Portfolio Review please

5 posts
27 Sep 2015
Please review my portfolio, all comments very welcomed

Posted 27 Sep 2015
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
With regard to your current main image the immediate impression is that it's been processed far too heavily. A heavy blur is evident all over the image, not just the skin. The eyes have been processed to the point of looking unreal. Her face is uniformly bright to the point of looking flat (lacking form).

At the very least you need to wind your processing right back - and refine its application IMO. It might be helpful if you outline the techniques you followed and the applications you used to get to where you did so people can perhaps give useful advice on how to change it for the better. I know 'better' is subjective but at least give it a try.

BTW I noticed that a whole bunch of notes are duplicated in your profile.

Best of luck

Posted 27 Sep 2015
Edited by marlhamphoto 27 Sep 2015
Liteangle
Photographer
Liteangle
I agree with what Marlham has written.

Regarding the artistic nudes you need to improve your lighting skills. Top lighting can work well but some of these poses would be more successful if lit from the sides. In the fourth image the model's left leg is in shadow. It's important to get separation of the model from the background. See what they look like in mono, it can help you understand the lighting.

Posted 27 Sep 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Skin's been covered, you overcooked it badly. Your lighting might be ok, but we only get one studio set,to,check here, and its pretty dark. Outdoors if anything, there's less promise since in the steps picture there were a hundred pretty composition options and you avoided any of them. In those situations, try to get your lens level with the middle of the model to keep them,looking good. Top down is bad news. Waterside is better, but hardly something you'll attract much tf or paid work from. So, not terrible at all, plenty,to work on.

Posted 27 Sep 2015
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Hmm. I wonder how many models on here have thought it a good deal to pay for the privilege of you taking them out to lunch!

Comments have already been made on the main image. Most software that offers a skin softening option cannot tell between blond hair and skin. You need to learn how to mask out the bits that should not get treated. Over white eyes are another classic mistake. the art nudes don't do anything for me I'm afraid. they lack finesse in the editing and position of lighting. Shadows seem to block out and for me the skin colouring is too dark andsaturated. A more desaturated or even B&W finish would have worked better.

While I have no doubt there are models and photographers who can come new to sites like this and start demanding people pay them I really don't think you are ready for that to be honest. Much better to approach some local models who have the sort of work you want to add to your portfolio with a clear concept that fits what they do. You may get some willing to collaborate. At least for fashion and portrait work.

Posted 28 Sep 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join