CD Printer

16 posts
5 Aug 2015
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
Anyone know of a reasonably priced CD/DVD printer. Full colour and good quality. Doesn't seem the easiest thing to find/review/price up.

Posted 5 Aug 2015
oscar
Photographer
oscar
It's not clear what you want.
Do you want to print on 'printable CD'? Canon and Epson, maybe HP, do them. I use an old Canon pixma 4000 which has a CD printing facility. You can buy A4 sheets of CD labels to use with any printer.

Posted 6 Aug 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
The problem with printable CDs is (from experience) that their quality isn't as good, plus they tend to smudge a lot during printing. Labels are fine (IMO) for a small business.

If you do need something more professional, I personally would consider getting bulk screen printed discs (make sure they're decent ones though).

Posted 6 Aug 2015
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
Don't want labels. Basically just want a printer that will print straight onto a blank white disc. In colour and pref decent quality. Each one will be tailored made for the client so I cant do a batch with a company. Each on would be personally designed. Seen a few cheap ebay ones but I wondered if anyone had one they used.

Don't really want to re mortgage for the ink either.

Posted 6 Aug 2015
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhoto..
How about a Canon Pixma IP7520 (about £65), or similar from other manufacturers. Couple that with some "glossy CD/DVD blanks and they are capable of extremely high quality printing. To save a few quid, you can always buy compatible cartridges for them.

Posted 6 Aug 2015
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
Just noticed that on Wex and was debating. Looks to be possibly the one. Thanks.

Posted 6 Aug 2015
Spike
Photographer
Spike
Avoid labels - used to shoot for a manufacturer of disc players of all types, their biggest reason for repairs was jams due to labels on discs either not correctly applied or lifting slightly, mainly due to poor storage, the las thing you want is one of YOUR discs to screw up a client's player.

Posted 7 Aug 2015
Edited by Spike 7 Aug 2015
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
Picking up the ip7250 at Argos today.
Posted 7 Aug 2015
FrameworksMedia
Photographer
FrameworksMe..
I use older series Epson stylus R series. 6 colour ink cartridges generally cost less that £1 each. Ink coverage for a disc is next to nothing compared to printing A4/A3 and a couple of hundred disks should cost less than £5 to print, but can be time consuming hence the reason for multiple printers. I also use silver faced Verbatim disks to give a 'holographic' style full colour coverage - well worth trying if you want your presentation to look a little special. Never had problems with reliability. Current model looks to be something like the Epson P50 at around £130.

Posted 7 Aug 2015
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
http://www.rivieramultimedia.co.uk/jvc-taiyo-yuden-cd-r-watershield-white-c2x9264535

Went for these disks. And the dvd ones too. Not the cheapest but apparently the best quality. Had an argos voucher left over from a while ago for the printer.

Posted 9 Aug 2015
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
Update Don't try and set this printer up alone if you have any heart problems! It nearly went out the window a few times. Took over an hour to manage to get it to print a disk after downloading additional software and things. Happy with the quality though and that was on an old disc so I shall see what it is like on the new ones and also how cost effective it turns out to be on ink. Surprised as a canon fan.
Posted 9 Aug 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
In all fairness though, printing has never been something for the feint-hearted. I've owned various printers for the last 30 years as well as the ones in work and none of them have ever been straight forward, be it driver issues, calibration issues or simply getting hold of spares (eg. Epson don't give you long before the printers become obsolete as far as consumables go and at work we're forever chucking perfectly good printers out simply because you can't buy toner/ink for them).
Posted 10 Aug 2015
MG
Photographer
MG
I used to use an Epsom R1800 to print Cd's with. It does easily rub off though so I used to get a can of clear lacquer and spray them afterwards. Car spray lacquer works fine.

Posted 10 Aug 2015
pvfb
Photographer
pvfb
We use an (old) Canon photo printer at the office... the key to good results is the CDs... the ones you've bought are the ones we've found to be the best, they don't smear even with a wet finger.

JVC-Taiyo-Yuden also do a non-waterproof version which is cheaper and is very good at accepting inkjet print but will smear slightly with a wet finger... all the others we've tested over the years easily smear even when handled gently.

Posted 14 Aug 2015
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
Actually got the hang of it now and happy. But the software it comes with forget completely and it wasn't particularly fool proof. My problem was I didn't realise you need to press print prior to actually loading and sorting the cd out. So it kept spitting it back out, which in turn kept marking the disc. Happy with it now it will do the job. But not what I would call a usual Canon product. The new discs are great but I didn't realise with those either (because they don't say on them) that green bottom is cdr and purple bottom is Dvd. So I've learnt something new.
Posted 14 Aug 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join