Etsy, is it worth it?

6 posts
26 July 2015
MikeDanby
Photographer
MikeDanby
Hi,

Not sure if this is in the right place, appologies if it isn't.

I've had a search on this but haven't really found the answer.

I'm thinking of setting up on Etsy selling prints (not necessarily figurative), now I've looked at all the costs etc. and the numbers all seem to stack up as quite nicely. But obviously there's one thing that mere numbers won't tell anyone, if it will be worth setting up and the cost of doing so, and that is are there enough people buying from there.

So what I'm after finding out is, if anyone on here has tried it and did it work out, I'm not necessarily after specific numbers, but more along the lines of - was it worth it for you, did it work out as you'd expected it to, better than expected, or did you write it off as a bad job?

I know people have different styles and subjects etc., so what will work for one won't necessarily work for another, but I just thought that if I went into it with my eyes open, not rose tinted, it would give me a better idea what to expect.

Thanks.

Mike.

Posted 26 July 2015

Etsy used to be fairly respected - mainly for home=made crafter/artists but in recent times its been slightly overtaken by mass produce tack from sellers based in Asia.

I have to admit Etsy is not the website I would use if I were looking to buy art/photographs - I think of it more for interesting clothing/home made decorations and accessories.

If there is an initial outlay I would really think about it before parting with money - will your work sell to random browsers on a website which is known for home made crafting?

Posted 26 July 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
I'd say not, test really is where you might still go looking for craft stuff, packaging etc but not prints. If you want convenience and gallery hosting with easy secure payment ( which can be linked from your website in most cases) try smugmug. You won't make a fortune but if you have pictures people want, they be able to download at a set cost, or to have prints, canvas and framed stuff sent direct to their door. It's not a huge money spinner but does drop cash in, this week about £90 on ours.

But, you've still got to have a picture people want to buy, and to market it well. I'm just not sure how many photographs hit that note with the public these days?

Posted 26 July 2015
Edited by profilepictures 26 July 2015
MikeDanby
Photographer
MikeDanby
Well, thanks for the responses. The funny thing was that I only started to consider Etsy because I bought one or two things off there as props, and then started to look around in the art section, liked what I was seeing, so then started to research costs etc. to see if I could make it work (in theory). And as I've put - in theory it could work. Hence my question.

Posted 27 July 2015
riddell
Photographer
riddell

It would be unlikely that its Etsy or any other site that would be the failure point to lack of sales. Quite honestly there are literally thousands upon thousands upon thousands of images for sale out there.

To make sales you really need to stand out. Most photos I see for sale don't even get close.

Posted 28 July 2015
MikeDanby
Photographer
MikeDanby
Fair point.

Posted 28 July 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join