Magnum photographer using Professional mode on his camera...

Magnum photographer using Professional mode on his camera...

34 posts
13 Aug 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
It seems Martin Parr does according to this

So if a Magnum photographer can get away with it, it pretty much proves the snobbery is unfounded cheeky
Posted 13 Aug 2015
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
It makes sense for a documentary photographer not to be burdened with the technicalities. The old joke about choosing the f-stop on the film box had more than a grain of common usage. Cloudy bright, f11 or full sun, f16 gave a pretty accurate exposure for many.

Posted 13 Aug 2015
Alan_Jay
Photographer
Alan_Jay
That comes as no surprise,  Program mode is exceptionally useful.  It's one of the best tools in my bag
Posted 14 Aug 2015
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhoto..
RedChecker

It seems Martin Parr does according to this

...but his horizon is way off in that first pic, unforgivable..........
Posted 14 Aug 2015
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
You should be able to use full auto mode for photographing ice creams.

Posted 14 Aug 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
I was all set to defend the concept based on the premise that a picture can be compelling without being technically special, so whatever gets the picture is fine. I then had a look at this blokes work, and his photoshop technique.

It falls firmly into the 'something and **** all' school to my way of thinking. For all the money and opportunity presented to him, I didn't see a single picture I'd be proud of on his website. Good luck to him, he's an impressive blagger from what I can tell so far.

Posted 14 Aug 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I remember reading that Magnum almost ripped itself in half when Parr was made a member as his work & style divided opinion so thoroughly among its other members (can't say I agree with it when you see some of the other names both past and present who've been part of it).

It does tickle me though that whenever you get newbies asking for advice, you always get the snobs who insist that auto/semi-auto modes should never be used as you'll never learn anything (I disagree as composition and at least semi-auto modes remove one of the variables to worry about).

Posted 14 Aug 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
Don't get me started on jokers who waffle in about only ever shooting manual ( or analogue for that matter) suggesting either mastery of their art or some Zen like path to enlightenment ) but their pictures are laughable.

If the hair shirt brigade are that bloody purist, go the whole hog and take a bit of paper and a pencil to record the scene.

I'll freely admit I use AV with exposure comp 80% of the time, probably 5% TV and the rest manual. I don't use programme modes but I know several,good photographers who do and make,great pictures.

Posted 14 Aug 2015
Rawandthecooked
Photographer
Rawandthecoo..
No surprise to me! Though usually my preferred semi auto mode is aperture priority! I've had guys come up to me at weddings almost incensed to find I'm in an auto mode! If the light is changing rapidly, and your shooting on the fly, program will get you there eight times out of ten! The other two times, compensate! Manual is for consistent light conditions and studio work. Nothing magic about it.....

Posted 14 Aug 2015
pixels2pictures
Photographer
pixels2pictu..
It would seem the only people interested in how an image was captured are, amateur photographers, camera club members and purists who insist it all has to be perfect in camera.

Let's face facts no client is in the slightest concerned how the image was captured, if it meets the brief and is what was required then they are happy.

If Mr Parr was to read this thread, I doubt that will happen, he would no doubt fall off his chair laughing and continue to laugh all the way to the bank to pay in his photography fees.

I just wonder how many photographers on here actually make that journey to the bank.

Posted 14 Aug 2015
Rawandthecooked
Photographer
Rawandthecoo..
I don't. It's mostly electronic transfer these days........

Posted 14 Aug 2015
pixels2pictures
Photographer
pixels2pictu..
Rawandthecooked

I don't. It's mostly electronic transfer these days........
Very sensible too, forgive me I should followed the BBCs code and added "there are other ways to put ones payment into banks" 

Posted 14 Aug 2015
Bob
Photographer
Bob
pixels2pictures

It would seem the only people interested in how an image was captured are, amateur photographers, camera club members and purists who insist it all has to be perfect in camera. Let's face facts no client is in the slightest concerned how the image was captured, if it meets the brief and is what was required then they are happy.

Ssssssssshhh! I don't think you are allowed to say that on t'internet sites.
You'll both cause great offence and burst the bubbles of those 'togs' who think the only way to fame and fortune is through text book perfection when taking photographs.
Bob

Posted 14 Aug 2015
pixels2pictures
Photographer
pixels2pictu..
Bob

Ssssssssshhh! I don't think you are allowed to say that on t'internet sites.
You'll both cause great offence and burst the bubbles of those 'togs' who think the only way to fame and fortune is through text book perfection when taking photographs.
Bob

Oh dear trust me to put my foot in it, still I know the ones you mean, there is hope for that group I hear reserch is close to completion of a combined vision and creativity treatment, the problem is at the moment it has side effects such as creating delusions of grandeur in some recipients.

Posted 14 Aug 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
What I find difficult to explain to some of the purists is that in manual you twiddle two dials, one for shutter one for aperture...whereas in AV you twiddle (wait for it) two dials aperture and exposure compensation...the difference being when the situation gets busy there's a greater chance,on the fly that in AV my composition will stay tidy (especially if I tweaking focus points at the same time) and my decision on depth of field gets priority whilst I'm tap dancing. Equally I know with my lens set, which aperture value is sharpest, so can bias results towards those if relevant.

Each to their own, but id feel happier catching a thrown boquet or bird in flight with a semi auto mode rather than full manual. Hell, ill even go for a limited range on auto ISO if I think it'll help, and it often does.

Posted 14 Aug 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join