enough up front i.e. for time, travel etc. that it doesn't matter if they place any orders afterwards.

Anything you then sell on top is just a bonus.

Alternatively a lot of commercially successful photographers work on the basis of taking a retainer. i.e. if you are onsite selling images, then you take an initial fee up front, say £500.00 to cover your basic expenses and then if you sell £500.00 worth of prints they get their retainer back. If you only sell £250.00 worth of prints then they get £250 of their retainer back.

This way you are always guaranteed a minimum. It also really helps that a customer faced with losing his retainer will make more of an effort to promote the event and photography meaning you'll probably make more.

Very few commercially successful photographers do it just on spec anymore.

Posted 16 Nov 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join