New to fashion photography - what do you think?

New to fashion photography - what do you think?

18 posts
27 July 2015
GFWilliams
Photographer
GFWilliams
Hello all, I've been a member on here for years now but haven't been as active as I'd have liked to have been. I'm predominantly an Automotive Photographer, but have recently taken an interest in doing more fashion work. This was my first real crack at a fashion shoot, it was a massive learning curve and if I were to do it again I could do it a lot better already, but I'd love to hear some feedback from the experts on here and hear what I've missed and how you all think the set could be better. The model is Elle Harris from Norwich and it was styled by Louise Lace. bts video here: https://vimeo.com/132867411 George
Posted 27 July 2015
TheChrisS
Photographer
TheChrisS
I quite like the 2nd and 3rd shots.

The 4th has a bit of dull lighting IMO.

The others - not a fan of the composition. You've cut off the car and there is too much sky.

They're all sharp though and a great model choice.

Posted 27 July 2015
swalsh58
Photographer
swalsh58
I quite like the first 4, not a fan of the last ones though

Posted 27 July 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
Bloody good show mate, knocks 95% of the stuff on here off its perch and if these are your first attempts, I'd expect very good things of you in the future too.

What a treat to see something nice here.

Posted 27 July 2015
kt101
Photographer
kt101
5 and 6 do it for me.
1 and 2 seem to have too much emphasis on the car.
3 and 4 are a little dark for my liking.
In all though, bloody good work.
You need to be proud of yourself.

Posted 28 July 2015
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
profilepictures

Bloody good show mate, knocks 95% of the stuff on here off its perch and if these are your first attempts, I'd expect very good things of you in the future too. What a treat to see something nice here.

Same here.  Good job.
Posted 28 July 2015
tthompson01
Photographer
tthompson01
A great set of images, and as said by profile pictures better than many produce on here.

However in my opinion (for what it's worth) they are more about the car and the landscape than the garments the model is wearing.

Surely a great fashion shot should first and foremost concentrate the viewer on the garment that is what matters, here I am more drawn to the car and or the landscape finally the model, my last thought is what she is wearing.

Most will probably disagree with my view, but I thought I would give it anyway.

I still think they are a great set and very well executed as images.

Posted 28 July 2015
paule
Photographer
paule
very nice set.. 2,3 & 5 I like the most.. 3 especially..

Posted 28 July 2015
djb1
Photographer
djb1
Excellent photography, but very little to do with fashion work which, primarily, features the clothes and the model not the surroundings.

Posted 28 July 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
I'm guessing fine if this is well intentioned, but in context we see all too many pictures of an indifferent looking woman with her pants off and a 'new look' shirt unbuttoned under the heading of 'fashion' here all the time! If you've a great landscape and props you use them (as here) ideally with supplementary shots of garment details of your doing a spread for a magazine etc. any of these pictures with a fee very simple closer views of the garments would make a quality spread in any glossy mag. I'm not left in any doubt that the author can produce that - but frankly, who the hell would comment positively on a picture here of a halter neckline or some interesting buttons?

Posted 28 July 2015
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
Outstanding. Excellent photography and any one of them would look at home in a glossy mag. Some of the classiest work I've seen here.

Posted 28 July 2015
dannyrich
Photographer
dannyrich
Some excellent shots there, great work. Im with the others in that I think its exceptional.

Posted 28 July 2015
I think they're all amazing shots
Posted 28 July 2015
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
tthompson01

A great set of images, and as said by profile pictures better than many produce on here. However in my opinion (for what it's worth) they are more about the car and the landscape than the garments the model is wearing. Surely a great fashion shot should first and foremost concentrate the viewer on the garment

djb1

Excellent photography, but very little to do with fashion work which, primarily, features the clothes and the model not the surroundings.

There's more to 'fashion photography' than garments.

Read up on 'editorial fashion photography' versus 'advertising / commercial fashion photography'.

Link -  http://www.fashionphotographyblog.com/2009/12/advertising-vs-editorial/

Best regards
Paul

Posted 28 July 2015
GFWilliams
Photographer
GFWilliams
Thanks for all the comments all I was a bit disappointed with the lighting on the last two shots, but as I said a learning curve. As for what fashion photography is and what falls under different categories I think sometimes it's nice to not worry too much and just enjoy yourself. The shoot was done at quite high expense to myself (I'm not used to paying to make shoots happen!) as an exercise to learn and make my portfolio better. Next time I'm intending to get some sponsors involved and do something even better. I might even leave the cars out, although that's unlikely
Posted 28 July 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join