They cannot be serious!

They cannot be serious!

21 posts
8 Aug 2015
bdfoto
Photographer
bdfoto
I just checked through the recent "newbies" saying "Hi" on this forum, and two who posted here recently have already left the site.

Of the two models who posted castings and to which I responded recently, (one of them with quality publication credits already), neither has responded to my applications to their castings, and neither has actually returned to log on to the site since posting their castings.

I have two major websites seeking my images, albeit on syndication ... credits to die for as they say for models seriously into then genres these sites seek, and I've found fewer than twenty models with the skills and the right looks across the major modelling sites in six months.  I am now seriously looking at mainland European models to supply the clients' needs.

The thing I find probably more frustrating than anything else is poor communications, especially from models.  (If your comms are good, I am not criticising you.)

How do others feel?
Posted 8 Aug 2015
Edited by bdfoto 8 Aug 2015
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Life goes on...

Posted 8 Aug 2015
Paul_J
Photographer
Paul_J
bdfoto
How do others feel?
i feel there was no need to start this thread! you've started off by drawing our attention to just 2 individual newbie models who've dared to join purestorm & say 'hi'. yet, in the second part of your post you've admitted you've had an on-going inability to recruit models running throughout most this year to the point of having to look at the european market. i understand frustration regarding poor comms, lack of available talent etc. but if this is something you've been experiencing for months surely it's wrong to single out these two new models?
Posted 8 Aug 2015
bdfoto
Photographer
bdfoto
I'm not singling them out. I'm merely citing them as examples. It's not uncommon. And it's not just this site.

I take your point. What I'd really like to see is constructive ideas as to how to make things better here ... and elsewhere generally.

Posted 8 Aug 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Many models leave shortly after joining as they're hounded by photographers keen get hold of fresh meat, and more often than not they'll likely be inundated with inappropriate offers well beyond their desired levels.

Posted 8 Aug 2015
bdfoto
Photographer
bdfoto
RedChecker

Many models leave shortly after joining as they're hounded by photographers keen get hold of fresh meat, and more often than not they'll likely be inundated with inappropriate offers well beyond their desired levels.

That I would agree with.
Posted 8 Aug 2015
Chandos
Photographer
Chandos
And I thought it was lack of activities in PS why new models leave. I often been told by models to not contact them through PS because they don't use this site anymore which they no longer update.

Maybe the poster might be interested to check if the models are active in other modelling forums?

Posted 8 Aug 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
This will come across as having a pop, but is intended in good faith. Whilst there have always been a high proportion of folk who appear here as photographers or models and then never really engage other than perhaps to prove to their friends they've 'arrived' it's also fair to say that of you're going to cast aspersions about others - you ought to be pretty certain of your own projected image and activity first. To turn that lens around then, if anyone checked out your websites for the first time today ( as I just have) it'd cast into serious doubt your lengthy list of accolades ( and I think beginning in 1986 is lengthy) and ability to provide positive experiences for new models in terms of exposure and pay. I'll use the example of calender work, and make no comment on your photography; the amazon review of one of these purchased, which most stood out was this for me...

'Home made on an inkjet printer which in my case was running low on coloured ink!
At least it has the days of the month on it so I can work out when Im supposed to be awake and when Im not.
Was this review helpful?

In this case, no, I expect you didn't think it helpful as reviews go, and perhaps if possible collaborators see this, allied to your incredibly duff looking website, they might feel something doesn't quite add up and avoid further contact?

I expect considerable flak will ensue for these comment, but wonder if you're a bit blinkered as to the reality of the situation not only for models who don't quite match expectations or advertisement, but also for photographers?

Posted 8 Aug 2015
Edited by profilepictures 8 Aug 2015
bdfoto
Photographer
bdfoto
profilepictures

This will come across as having a pop, but is intended in good faith.  

Fair comment, and no offence taken.

Let's deal with Amazon first.

I've had three duff bits of feedback on Amazon in six years:
  • One was removed by the reviewer who admitted it was malicious;
  • On the one you cite, the reviewer undertook to remove it after I politely pointed out that the calendars were printed on laser (as was stated clearly in the product description ... I complied with the Trades Descriptions Act) ... but never did;
  • The only other one is the subject of an Amazon investigation at the moment in light of the Competitions and Marketing Authority's own investigations into fake reviews (not just Amazon ... but sites such as Trip Advisor).  Amazon themselves are currently reviewing the third, I think I have identified the buyer, and I am 99% certain the origin is the same as the first (malicious) review which was removed.  
  • On Amazon performance reviews, where I can positively identify the buyer by order number on every occasion, my rating is not far off 100%.
There are at least two reports in the media on Google search, and they are cross-referenced by the BBC, of Amazon's own investigations into fake reviews.

