Do Models Pay to get Published in a magazine

Do Models Pay to get Published in a magazine

14 posts
19 Oct 2015
Hey,

Just on a quick note. I've be approached to, do a editorial shoot. They have said, that I need to pay for stylist and mua.

Is this correct, as i thought the model should get paid?

Posted 19 Oct 2015
Bob
Photographer
Bob
MissCreative

Hey, Just on a quick note. I've be approached to, do a editorial shoot. They have said, that I need to pay for stylist and mua. Is this correct, as i thought the model should get paid?

It's probably a 419 Fraud, or Advance Fee Fraud. There seems to have been a resurgence.

Having said that, there are so many vanity publishing 'magazines' and 'webzines' doing the rounds at the moment, and so many models and photographers clamouring to work for them for free, that sooner or later the concept of hobbyist photographers and aspiring models paying other creatives to produce free content for publishers is bound to become commonplace.

Bob

Posted 19 Oct 2015
Edited by Bob 19 Oct 2015
It's the model that gets paid!

Posted 19 Oct 2015
Bob
Photographer
Bob
mariapantellismodel

It's the model that gets paid!

FFS don't tell that to all those magazine publishers who pay photographers!
I'm way too old to go back to college to learn a new trade.
Bob
Posted 19 Oct 2015
Bob
FFS don't tell that to all those magazine publishers who pay photographers! I'm way too old to go back to college to learn a new trade. Bob
I meant to say photographers get paid too! I know some of the smaller publications charge models/photographers to get published in them which is ridiculous ??
Posted 19 Oct 2015
*!

Posted 19 Oct 2015
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
There are plenty of publications around whose business plan relies solely upon making a profit from peoples' vanity and an insane desire for people to be able to claim they've been published. Expect to pay everyone involved - the photographer, the mua, hair, the stylist, the location and, of course, the publisher too. But hey, what price vanity...??

Posted 19 Oct 2015
So the model shouldn't have to pay right?

Posted 19 Oct 2015
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
MissCreative

So the model shouldn't have to pay right?

Depends whether you'll be getting anything which YOU think is worth paying for. If I was wearing my modelling hat I think it's extremely likely that I'd have lost all interest the moment it became obvious I wouldn't be paid a modelling fee. But I'm not you. Obviously.
Posted 19 Oct 2015
Edited by marlhamphoto 19 Oct 2015
Ok thanks for your advice Marlham

Posted 19 Oct 2015
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
MissCreative

Ok thanks for your advice Marlham

No problem. No harm in asking anything if you're not sure

Posted 19 Oct 2015
Photog3000
Photographer
Photog3000
Model friend paid to get published and her work has nearly trebled. Rare, I think, but sometimes you got to speculate to accumulate. I sometimes get paid to take photos and sometimes I'll work tf, it benefits me sometimes to do that.

Posted 19 Oct 2015
May I ask Maria, please, if it was a Russian magazine that approached you? I had an email through my website recently, from one such publication who wanted to do a feature on me...it sounded very iffy.

Also, there are a few American magazines that request a payment for them to publish a model picture editorial. A bikini magazine one, springs to mind.

The Freelance Photographers Market Handbook is a brilliant reference publication for both photographers and models,  having a very informative section on magazines and what any given magazine actually require and pay for accordingly.

You were right to be concerned in your orginal posting.

Posted 19 Oct 2015
Edited by SuzyMonty 19 Oct 2015
Hey Suzy, Thanks for your message. I'm not quite sure, yet what publication or would be, for. Once i know, I'll check it out. Regards Maria
Posted 19 Oct 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join