Problems importing from Canon 1D-X into Lightroom 5

Problems importing from Canon 1D-X into Lightroom 5

16 posts
22 June 2015
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Hi all,

Just bought a Canon EOS 1D-X and had two shoots so far.
Ist shoot - 250 images onto CF card 1 (RAW) and simultaneously onto CF card 2 (small jpeg)
Plugged card reader with CF card contacting RAW images into USB on MacPro, opened Lightroom 5 and started import as usual - appeared to be importing one file at a time and eventually took just over two hours to finish import in to LR.

Obviously not happy with this so used different make CF card for 2nd shoot.
150 images again RAW to CF1, small jpeg to CF2
Plugged CF1 (RAW) into card reader into USB on MacPro and started import into LR5 again. It imported 10 images then stopped with message "unable to recognise file format. 140 files not imported"

I then copied RAW files from CF card (in reader) straight to MacPro hard disk (no problem), opened Lightroom and imported/copied them into LR catalog without moving files - completed in a matter of minutes with no errors.

So at the moment, I am baffled and confused as to where the problem may lie - anyone else had any such issues with 1D-X and Lightroom?

Any useful suggestions appreciated.

Dave

Posted 22 June 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
At first glance I'd have thought it could be a card reader problem (had this with newer cards & older readers in the past) but the fact that you've transferred the images to the hard disk without issue contradicts that.

Someone on this thread thinks it's a permissions issue as others have suffered it:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1400506

Posted 22 June 2015
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
RedChecker
Someone on this thread thinks it's a permissions issue as others have suffered it: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1400506
Yes! Everything the OP says is what I'm seeing - no solutions though, but somewhere to look - thanks.
Posted 22 June 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I'd personally rather copy to the hard drive anyway regardless of what system, at least then you know that no application's going to be doing things with the memory cards that you don't want while they're accessing it *

* - for example, if I use my memory cards from my camcorder and load them direct into Sony Vegas Pro, if memory servers me correctly it creates peak files for the audio and some other file for the video actually on the memory card.
Posted 22 June 2015
Edited by RedChecker 22 June 2015
Liteangle
Photographer
Liteangle
Hi Dave,

Have you tried using the USB port on your camera to download them without using a card reader?

Alan

Posted 23 June 2015
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Liteangle
Hi Dave, Have you tried using the USB port on your camera to download them without using a card reader? Alan
Hi Alan, no hadn't thought of that, will give it a go but will probably stick to Redchecker's suggestion of copying to HDD then simply adding to LR catalog. Dave
Posted 23 June 2015
pompeytog
Photographer
pompeytog
Liteangle

Hi Dave, Have you tried using the USB port on your camera to download them without using a card reader? Alan

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but is there any reason to use a card reader rather than download straight from camera? I always download this way and never had problems although I'm only using a canon 5D Mk1.
Posted 23 June 2015
Liteangle
Photographer
Liteangle
pompeytog

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but is there any reason to use a card reader rather than download straight from camera? I always download this way and never had problems although I'm only using a canon 5D Mk1.

Not at all, I'm sure Dave is keen to receive any constructive advice however I think you are suggesting the same solution as I am.
Posted 23 June 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
pompeytog

Many don't like it because you're simply putting extra wear/tear on the batteries for the transfer.

Some cameras also have poor USB implementation and as such are quite slow at transferring files via USB.
Posted 23 June 2015
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Well, firstly thank you to you all for your replies, to answer the questions:

No there is no reason not to download directly from the camera, for some (unknown) reason I have always downloaded via a card reader.

So I have tried direct download and …….success! Imported the same 156 files from 1D-X into Lightroom and copied onto two HDD simultaneously in around 7 minutes - no failures, no hiccups.

After all that I have no idea of the reason, but am of course pleased camera is ok and have "learnt" of two new ways of getting files into LR

Thanks again for your help

Dave

Posted 23 June 2015
Liteangle
Photographer
Liteangle
RedChecker

Many don't like it because you're simply putting extra wear/tear on the batteries for the transfer.

Some cameras also have poor USB implementation and as such are quite slow at transferring files via USB.

Personally I'm not so concerned about wear and tear on batteries, they can be replaced, I'm more concerned about wear and tear on connectors and USB look a lot more fragile than CF connectors so that's an argument for removing the CF card and plugging it into a card reader. Hey ho, trade-offs wherever you look.
Posted 23 June 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
It's almost a shame that NFC (Near Field Communication) technology hasn't been more forthcoming.

Sony demonstrated a camera some years ago that you sat on small pad next to your computer (with no direct electrical contacts) and there were induction coils (or something similar) in the camera that provided enough power to transfer the images without using any battery power on the camera, albeit at a slower speed than USB.

Some sort of dock that would do this would, I imagine, be something people would buy especially if it charged the camera at the same time (if needed).

Posted 24 June 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Interestingly an article on Canon Rumors published today has hinted at NFC for the successor to the 6D:

Canon’s Full Frame Future
Posted 24 June 2015
Liteangle
Photographer
Liteangle
Interesting, thanks. NFC wouldn't be a feature to interest me, WIFI (already on some models) or Bluetooth for data transfer would be more interesting but only when I feel the need to change my camera for more important reasons - higher ISO/dynamic range, better auto-focusing, better burst speed. I'm sure I'll be happy with my 5DIII for at least another couple of years.

Posted 24 June 2015
MG
Photographer
MG
Liteangle

Interesting, thanks. NFC wouldn't be a feature to interest me, WIFI (already on some models) or Bluetooth for data transfer would be more interesting but only when I feel the need to change my camera for more important reasons - higher ISO/dynamic range, better auto-focusing, better burst speed. I'm sure I'll be happy with my 5DIII for at least another couple of years.

I use a 5DIII with wifi on it.... Cost around £50. I've talked about it before in the forums so search for it or google 'DSLR controller'. Sorry I have no idea how it got from 1DX to a 5D III with wifi?.... I must have missed a few posts
Posted 24 June 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join