canon 6d repair advice

canon 6d repair advice

12 posts
28 June 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
Anyone know much about theassembly of canon cameras, specifically the 6d, though I think others will be similar?

Mine has a problem with the bottom contact of the 4 way switch inside the rotary control ( bottom right as you hold the camera) everything else is working but it failed yesterday on a job and left me with out easy access to my lower focus points and zoom movement in review.

I would assume the part isn't very expensive, but wonder if it's a big disassembly job to fit? High costs might make it easier to get another camera than fix this one as its done me proud already.

Posted 28 June 2015
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Telephone Fixation. They are very helpful over the 'phone and will almost certainly give you a ball-park figure. Turn round is fast and they are very easy to do business with.

020 7582 3294.

Posted 28 June 2015
Liteangle
Photographer
Liteangle
I also had an excellent result with Fixation earlier this month, so it's definitely worth giving them a try. They are in Vauxhall. Good luck!

Posted 28 June 2015
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Colchester Camera Repair

http://camera-repair.co.uk

They're one the approved Canon repair centres and they do a drop in and wait service for some repairs.

They do quotes upfront, so you decide whether to get it fixed or buy a new camera.

Posted 28 June 2015
Edited by HowardJ 28 June 2015
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Canon do fixed price repairs irrespective of what is wrong, might be worth asking them.

Posted 28 June 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
Thanks all, its not an issue of where to get repairs, I've had crc at Colchester do work for me before and would use again. It's knowing if it's a drop off or drop in job.

Posted 28 June 2015
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhoto..
profilepictures

I would assume the part isn't very expensive, but wonder if it's a big disassembly job to fit? High costs might make it easier to get another camera than fix this one as its done me proud already.

Fixation may give you a fixed quote for repair, or a pretty good idea of the cost.  As a new 6D is still over £1k, I think I would give a repair a chance first.

Posted 29 June 2015
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
profilepictures
Thanks all, its not an issue of where to get repairs, I've had crc at Colchester do work for me before and would use again. It's knowing if it's a drop off or drop in job.
Give them a call. I'm seem to remember they can give you that kind of answer on the phone.
Posted 29 June 2015
MG
Photographer
MG
Depending on the shutter count and age of the camera and whether you brought it to tne UK or you bought it in tne UK then Canon and the retailer may well be obliged to repair it free of charge. It can't be that old as they were only released about 2 and a half years ago... Sounds obvious but have you tried googling your issue? My 6d has never skipped a beat and hoping it remains that way
Posted 15 July 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
MG

My 6d has never skipped a beat and hoping it remains that way

He's got a button that's broken after a couple of years of use,  I personally think that qualifies as fair wear and tear, not some inherent design fault (this is a consumer camera remember, it's not designed for heavy regular shooting).
Posted 17 July 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
My original point had been to see if anyone knows how easy it is to get a 6d apart, as checker says - I've a button that's gone wonky and my pair of 6d have been working bloody hard for over two years! The consumer tag means that they aren't fully weather sealed and whilst leaning over a balcony above a crowded dance floor at a reception ( in the apex of a high ceiling hall in very hot conditions) I know a drop or two of sweat got into the switch and has probably messed it up. Ideally I'd like to have whipped the machine apart and dropped another ( probably inexpensive switch part ) into the camera, but will have to wait now until off season for a service and repair.

Posted 17 July 2015
Edited by profilepictures 17 July 2015
MG
Photographer
MG
Google is your friend.... https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Canon_EOS_6D Good luck with it.... If you are using your cameras professionally though I wouldn't attempt a professional repair job yourself as you can't afford to be on a job and it fails on you... so bluntly speaking don't be tight and get Fixation to fix it for you!
Posted 17 July 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join