Starting photography. Need advice

Starting photography. Need advice

33 posts
7 Aug 2015
Hi all. I have had a camera for years now but I haven't used it much! I have a Canon 600D and I also have lights (Bowens) I have a standard lens (can't remember which one at this time) But I was wondering - What's the best lens to get started with? I know they can be very expensive, but would like a decent one. People I have spoke to says my lens is not good enough for what I want to be able to do... Which is portraits, family photos, models etc I just want to be abel to have a good range. Thanks in advance for any help! Roxy
Posted 7 Aug 2015
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Hi Roxy,
I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice - most of it different to the previous advice!

But anyway you can approach this situation in a few ways:

Buy a Canon 50mm f1.8 STM lens at around £100 - this will suffice for the time being

Buy a cheap(ish) zoom lens, but not really worth doing as you'll only want to replace it before long

Spend loads of money on a decent lens straight away, such as Canon 24-105mm f4L IS at about £650. This will last you a very long time (Been using mine for 9 years now).

Some people will suggest you buy EF-S lenses as your camera is not full frame, I would advise against that as by buying EF lenses, they will fit any new Canon camera you buy whether it be full frame or APS-C, whereas EF-S lenses will not fit full frame bodies.

Dave

Posted 7 Aug 2015
Hi Dave - Appreciate your advice, thank you. What does "Full frame" actually mean? Because I know about framing, I better understand what that means too though! I have just checked - I have a EFS 18-55mm please say that makes sense? haha Thank you, Roxy
Posted 7 Aug 2015
I am going to paste what i've found and i'll leave you to tell me if they're any good!? (I am planning to have tutorials/courses so I have a vague idea of whats going on!) Maybe somebody could tell me what all the different letters mean? ... Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM APO Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS Sigma 10-20mm F4/5.6 DC HSM (Canon EOS Fit)
Posted 7 Aug 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Those two are oddball lenses, not very practical for many uses.

DG is Sigma's term for full-frame compatible lenses (I think)
DC is Sigma's term for crop-sensor compatible lenses (which the 600D is)
OS is an optical stabiliser (it wobbles about to compensate for your wobbling)
HSM is HyperSonic Motor (the AF motor, it means it'll be fast and quiet)
APO is Apochromatic Lens element (it's a buzzword for one of the pieces of glass inside the lens... better quality image basically)

The 'full frame' refers to the sensor size (nothing to do with framing)

Posted 7 Aug 2015
Thanks for you help RedChecker. I will continue searching for a good but cost effective lens! Perhaps there's some for sale on here second hand??
Posted 7 Aug 2015
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan

Yep, agree those two lenses not really much use to you. The 18-55 EF-S which you have is OK and will get you started, use apertures between 5.6 and 11 and the results will be OK for now - it will certainly get you started while you look for something else.

Seriously you wouldn't go far wrong with a 24-105mm f4L - new £650, secondhand maybe try London Camera Exchange or Wex as you get a guarantee

Dave

Posted 7 Aug 2015
Edited by eosfan 7 Aug 2015
Hi Dave - I have used my camera a few times so maybe it's just me that's the problem, not the lens. Ha ha I will look at the ones you suggested though. I just need to figure how out to use it properly! For natural light and stuff like that , would my lens be okay? I definitely think it's me... lol Thanks again, Roxy
Posted 7 Aug 2015
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
I'm going to disagree with the above a little. Go with what you have for now. Yes it is an odd set of lenses.

One goes from 'normal' 50 mm to very wide angle. The latter end being genrally unflattering for portraits. The other starts at one end of the 'ideal' portrait lens and goes on to a zoom more suited for shooting birds of a feathered sort than those on here.

As you camera is a 'crop' sensor I would put away the bigger lens and go for the 18-50 zoom. Not quite the 24-70 24-100 I prefer for most work but at this stage you would be better investing spare cash on training than kit. Even a cheap kit lens will prove more than good enough initially.

Posted 7 Aug 2015
redbaron - thank you very, very much, I have had a couple of private emails suggested I try a 50 as well. I will certainly be looking in to that as well - how much are they second hand?? Thanks again, Roxy
Posted 7 Aug 2015
HELP!? Quick question .... TAMRON SIGMA or CANON lens??? So confused!!!
Posted 7 Aug 2015
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-18-50mm-f3-5-5-6-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0001VQ124 http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-tamron-17-50mm-f2-8-xr-di-ii-ld-asp-if-lens-canon-fit/p1013810?cm_mmc=googlebase-extension-_-camera-lenses-_-canon-fit-_-tamron-17-50mm-f2-8-xr-di-ii-ld-asp-if-lens-canon-fit_1013810&utm_source=googlebase-extension&mkwid=szumi23al_dc&pcrid=72342106689&kword=&match=&plid=&gclid=cj-morktl8ccfstitaodqv8bjw I'm never going to find one am I? haha
Posted 7 Aug 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I agree with redbaron, the 18-55 is the lens to start with as it covers the most widely used range of focal lengths.

Once you're used to it, something like a 50mm or 85mm prime (Canon's f1.8 versions are imo affordable) may be a nice addition that will produce great quality images on a crop sensor that will be a close match to far more expensive lenses on full frame bodies.

Posted 7 Aug 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
Canon 50mm f1.8 mk2. About £60 second hand will allow you to take pictures you feel proud of right now. It's a weak plastic noisy toy to look at and feel, but the glass beats everything in its price range. You can sell it ( and you will) for the same when you make the upgrade to Sigma.

Posted 7 Aug 2015
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
RoxyMendez

redbaron - thank you very, very much, I have had a couple of private emails suggested I try a 50 as well. I will certainly be looking in to that as well - how much are they second hand?? Thanks again, Roxy

As I understood your posts you have a 18mm-55mm lens that effectively covers 50mm. Assumin gyou are photographing people then the 50mm will do you just fine for now. I would keep clear of the very wide angle end of that lens for a while though as it can cause nasty distortion to features and body unless you know exactly how to take advantage of that.

Posted 7 Aug 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join