On another site where I work, and where buyer and seller can identify each other, I enjoy a 4.98 out of 5 star rating.

As for my longevity in the industry:
  • Whilst undertaking regular work for a small entertainment and modelling agency in Sussex in 1986 I shot the portfolio that got Clare Mulholland into Select Agency, still in the industry but now based in the USA.
  • I was, to the best of my knowledge and belief, the highest grossing fundraiser for Photo Aid, the industry's response to Live Aid / Band Aid which is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year, where I worked alongside Page 3 icon, Linda Lusardi.  The late Geoff Wootten was involved with that fundraising effort too.
I did largely step out from behind the lens into photographic laboratory and studio management for some years and also worked in the advertising industry very successfully from 1990 to 2008 whilst doing a little freelance photography.

And I personally always respond to messages within 24 hours, or tell the other party why I am unable to do so.

And yes, I know the websites need a serious makeover.

frown

Posted 8 Aug 2015
Edited by bdfoto 8 Aug 2015
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Chandos

And I thought it was lack of activities in PS why new models leave. I often been told by models to not contact them through PS because they don't use this site anymore which they no longer update. Maybe the poster might be interested to check if the models are active in other modelling forums?

A number of models I know tell me they have been encouraged to go elsewhere by some photographers on this site, but what these guys don't tell the girls is that they are trying to generate free membership upgrades for their account by intoducing the models to another site.
Bob

Posted 9 Aug 2015
Chandos
Photographer
Chandos
Bob
A number of models I know tell me they have been encouraged to go elsewhere by some photographers on this site, but what these guys don't tell the girls is that they are trying to generate free membership upgrades for their account by intoducing the models to another site. Bob
So these photographers who got free account upgrades must think the other site is worth joining, while contributing the downfall of PS. Does PS has the same policy? If not maybe they should
Posted 9 Aug 2015
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Chandos

So these photographers who got free account upgrades must think the other site is worth joining, while contributing the downfall of PS. 

Bearing in mind some of the people on the other place, and some of things allowed on there which are not allowed on PS, I am sure a number of users of that site value it a lot more than they value PS and consequently have a vested interest in luring new models over there at the earliest opportunity.
Chandos

Does PS has the same policy?

Not as far as I am aware.
Chandos

If not maybe they should

PS appears to be much better at attracting newcomer models whereas the other site appears to be more geared to encouraging its members to attract models in from other sites. I suspect this site's problem (in addition to the inevitable web developer interest fade issue which has afflicted just about every popular UK-centric site over the last 12 or so years) probably has more to do with it not keeping its existing model members rather than attracting new ones.

Much as I like PS, I'm afraid it is going the way of ModelPlace, OneModelPlace, MuseCube, Net-Model, iwannabeamodel, TheModelsClub, UKPhotoModels, Web-Models, AllModelZone and all the others. Even MM has been in decline since its web developer owner sold it on. The site some refer to as 'IWantToBePaid' and some other call 'Smoke&Mirrors' appears to still have a very busy popcorn area, but I suspect those who have been on it since its inception might be noticing that all is not what it was over there either.

Wouldn't it be great to be able to turn t'internet back to about 2008/9?
Bob

Posted 9 Aug 2015
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Bob

A number of models I know tell me they have been encouraged to go elsewhere by some photographers on this site, but what these guys don't tell the girls is that they are trying to generate free membership upgrades for their account by intoducing the models to another site.

Yup. Just watch how quickly the new model members here join the other site then drop them a polite litte message enquiring what made them do so...
Posted 10 Aug 2015
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
To address the OP's issue and trying to be constructive although it might not seem like it.

These sites are full of bullshitters whose claims do not match the style and quality of their imagery. Even new models become quickly acquainted with that - either through bitter experience or by working up relationships with experienced models and photographers upon whose advice and opinion they rely.

To me your profile and portfolio comes across in exactly that way - there's a mismatch between the impression given by your claims and what's in your port. I'm not saying that your claims are false - far from it. Just that people won't look into the detail of your claims and understand their relative merits properly so they just see it as hype. You need to fix one or the other, or both, such that they're more intuitively aligned IMO.
Posted 10 Aug 2015
Edited by marlhamphoto 10 Aug 2015
MG
Photographer
MG
This site doesn't mind you using the name purpleport. If anything it's purpleport that minds you using the name pursetorm or model maxim. As for your portfolio and your comments.... Bluntly speaking... who cares what it says! We dont need to know about photoaid or anything else. You were presumably wanting to pay the models in question and I'm pretty sure that most models don't even read your portfolio notes. An awful lot won't even look at your images! All they're interested in is to see the pictures of your £50 notes! So my advice is to delete most of your notes.

As for the quality of your images.... again, who cares if you are paying them!

Posted 12 Aug 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join